Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:59 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Okay, so I'm not sure where to put the z4root.apk
I'm looking at the phone from my PC, and i can't find this /mnt/sdcard folder. checked all the folders too. Where should I place it?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:08 PM   #32
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Doing a search comes up with no results for "z4root" even though I pasted it on the phone, and turned on that unknown app thing.

Also, say when the next Android patch comes out, will I have to go through hell to update the phone? Just curious.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:35 PM   #33
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You aren't following the directions You download it on the PC then plug the phone into the computer and copy it to the phone... ASTRO is what you open the APK with on the phone... Follow my directions, they're verbatim
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:40 PM   #34
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That's what I'm doing.

So, I copy and pasted the z4root onto the phone (Right onto it, no folders or anything)

Now I go onto the phone, launch ASTRO. ASTRO starts off in /mnt/sdcard.. nothing in there. so I press "UP" and go to /mnt. nothing about z4root in there either (checking the folders; asec, sdcard, and secure, nothing) Go up again, now I do a search.. Too many folders to sort through. Search for the file name z4root. No matches found, it tells me.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I'm not a tard.. this isn't exactly difficult, I've done way more complicated **** on my PC..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what my Droid looks like from the PC.

Last edited by Nunz : Dec 19, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:52 PM   #35
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Disconnect your phone from the PC, the SD card is still mounted on the PC...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:53 PM   #36
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I didn't know I had to unplug. I was letting the phone charge, since I let it die earlier..

You got me you sneaky bastard.
Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:54 PM   #37
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Yeah, its a limitation on the MOTO phones, not sure if it happens on other Android phones...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:57 PM   #38
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Just one question, when the next Android update comes out, how will I update the phone? Will I need to jump through hoops?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:10 PM   #39
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Installing DarkSlide now.
Looks sweet, really like what I read about the speed and battery performance increases.

Now, when the next Android update comes out, we'll see if I regret doing this ****.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:20 PM   #40
Elysian
SCAATSJW

You'll be fine. You can restore it back to the official OS without losing any of your settings/data, I've had to do it. You'll just flash it back to .340 when the next version comes out, then manually update
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:28 PM   #41
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Okay, I can't lie.. this **** is blazing fast. I thought the phone was really smooth before, this is just insane.

The custom battery saver thing is SWEET. Made a custom setting and this is overall just sick

Any apps (free) you recommend? I never had to bother with that **** on my old phones.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:38 PM   #42
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:40 PM   #43
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Did you load Blur or Blurless? I love that it's still so fast with all the Blur stuff.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:40 PM   #44
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Already have them
I got hooked on it from my dad, he has the original Droid.. **** is addicting I swear haha

I have the Blur, I'm not really sure what the difference is between Blur and Blurless.
I want to get rid of the keyboard with the darkslider theme, going to try and fix that now.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:42 PM   #45
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Already have them
I got hooked on it from my dad, he has the original Droid.. **** is addicting I swear haha

I have the Blur, I'm not really sure what the difference is between Blur and Blurless.
I want to get rid of the keyboard with the darkslider theme, going to try and fix that now.
Pretty sure it uses the Gingerbread keyboard... I don't like it... Try Swiftkey!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:46 PM   #46
Nunz
RIP Roxen

How do I do that..
I feel like such a noob..

Seems it's using Swype. I just want to get rid of the theme itself, and just a standard black look to the keyboard.
Hmmmm.

Last edited by Nunz : Dec 19, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:50 PM   #47
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Install it from the market, then go out to the home screen, hit menu, click settings, Locale and Keyboard, select Swiftkey. Then, go into an app that uses the keyboard, long press on a text input box and press "Input method" and choose Swiftkey.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:55 PM   #48
Nunz
RIP Roxen

It's a trial.
Did you pay for yours?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:58 PM   #49
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
It's a trial.
Did you pay for yours?
It's a trial for word prediction, after 30 days it won't predict anymore but you can still use it as a keyboard. I'll be buying it soon.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:00 PM   #50
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yeah.. I'll probably buy it depending if I like it.
It's pretty nice though, I like the spacing of the buttons holding the phone sideways.

Thanks for all the help btw.

Last edited by Nunz : Dec 19, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:41 PM   #51
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33971060

check out this thread for some good game recommendations. Squibble is awesome if you can manage to spend 3 bucks.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:25 PM   #52
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

FWIW, I did buy Swiftkey. Darn with it IMO.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:56 PM   #53
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I ve had nothing but issues with droid X's
Battery being the main issue. Cant stand not being able have a full day of charge with that phone. You'll run out of juice if you do gps/web browsing like i do in like half a day. I got back to my droid w/ bugless beast v.05.
Better battery life > faster cpu/bigger screen IMO.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:59 PM   #54
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaBlo666 View Post
I ve had nothing but issues with droid X's
Battery being the main issue. Cant stand not being able have a full day of charge with that phone. You'll run out of juice if you do gps/web browsing like i do in like half a day. I got back to my droid w/ bugless beast v.05.
Better battery life > faster cpu/bigger screen IMO.
I get through a day easily. Were you running a custom rom? The roms I've been running as well as the overclocking/undervolting of the processor I've been doing save tons of battery. Clocked at 1250mhz with a low voltage setting and getting better battery life than stock. I'd never go back to my Droid, it doesn't even come close to comparing on the battery life front, I had to carry around a spare battery because it was so bad.

edit: Also, Bugless Beast is still only at v.5??? That's where it was when I stopped using it and moved on to Ultimate Droid and then Cyanogen...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:35 PM   #55
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
First things first, make sure you have the latest update! Go to the home screen, press the menu button(physical button to the left of the home button), go to Settings, navigate to "About Phone" and when in that menu, look at "System version," if it says anything less than Version.2.3.340.xxxxx then click "System updates" and it'll install the latest version.

Next, root it. The easiest way is to sideload z4root onto it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Might need to make an account to download it.

This app is just a 1 click root app. Steps to install it:

1. Place on SD card
2. Go to the Market and install ASTRO file manager
3. From the home screen, click the menu button (button to the left of the home button) and press "Settings"
4. In the Settings menu, go to "Applications," when you're in the Applications Settings menu, click "Unknown sources", it'll allow you to install z4root.
5. Launch ASTRO. It defaults to the SD card so navigate to the z4root.apk and tap it, it'll bring up a menu that has an option to "Open App Manager."
6. App Manager opens, press the install button.
7. Open the z4root app now, click "Permanent Root" let it do it's thing and you're done, rooted.

If you want to load custom roms, you can now do that. Get Koush's Droid X Bootstrapper here:

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/08/...-recovery.html

The install for that is basically the same process, use ASTRO to navigate to the file and install it. When you launch the app, you will press the "Bootstrap Recovery" button first, it will then pop up a box saying "Success," click OK and press "Reboot Recovery." When it reboots you'll be greeting with a menu that allows you to do things like format the phone, install update.zip or make/restore backups. When you get a rom, you rename the file to update.zip and place it on the SD card, then you run the Droid X bootstrapper. You have press both buttons in the bootstrapper app any time you want it to come up, it's only a 1 time thing since the Droid X bootloader hasn't been cracked yet. There are 2 roms I really like, one is here:

The one I run, Darkslide, which has 2 versions, one with BLUR and one without. I prefer the one with, it's very smooth and the rom is fast as hell. Call me crazy but I'm actually a BLUR fan.

ApeX also has BLUR but it's yet another very smooth rom.

Both of these say you need to format your phone before you install them, but they actually don't need formatting at all, I've had 0 issue. The only rom I've found that actually does need formatting is Rubix and IMO it's not as good as the 2 roms I've posted.

If you wind up getting the infinite bootloop after a rom install I can help you through fixing that as well, but with the 2 roms I posted you shouldn't have an issue.

Any questions?

awesome thanks elysian. just rooted my droid x with darkslide and loving the speed and the battery savings
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:23 AM   #56
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Did you put the version with blur or without?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:21 AM   #57
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

im trying it with blur now then i'll probably install the one without it later today.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:30 AM   #58
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
im trying it with blur now then i'll probably install the one without it later today.
I miss the Blur camera and Gallery on the non-Blur roms.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:48 AM   #59
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Back to the question about upgrading to a new version on Android with a rooted rom:

More than likely you will have the updated features of the new Android version with a new version of your custom rom weeks if not months before your carrier sends the update via OTA. At least that's the way it works with Cyanogen. Don't know who develops for Droids.

For instance, now that the Gingerbread SDK is released...developers are already picking it apart to update their roms with the new features. Cyanogen already has Gingerbread on his G2, but I doubt it's ready to be released anytime soon.

Last edited by NYHecK : Dec 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
NYHecK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:03 PM   #60
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHecK View Post
Back to the question about upgrading to a new version on Android with a rooted rom:

More than likely you will have the updated features of the new Android version with a new version of your custom rom weeks if not months before your carrier sends the update via OTA. At least that's the way it works with Cyanogen. Don't know who develops for Droids.

For instance, now that the Gingerbread SDK is released...developers are already picking it apart to update their roms with the new features. Cyanogen already has Gingerbread on his G2, but I doubt it's ready to be released anytime soon.
Not the case with the Droid X... The e-fuze chip keeps you from being able to go to a newer version than official, so all the roms are based on the official releases.