Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:19 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Just thought that I would announce that the official BF3 forum is now up on the EA site...
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/

At least a couple of things are confirmed then, it will be multiplatform (no surprise there really).
Oh and there will be no XP support, Vista / Win 7 only which means DX10 and DX11.
Apparently optimised for 64-bit.

Odd how it seems DICE had no clue about the half arsed "announcement" which wasn't really an announcement, it seems to be all EA's doing.

Last edited by {0}Salamander{0} : Aug 4, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
{0}Salamander{0} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:03 AM   #62
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
At least a couple of things are confirmed then, it will be multiplatform (no surprise there really).
Yep, Battlefield is officially dead. Another incredible PC franchise crushed.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:12 AM   #63
Bearclaw
Radeon R200

Bearclaw is still being judged by the masses

I just hope BF3 is more refined than BC2. That release felt like a Beta.
Bearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:05 AM   #64
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I just hope BF3 is more refined than BC2. That release felt like a Beta.
it definitely did feel like a beta at release. i'm expecting the same from bf3 too... there aren't many developers who will spend the time and money polishing their games before release. they'd much rather put out patches afterwards.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:17 AM   #65
Bearclaw
Radeon R200

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
it definitely did feel like a beta at release. i'm expecting the same from bf3 too... there aren't many developers who will spend the time and money polishing their games before release. they'd much rather put out patches afterwards.
Ya, I agree. Kind of makes me angry - "Oh, we can just casually do this as we can work on patches later"

Well, 1) Not a great approach and 2) Look at BC2 - The patch took forever to get out and it was spotty at best.

Granted, it's an amazing game but I can safely say I will wait this time around to buy it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:23 AM   #66
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

i have some sympathy for developers though... the kind of crunch that comes at the end of a project can lead to mistakes and oversights. it's poor project management rather than bad developers as such... this is true in most cases. sometimes though, you just have to wonder how the hell they let certain glaring problems go unfixed in the gold version.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:14 PM   #67
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What's the difference between the "Battlefield" line of games and the "Battlefield: Bad Company" lines of games?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:19 PM   #68
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

bad company was spawned on the consoles as a spinoff of the franchise with a proper single player experience (hard to sell on consoles otherwise) and an experiment with destructable terrain and buildings. Its also a more condensed infantry orientated series whereas battlefield is all about the combined arms loving.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:49 PM   #69
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

There is now an official BF3 forum on the EAUK (DICE) Forums!
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:56 AM   #70
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

I've got my pitchfork ready and waiting for this one...
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:49 AM   #71
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

What a coincidence! I have a torch!
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:53 AM   #72
Bearclaw
Radeon R200

n00b question here: Just got into the battlrefield game recently when I bought BC2. Are the Bad Company games different/a different game more or less than Battlefield?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 09:53 AM   #73
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Just thought that I would announce that the official BF3 forum is now up on the EA site...

Oh and there will be no XP support, Vista / Win 7 only which means DX10 and DX11.

Odd how it seems DICE had no clue about the half arsed "announcement" which wasn't really an announcement, it seems to be all EA's doing.
so no Directx 9 and its on the xbox 360 and ps3? am i missing something here or can the 360/ps3 do dx10 now?

I think im going to reinstall BF1942.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:41 PM   #74
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Keep throwing turd at the customer. EA policy. True story!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:30 PM   #75
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

I have a feeling BF3 PC will be quite different to the console versions.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:01 PM   #76
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
n00b question here: Just got into the battlrefield game recently when I bought BC2. Are the Bad Company games different/a different game more or less than Battlefield?
YES.

Think of BFBC2 as very infantry centric. This is due in part to the BadCompany line being a "console line" of the Battlefield series, where as BF2 for example was devloped and supported solely on PCs with PC Gaming in mind, (BFBC2 is a port)

Battlefield series (BF2 and hopefully BF3) is the whole experience.... Jets that will rape gound armies to the ground, helicopter gunships that can actually circle strafe and flip unlike the ****ty flying bricks in BC2, and the rest of the goods, tanks, APCs, etc. Everything is very powerful, and powerful enough noone ever needed a hardcore mode in BF2 because it found the perfect balance.

Battlefield 2 was one and still is one of the best games I've ever played. BFBC2 is nice (graphically), and the destruction is nice, but if they just ported BF2 to this engine it would be absolutely amazing.

This is what everyone is hoping BF3 to be.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:31 PM   #77
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post
YES.

Think of BFBC2 as very infantry centric. This is due in part to the BadCompany line being a "console line" of the Battlefield series, where as BF2 for example was devloped and supported solely on PCs with PC Gaming in mind, (BFBC2 is a port)

Battlefield series (BF2 and hopefully BF3) is the whole experience.... Jets that will rape gound armies to the ground, helicopter gunships that can actually circle strafe and flip unlike the ****ty flying bricks in BC2, and the rest of the goods, tanks, APCs, etc. Everything is very powerful, and powerful enough noone ever needed a hardcore mode in BF2 because it found the perfect balance.

Battlefield 2 was one and still is one of the best games I've ever played. BFBC2 is nice (graphically), and the destruction is nice, but if they just ported BF2 to this engine it would be absolutely amazing.

Except please, DICE, please don't bring back the artillery. Anything but that! BF2's artillery makes BC2's mortar strikes seem like a walk in the park!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:59 PM   #78
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

No its not

Still many of us Battlefield fans that consider BF2 one of the worst BF games.
- Highly unbalanced jets due to broken AA. WWII planes was better and even the Vietnam jets where better (handheld AA was atleast available).
- It stripped the awesome class system found in Battlefield Vietnam, where you had more choices and turned it into point based unlocks. BF2142 was another twist on equipment and it was FAAAR superior to BF2.
- Simplistic armor penetration on most vehicles. BF1942 did this better (BF2142 brought it back).
- The squads was a nice idea, but ultimately flawed. It wasnt refined until BF2142 which did them ALOT better - best in the series so far (including BC2).
- Commander, same as above. Decent idea, poor execution. Carpet bombing every minute? Uh, stupid. The EMP/precision strike combo in BF2142 is so much better on a gameplay level its almost silly.
- Etc and so on.

Sure it brought better graphics, physics and sound to the series, plus revival and ammo handouts, which is about the only good things it did.

I want BF1942 2 with the added features of BF2142 (adapted of course) on the BC2 engine. Dont even need to bother with BF2.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:29 AM   #79
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

They should just make "BF3" a high res texture update for "BF2", then I would be happy!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:35 AM   #80
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
Yep, Battlefield is officially dead. Another incredible PC franchise crushed.
Consoles LOVE to ruin fun for PC gamers. I don't know how console gamers put up with such lack luster BS for games.

The BF franchise began to be ruined once they implemented that commander artillery BS in BF2. Outside of that BF2 was absolutely awesome, but that aspect nearly ruined it. Since then, nothing has been good. God I miss the days of BF1942 and it's expansions. I have 2 copies of BF1942 + expansions and two copies of BF2. I've NEVER spent that much on any other game, ever.
acidosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:56 AM   #81
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
No its not

Still many of us Battlefield fans that consider BF2 one of the worst BF games.
- Highly unbalanced jets due to broken AA. WWII planes was better and even the Vietnam jets where better (handheld AA was atleast available).
- It stripped the awesome class system found in Battlefield Vietnam, where you had more choices and turned it into point based unlocks. BF2142 was another twist on equipment and it was FAAAR superior to BF2.
- Simplistic armor penetration on most vehicles. BF1942 did this better (BF2142 brought it back).
- The squads was a nice idea, but ultimately flawed. It wasnt refined until BF2142 which did them ALOT better - best in the series so far (including BC2).
- Commander, same as above. Decent idea, poor execution. Carpet bombing every minute? Uh, stupid. The EMP/precision strike combo in BF2142 is so much better on a gameplay level its almost silly.
- Etc and so on.

Sure it brought better graphics, physics and sound to the series, plus revival and ammo handouts, which is about the only good things it did.

I want BF1942 2 with the added features of BF2142 (adapted of course) on the BC2 engine. Dont even need to bother with BF2.
Agreed, BF2 was fail imo. Far too much spam and poor gametypes and dolphin diving.. arggg how annoying, when in doubt go prone and throw 5 nades.. fail.

And I love the rush game type in BC2, sure beats running around in circles shooting each other in the back capturing flags if you ask me... titan mode in 2142 was ok, I'd like to see an adaption of that in BF3, like someone else said take out the enemy base or something.

Last edited by demo : Aug 6, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
demo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:24 AM   #82
Bearclaw
Radeon R200

Quote:
YES.

Thanks for explaining this to me. Sounds good. Can't wait for BF3 now...
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:11 AM   #83
TriGGlety
Banned

TriGGlety is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Come on kids. There out to make money.
PC gaming is dead. Console gaming like on PCs is alive.

Live with it.
TriGGlety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:16 AM   #84
Scart
Radeon Northern Islands

Scart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Multiplatform means absolutely nothing. If the game is DX10/11 and 64 bit optimized, it means that there are two very different games being developed.
Scart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:36 AM   #85
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
Multiplatform means absolutely nothing. If the game is DX10/11 and 64 bit optimized, it means that there are two very different games being developed.
Frankly I am getting confusing messages.

Yes DX10/11 does sound good as it means (in theory at least) that the game should be better optimised and make better use of current hardware. However I seem to recall hearing something similar about Bad Company 2? Wasn't BC2 meant to be DX10 and DX11 only, and they had to specially write a new DX9 path as they incorrectly "predicted" the uptake of DX10/11, which is why there is no AA in DX9 etc?

I also find it very hard to believe that they are going to make two totally different sets of enviroment maps. Could the consoles handle Gulf Of Oman or Daqing Oilfields? I'm not so sure.

I still think if you rub the box where it says BF3, a label will peel off and beneath it will say BC3.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:48 AM   #86
Ninja6.
Banned

Ninja6. is still being judged by the masses

IMO, the bottom line is, consoles cannot handle 64 players, proper vehicles, map sizes + textures that should be in BF3 (going from a progression from BF2).

So if BF3 PC = BF3 console, it will not be as expected.
Ninja6. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:33 PM   #87
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
And I love the rush game type in BC2, sure beats running around in circles shooting each other in the back capturing flags if you ask me... titan mode in 2142 was ok, I'd like to see an adaption of that in BF3, like someone else said take out the enemy base or something.
Rush is decent, but Titan mode was better - a mix between conquest and "rush". So many games where the endgame was incredibly intense. Some games where you even saw the enemy Titan start to explode, then the friendly Titan started exploding too, lol.

A better endgame for rush would be interesting, but it wont overcome its main flaw - its design by default is based on narrow passages. You cant really open up the maps either, because then it'd be far too easy to blow crates. Flags is a must for Battlefield gameplay IMO. In other words, I think Conquest with an "Rush"/"Titan" endgame is the way to go. Scrap Rush

Maybe DICE will surprise us with the gameplay modes, but I'm doubtful to the bitter end...
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 01:24 PM   #88
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

LOL at all the BF1942 zealots in the thread.

WW2 FPS's are over. GG no RE. So boring....

Though I did love Desert Combat mod for 1942... (and thus what BF2 was based on)

Last edited by xNaquada : Aug 6, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 01:39 PM   #89
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Quote:
LOL at all the BF1942 zealots in the thread.

WW2 FPS's are over. GG no RE. So boring....

Though I did love Desert Combat mod for 1942... (and thus what BF2 was based on)
I don't think WWII games are dead and buried yet, its just "fashionable" now to do modern day combat. When the fickle fashion world decides WWII is "cool" again, we will get another slew of games. Give it a couple of years.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:16 PM   #90
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

WW2 will never be old in the Battlefield series. Hell no, in fact WW2 fits the format for the BF series better then any other genre.

Especially in terms of aircraft and ground attack.

The original is still the best and Forgotten Hope 2 for BF2 is another stellar achievement.

They could wrap some new graphics on BF1942 and I would play it in a second.

The one thing WW2 does better than any other time period is in its rifles and tactics. When soldiers are running around with long range rifles and assault rifles that are all over the place you have a dynamic battle space.

In modern combat is been dumped down so much, it's literally point and shoot with a Crayola bazooka.

Give me a WW2 BF Series any day of the week.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote