Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:57 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
iPod touch is one-third of iPod, iOS sales to date
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ld-to-date.ars
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:30 PM   #182
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I assumed as much which is why I looked towards the OEM market results but that just confused me more since I figured total Samsung versus total Apple would be an Apples to Apples comparison (pun intended). I know the OEM is share of mobile subscribers, which I expect isn't counting WiFi only models of the iPad, Xoom or Galaxy Tab type products, but is that really enough to bump Apple from 8.3% to 44% aggregate across ALL mobile OS platforms?
I've been trying to crunch the numbers but it doesn't add up.

If we work backwards, we assume 200M iOS devices = 44% of a global mobile device market, or 454M mobile devices globally. That seems pretty small to me, given that symbian devices account for some 300+M units globally.

If we compare the claimed 200M iOS devices sold against the US market, the numbers still don't work given comscore's claimed 74.6M smartphone US market. Even if you adjusted the 200M number to be proportional for the US with other available data. I don't even know that comscore released global stats either so this scenario seems the more likely. Edit: just watched WWDC cast, the slide in question does claim comscore sourcing and references the US market.

Bottom line, Apple math is dubious, likely works only within ADF (Apple distortion field).

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Jun 6, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:33 PM   #183
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

My question is gentlemen: WHY DO YOU PEOPLE CARE WHERE THESE NUMBERS ARE FROM?

The reason why Apple stat pads their numbers like every other corporation out there is basically for stock holders.

End of story. They number could be off by 10-20% but it doesn't matter, as long as it works for the investors.

Let me tell you that RIM does this ALL the time, and it isn't funny how bad the "inner stories" I've heard that I can't talk about because the bomb they placed in my head will explode.

None of these numbers mean anything and they will source any place that will make their numbers look good. All these corporations are floated by stock market pricing, and are incredibly volatile, they need every single bit of their sales pitch to look good. If Steve Jobs falls down the steps and breaks a leg, guess what the price of Apple stock tomorrow will be?

Stop grabbing at straws and arguing over nothing.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:35 PM   #184
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Padding your numbers for stockholders = major SEC violation.

Also, as a consumer the company that feeds me the least malarkey usually gets my dollar.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:56 PM   #185
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

The SEC is a joke.

Slapping iOS 5 Beta on iPad right now.

Ugh, have to download iTunes 10.5 beta. Should have seen that coming. But it's true, you can now set up your iPad/iOS without a PC.

They replaced the "iPod" app and it looks like terrible, but it's not as if I was using my iPad as a music player. I still have a 2 year old iPod for that function, being more convenient. Haven't added music and such to the iPad (as of this writing, still waiting for iTunes 10.5 beta to download).

The four-finger upswipe appears gone so I'm back to the double home button click to get to the task manager.

By default, the rotation switch goes back to mute but quickly changed in Settings.

The keyboard. Well, not sure what the whole point of undocking is. I don't particularly like the thumbs mode being a touch typist myself. The one thing I wish Apple would do is create a proper keypad version for numeric entry for the iPad. For iPhone you can use the telephone keypad but it doesn't exist on the iPad at all.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Jun 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:04 PM   #186
Zero
Sass hole

Ok so US market according to comscore:

74.6M smartphones

36.4% google = 27.1M
26% apple = 19.4M
25.7% RIM = 19.1M
9.3% MS/Palm = 6.9M

Given that we're also counting an unknown amount of android tablets, ipads and ipod touches, let's work with RIM who didn't have a tablet as of the date of these stats. So if RIM's 19.1M smartphones using the BB OS accounts for 19% of the mobile OS market in the US, the total market must be (easily enough) 100M mobile devices.

That gives us the following breakdown:

44M iOS devices (19.4M iPhones, and 23.6M ipads/ipod touches allegedly)
28M android devices (less than 1M tablets on top of their smartphones, comment later)
19M RIM devices
and 9M other (I guess we're not counting archaic tablet OSs from MS, or they are stat insignificant)

So the numbers kind of work. iPod touches sold about 60M globally and iPads about 25M globally from last know data. It's proportional enough that 10M of each came from the US.

The only point I would raise is their count of Android devices. I know xoom and tab are the big ones out there and have not sold very well so a combined total of less than 1M units sold makes sense. But Barnes & Noble have claimed at least 3M units sold of the nook color. And we're also not counting the number of imported android tablets, which may or may not affect the numbers.

So Apple's math isn't wayyy off, it's just taking into account their massive lead in tablet and PMP markets and comparing it to a pretty much smartphone-only game at this point. Mystery solved

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Jun 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:13 PM   #187
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
but is that really enough to bump Apple from 8.3% to 44% aggregate across ALL mobile OS platforms?
I think the 8.3% you're referencing here is percentage of all phones in the US that are iphones. 20M iphones / 234M phones.

A surprising number of dumbphones vs smartphones in the US then (only about 30% are smartphones).

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:24 PM   #188
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

What's missing from this announcement is an update to the maps application. They really need to do something with their antiquated maps app.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:38 PM   #189
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I think the 8.3% you're referencing here is percentage of all phones in the US that are iphones. 20M iphones / 234M phones.

A surprising number of dumbphones vs smartphones in the US then (only about 30% are smartphones).
Nokia and Samsung are still top sellers of phones by a wide margin, so yes smart phones is only a *miniscule* amount in the market.

You can't really beat the 8-9 phones Rogers gives out for free at a plan rate of 20 bucks a month vs a 199 iPhone that'll cost you 80 bucks a month.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:01 PM   #190
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

One huge change is that when you now synch an iOS device, it will load all the data to the device in the background. No longer do you have to wait or cancel.

Just debating on whether to add the 10.7 beta on my iMac....

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:14 PM   #191
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Other features:

Old apps are available from your previous purchase in the store. Even stuff that's no longer available, you can now require it again.

iBooks now available in iTunes.

You can buy extra storage in icloud in addition to the free 5gb

LED flash can be used for new imessages and calls a la Blackberry
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:58 PM   #192
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Other features:

Old apps are available from your previous purchase in the store. Even stuff that's no longer available, you can now require it again.
That's not new at all.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean there.

Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:30 AM   #193
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Other features:

You can buy extra storage in icloud in addition to the free 5gb

why would i want to buy a book on itunes and give jobs his 30%

and icloud is mostly useless for anyone that is wifi only or if you have 3g can't wait to see the bill, no i'll stay with a mobile hard drive
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:24 AM   #194
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Apple sold a **** ton on iPads, iPhones, iPod touches and probably iPod nanos.

I can bet anything that their 44% has to do with all those devices. I get the comparison of mobile OS' to each other, but really what they need to do is compare devices. iOS is on too many devices giving it the advantage.

If you were presenting a slide show last thing you'd want to show are how other companies are doing better than you.

Android tablets hardly have made a dent in activations, iPad and iPods have made a HUGE dent.

The numbers are fluffed in their advantage. Plain and simple. For this reason I dislike Apple.

PS - the notification bar on the iPad looks like crap. Can't they jump out of the box a little on that device. The OS does not differentiate itself one bit from the phone.

Last edited by shoman24v : Jun 7, 2011 at 01:33 AM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:24 AM   #195
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
What do you mean? IS there a built in LED light? I don't get this feature.

BlackBerry has a multicolor LED light right next to its logo (it's tiny) that blinks red whenever you recieve something. It's the bane of my existence.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:57 AM   #196
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Much like the iPhone. MS also had smartphones too, but they do so well with this stuff.

That Windows tablet you linked is nothing like the iPad. Touch, gestures, apps, connectivity?
It's not a single device anyway in the link. But early tablets where very comparable. The input was touch based, apps where the same thing you had access to on a normal WinXP system and there connectivity tended to be the same types of things you would find on laptops of the era.

Apple rarely does anything first or necessarily best. They tend to do a slicker version of whats already there and market the hell out of it. I mean c'mon, you must know this.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:07 AM   #197
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
That's not new at all.

Not sure what you mean there.
1)No. Tweetie was an app not available and gone from the app store. It's now available again for download.

2)Meaning before you can only buy iBooks on an iDevice. Now you can view and buy them in iTunes with the rest of the stores.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:08 AM   #198
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
What do you mean? IS there a built in LED light? I don't get this feature.

BlackBerry has a multicolor LED light right next to its logo (it's tiny) that blinks red whenever you recieve something. It's the bane of my existence.
In other words, when you get a new message or missed phone call, the LED flash on your iPhone will now flash, a la Blackberry.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:10 AM   #199
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
It's not a single device anyway in the link. But early tablets where very comparable. The input was touch based, apps where the same thing you had access to on a normal WinXP system and there connectivity tended to be the same types of things you would find on laptops of the era.

Apple rarely does anything first or necessarily best. They tend to do a slicker version of whats already there and market the hell out of it. I mean c'mon, you must know this.
All I know is that no one bought a Windows tablet, nor talked about them, nor wanted them. iPad is a whole new category of computing device that everyone was trying to copy these days.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:43 AM   #200
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

I have a Windows tablet, Razeus, and an iPad 2. My windows tablet (ok...tablet PC) is far more useful to me in terms of getting real work done. I love my iPad..I use it all the time to read and deal with simple emails, but I could live without it. My windows tablet, though, you would have to pry from my cold dead hands...it has become essential to me in my work.

If the win8 tablets approach the functionality of the current tablet PC, I believe Microsoft will have a whole lot of win on their hands (pun not intended).
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:38 AM   #201
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeace View Post
I have a Windows tablet, Razeus, and an iPad 2. My windows tablet (ok...tablet PC) is far more useful to me in terms of getting real work done. I love my iPad..I use it all the time to read and deal with simple emails, but I could live without it. My windows tablet, though, you would have to pry from my cold dead hands...it has become essential to me in my work.

If the win8 tablets approach the functionality of the current tablet PC, I believe Microsoft will have a whole lot of win on their hands (pun not intended).
That's because the iPad is still mostly just a toy.
It's not made for productivity.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:55 PM   #202
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
That's because the iPad is still mostly just a toy.
It's not made for productivity.
thats false..
Doctors at the swedish hospitals here are using it. And they love it, they would kill us if we said we will take it away from them.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:19 PM   #203
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
thats false..
Doctors at the swedish hospitals here are using it. And they love it, they would kill us if we said we will take it away from them.
Isn't that against the Hypocratic Oath?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:28 PM   #204
Zero
Sass hole

It's for the greater good

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:05 PM   #205
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
thats false..
iPad is a great tool for hospitals. I believe a few hospitals here in Toronto are starting to try it out. Getting patient charts by simply looking it up on your iPad is much easier than leaving them at their bed side. My friend works and and says it's a really huge improvement over hand written stuff that needs to be checked and double checked over and over with lots of potential for mistakes.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:01 PM   #206
Archy2097
Radeon R700

Archy2097 is still being judged by the masses

No iOS 5 until Fall? Lamesauce.

Archy2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:42 PM   #207
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
thats false..
wait till Jobs wants 30% of hospitals bills to
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:20 PM   #208
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
wait till Jobs wants 30% of hospitals bills to
There are no hospital bills in Sweden... Its free

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:39 PM   #209
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
In other words, when you get a new message or missed phone call, the LED flash on your iPhone will now flash, a la Blackberry.
You mean the flash used for the camera flashes?? That's not how BlackBerry works and that's just a huge waste of power.

There is a small indicator light on a BlackBerry that blinks. It's a low powered LED that barely draws any power. I can't imagine my flash going off everytime I get an email.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:42 PM   #210
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Sweet features.

Looks like I can keep my iPhone 3GS until something much better comes out, it's been 2 years so far and I like how these OS updates add life to the old phone.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote