Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default HP Touchpad.

Wow, they finally bring something to market. Thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_873791.html

The release date and pricetag for the HP TouchPad tablet has officially been announced.

The HP TouchPad will be available for pre-order starting June 19 and will go on sale July 1 for $499 (16 GB version) and $599 (32GB). By comparison, the iPad also costs $499 for a 16 GB version and $599 for a 32 GB vesion.

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo.../touchpad.html
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

IMO, when it comes to tablets it's really going to be anyones game since there is no big competitor to the iPad right now. Smartphones it's pretty closed up, not a lot of room but that's not the case with tablets. TouchPad is still kind of meh imo, but a decent enough first entry for HP.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Interesting... but i would have liked to see the 16gb version be $399. With it being at $499 i dont think it will do much damage. Not unless its super fantastic, like, damn good. But at this rate people are probably going to be saying "why should i buy this while i can get the ipad2 at the same price". The ipad2 is the benchmark, the go to tablet right now, so unless its truly much better than the ipad2 and the consumers acknowledge this i think the pricing needs to undercut Apples to have decent market penetration. I guess this goes for any tablet right now. But i must say it does look interesting.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:52 PM   #4
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I wanted one before I saw the price tag. $500 is just to much for me to spend on that kind of device right now. $300 is where my comfort zone is so it looks like I will be playing the waiting game. In general it seems like a mistake for them to not undercut the IPad 2 at all. An 8GB version at $400 would have been nice.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:56 PM   #5
mrbaggs
Ashes to Ashes

mrbaggs is still being judged by the masses

I absolutely loved WebOS on my Pre and if I were getting a tablet i'd be pretty interested in it. Price is just too high though, the webOS app store is pretty barren too. At 400 I would have given it serious thought.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I don't really see how it's going to distinguish itself from the pack. Poor ecosystem doesn't help either.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:10 PM   #7
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

The sad thing is, I really think the webOS software itself is really a solid product. It got held back somewhat by the hardware at launch and hasn't progressed much beyond this. Nor do I think it's taken off yet after falling into the HP business umbrella but I'm hoping it catches hold soon and puts some serious competition to Apple & Google (again, consumers win when there's fierce competition). The webOS is great, looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
The sad thing is, I really think the webOS software itself is really a solid product. It got held back somewhat by the hardware at launch and hasn't progressed much beyond this. Nor do I think it's taken off yet after falling into the HP business umbrella but I'm hoping it catches hold soon and puts some serious competition to Apple & Google (again, consumers win when there's fierce competition). The webOS is great, looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
These are the first products HP is releasing with WebOS so I wouldn't judge yet. Also, the hardware on these devices is at least on par with the competition. Their biggest problem right now is all the happy IOS and Android users who are going to be selling their friends on these platforms instead of WebOS. That kind of momentum is difficult to overcome.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:29 PM   #9
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
IMO, when it comes to tablets it's really going to be anyones game since there is no big competitor to the iPad right now. Smartphones it's pretty closed up, not a lot of room but that's not the case with tablets. TouchPad is still kind of meh imo, but a decent enough first entry for HP.
I disagree that smartphones are "closed up". I've heard this before about other manufacturers before Apple. Progress moves forward - mobile is still early enough that I don't believe apple has necessarily "won" and will always be #1. Just ask the formerly-invincible Nokia how it feels to have had the phone market "closed up".
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:00 AM   #10
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
I disagree that smartphones are "closed up". I've heard this before about other manufacturers before Apple. Progress moves forward - mobile is still early enough that I don't believe apple has necessarily "won" and will always be #1. Just ask the formerly-invincible Nokia how it feels to have had the phone market "closed up".
The difference is that very few people loved their Nokia like people love their iPhone or Android. It isn't about percent of the market but about how fanatical that market share is. HP can't just have a good product. They need people to push the product. IMO that is going to be the hard part. If they just toss up a few adds and plop the thing on store shelves then it will fail. Even if someone is interested in the add, when they go to the store, the sales person is probably going to steer them towards an Android or iPad tablet.

The market might not be closed up, but HP will have to really hustle there product to penetrate the market.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
Name recognition is key right now, Android and iPhone have it, WP7 not so much, WebOS not at all, and Blackberry's name recognition is for having dinosaur phones.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

Jandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Name recognition is key right now, Android and iPhone have it, WP7 not so much, WebOS not at all, and Blackberry's name recognition is for having dinosaur phones.
Name helps, so does the money that HP has as well as it's name.
HP is going all out on WebOS, it will be on printers, phones, tablets, and even as an app on new HP computers.

If anyone else can step toe to toe with Google and Apple on the tablet and phone front, HP might be it. They are advertising heavily with WebOS products. Big name stars like Russell Brand, Jay-Z, etc. Beats Audio for the Pre3 and Touchpad, so Dr Dre.
This ain't Palm we are talking about.

Going to be interesting to see what happens over the next year.
Jandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:53 AM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I don't know that celebrity endorseement is really beneficial to sales of consumer electronics. The big names you mentioned might actually detract from the product.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:37 AM   #14
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I don't know that celebrity endorseement is really beneficial to sales of consumer electronics. The big names you mentioned might actually detract from the product.
Unless you're targeting a non-techy demographic.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:16 AM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

That would be apple's forte and they don't need celebrities to do it.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:02 AM   #16
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
That would be apple's forte and they don't need celebrities to do it.
Do you even watch movies or TV? Apple products are in everything.
Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming |Ryzen R7 2700X |16GB DDRR DRAM 3000 |MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB | 6TB NVMe/HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro / OpenSuse
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:46 AM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

That's not name association though.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:55 PM   #18
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
That's not name association though.
It kind of is. Some of them are even pretty blatant like Steven Colbert waving around iPads and Jimmy Fallon's prominently displayed power book.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:14 PM   #19
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Aside from performance I think one of the most important factors in selecting a tablet is the thickness and weight. They're uncomfortable and awkward to hold for long periods of time. More people will consider a switch to tablet computing when they become lighter and thinner in the future. Some of them are just ridiculously heavy.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote