Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Oxy_Gen_8500
Radeon R520

Oxy_Gen_8500 is still being judged by the masses

Default How Much Do You Make With Minimum Wage?

For those of you with part time jobs or minimum wage jobs, how much is your pay, how many hours, days a week, weeks a month, etc.? What kinda job?

What does the pay go towards? Important stuff like rent or eh stuff like booze? :P

Also, how hard (or easy) was it to get that job?
Oxy_Gen_8500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:26 PM   #2
Cloud
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Cloud is still being judged by the masses

0, 0, 0, 0, and nothing.

Nothing and nothing.

Not hard.
» 8GB GeIL Black Dragon DDR2 RAM
» SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850
» Microsoft Windows 7 Build 7100
» 2x Hanns·G 28" Monitors 3840x1200
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:27 PM   #3
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

I don't make minimum wage, I work alot (doing an all night double right now). I don't make **** for money, and I live in Boston, thats probably enough to go on
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:59 PM   #4
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm 18, and I work for tips only so I guess that can be considered minimum wage. I make almost exactly $10/hour every single day, which is great. The most I've ever made per hour was $20/hour (3 hour day, so came home with $60) and the most ever in one day was around $110 on a 6 hour day but I can't remember. The lowest I've ever made on a serious day (meaning I'm actually trying to make money) is probably $6/hour which isn't that bad considering I get the cash right away and there's no tax at all. We do have to pay $0.40 for every hour we work, and that's raising to $0.60 soon. I'm pretty sure our "boss" just pockets it.

I work 3 hours on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:45PM to 7:00PM. I also work on Saturday for 6 hours from 12:45PM to 7:00PM and 5 hours on Sunday from 1:45PM to 7:00PM. Not that bad. I could work more if I wanted to, but I need time for other stuff.

It wasn't that hard to get the job. There's no interview of any sort to get this job. You just fill out a job application (very simple) and turn it in. My friend and I kept going back to show we were really interested in getting the job (tip from others that worked there) and after a few weeks we were hired.

So far I've spent $1,000 on my $1,750 car (dad paid other $750 and also paid for new tires and AC repair). I've spent around $1,500 on computer upgrades. Maybe less. I don't feel like calculating it right now. Other than that, mainly movies and going out to eat with my girlfriend. Gas, of course. I also pay my own insurance, which has risen thanks to a speeding ticket and a 50%-fault accident in a parking lot. I've had some other things in mind like more computer upgrades (X800, Athlon 64) but decided I honestly don't need it (and neither does anyone else really, but whatever floats their boat). Then I wanted a more professional camera than my Canon PowerShot A80 (which I partly paid for also) but decided to wait on that and get more practice. This was also the first Christmas I actually bought my parents stuff as well as my sister, and plus two friends and my girlfriend so that drained some cash.

Right now I only have $2,027.74 in the bank, plus around $100 maybe on my computer desk right here. Hopefully by the time I move I'll have another $1,000 in there, and then some from selling my car. All that will go into buying a 1996-2000 Toyota Camry or Nissan Maxima (with help from girlfriend/parents) so I can have a car that'll last me a looooong time (hopefully).
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:03 AM   #5
Kamiclone
Galactic Odyssey

Kamiclone is still being judged by the masses

well i know the federal minimum wage is $5.15
But my jobs in CALI are $6.75
But i like to work at the higher ones.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:12 AM   #6
Stilgar1973
Please don't Ban!

Stilgar1973 is still being judged by the masses

Scott, I am curious. What sort of job do you work at?
I don't think I have ever heard of a job where you had to pay (.40 seems like a tiny amount).
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:19 AM   #7
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar1973
Scott, I am curious. What sort of job do you work at?
I don't think I have ever heard of a job where you had to pay (.40 seems like a tiny amount).
Hahah. Wow, I forgot to mention what exactly I do.

I work as a bagger in a commissary here on Hickam Air Force Base. We have to pay so that our boss can pay the express-lane workers who don't get to keep the tips in the jar, and the guy who pushes the carts back to the front of the store. We also have to do chores (like clean up the parking lot after work, or the cashier lanes). That's the part I hate the most, but I just love making real cash and not waiting for a paycheck or paying actual cash. We baggers make about twice as much as all the other kids working in the mall or fast food joints. Plus it gets you excersize (lifting 60lbs of cat litter or dog food is fun stuff) and sunlight by going outside.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:27 AM   #8
brandon_k_w
Blu-ray will win.

brandon_k_w is still being judged by the masses

19 years old. I make $8.39/hour bagging groceries at Raley's. It's a busy store, so I work around 32 hours a week, used to work full-time (40 hours/week). I'll make about $13,000 a year, and I'm saving up for a Toyota Tacoma.

It's easy to get this job, or mostly any other similar entry-way job, if you talk to the manager. Don't even talk to an assistant when applying for a job. Just dress nicely, talk to the Manager, and it'll all go well.
brandon_k_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:31 AM   #9
rayzian
brokestatus

rayzian is still being judged by the masses

16, $7.08/hour, Mcdonalds, part-time, weekends (usually 4 hours per day, with an ocassional 6 hour shift), paycheck every two weeks, make about $116 per paycheck, money goes toward computer and or useless accessories.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:32 AM   #10
Potato Masher!
Comfortably Numb

Potato Masher! is still being judged by the masses

Lowest paying: Paramount Canadas wonderland: $6.40

Highest paying: Toronto zoo: $7.25

All figures Canadian.

Maybe if Id beg downtown, i could rent a cardboard box to live in, but it seems unlikely.
Potato Masher! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:41 AM   #11
Beak
Radeon Northern Islands

Location: United States BuRp!!! Dey Dont make CheeKins likE day uSed TA!!
Beak is still being judged by the masses

$16.05 i make about 50 bucks a day on my 6th day i take in about $75 buck all at ups. Geat part is i know my raises dont stop till im in the mid twentys atleast dont ask me about that one im just glad its happening.

My checks all go from time in a half to double after the rare case of sqeezing 45 hours on the clock or holiday pay ive been here for 10 years though.
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:18 AM   #12
C1awHamm3r
Rage3D Veteran

C1awHamm3r is still being judged by the masses

I guess i'm screwed making $5.45 an hour and working anywhere from 60 to 80 hours in two weeks. Checks are $300 to $600. Just depends on how much I work.

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III (Silver)
PSU: Thermaltake Pure Power 420Watts
Processor: AMD Athlon 64-bit 3700+ 1MB Cache Socket 754
Mobo: Gigabyte K8NS Pro nForce3 250 Chipset
Ram: Mushkin PC3200 2x512MB 2.5-4-4-7
Video Card: Radeon 9100
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Harddrives: 1x36.7GB Raptor, 1xWD1600BB
C1awHamm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:04 AM   #13
Holster
Radeon R200

Holster is still being judged by the masses

you should move up to alaska 7.15 minimum wage here plus we get a yearly dividend check from the state . Lucky for me I've always managed to find real good jobs. My very first real job I had was making 18/hour full time, thats the beauty about up here, there is always work available.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:12 AM   #14
Nakor Allthumbs
Gibson junkie

Location: Canada The eighth concentric circle of Dantes' easy bake.
Nakor Allthumbs is still being judged by the masses

I hesitate to list how much i make..... But i'm in my 30's and have skills....
Lets just say after taxes, and bills, and the various crap i dump money into, i have around $750.00 a month (disposible) income.

And i still have this damn Athlon 2500

Pinky: I think so, but if they called them sad meals, nobody would buy them.

Folding under Pharoh
Nakor Allthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 06:11 AM   #15
ReDeeMeR_RR
Crysis ftw

ReDeeMeR_RR is still being judged by the masses

I get anywhere from 10$/h to 30$/h but usualy I dont have enough work so so I'm often broke, but also I work basically around 4 hours per day with maximum of 6(very rare).

Simply because web design is over crowded with kiddies who do crap quality for 5$/h and alot of people get burned and in turn dont trust other designers.

So I'm getting second side job, something with electronics, also maybe cooking or carpeter's stuff. Sitting in front of a computer all day doing same **** = barf.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:18 AM   #16
col200
Radeon R700

col200 is still being judged by the masses

I hear ya. I have a fulltime job now ($12.00/hr) which pays the bills, but I also have a freelance Graphic Design business on the side. When I'm busy, I'm pulling alot of cash (but I'm spending alot of freetime on design jobs too). But it's really hard to keep a steady workflow doing freelance. bummer! Those damn people with their new Macs, they all think they're designers!
col200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:27 AM   #17
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

I remember working as a waiter at a breakfast place making $5.15 CAD plus tips. That was a long time ago though. Now i'm making around $57 CAD an hour.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:48 AM   #18
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

My first job i was making $4.25hr. THis is going back to, 90-91 i think. Minimum wage now i believe is $7.85 or something.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:59 AM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO**
My first job i was making $4.25hr. THis is going back to, 90-91 i think. Minimum wage now i believe is $7.85 or something.
HA you wish, 7.25 is minium, going up to 7.45 or something in March. We're way behind BC which is already at 8.25.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have two jobs, one that makes minimum and one that makes 13/hr +12% commission, which averages out to be ~$20/hr.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote