Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:20 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mup View Post
Planes need to be equal...that is all i ask. You have to have the ability to kill one from the ground. Maybe its not realistic, but its a video game. The most frustrating part of BF2 was being constantly raped by aircraft and not being able to do anything about it (if the pilot had the slightest amount of skill.)
That was one of my beefs with BF2. The anti-air systems just absolutely sucked! I always hated the missiles that had to lock on because by the time you'd gotten a lock, the jet was already out of range or completely out of view (or you were already dead!)

In BF 1942, I seem to remember that anti-air flak guns were much more effective. I always loved trying to aim ahead of the planes and hearing the *POOF POOF POOF* of those big ol' guns. It was always satisfying seeing your smoke clouds hit right on the planes and watching them go down in flames like a fireball out of the sky.

Maybe they'll get it right with BF3. I'm still wondering what era this one will be set in, but I'm willing to bet that with the popularity of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company games, they'll stick to a modern-day setting not too different from the one we already saw in BF2.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:06 PM   #32
Rippthrough
Nothing wrong with 4-pot!

Rippthrough is still being judged by the masses

Ah, just imagine, remake 1942 with the new graphics engine, new physics, and a 256-player El Al.....
When I want your opinion, I'll tell you it.
Rippthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:36 PM   #33
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippthrough View Post
Ah, just imagine, remake 1942 with the new graphics engine, new physics, and a 256-player El Al.....
Ah, El Alamein. The memories! One of the best maps ever.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:59 PM   #34
Grand Poobah
Radeon R600

Grand Poobah is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Well if its on the Frostbite engine then it will most likely be multiplatform (cause everyone likes money ).
DICE stated that "there is something for hardcore pcgamers" in several interviews. Which of course, prompted the BF3 speculation as well.

Also, DICE has stated that BF1943 is also a "test" of the Frostbite engine on PC, meaning its a sort of tech demo as well, not just a minigame for the hell of it. Bad Company 2 is an extenuation of that tech demo.

That said, I would not be surprised at all if BF3 is multiplatform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post
rofl
I was hoping someone would like that. Did I say it right?
Grand Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 04:41 AM   #35
Ninja6.
Banned

Ninja6. is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post
rofl
You aren't laughing because Americans (?) can't use English slang are you?

Nah, Grand Poobah, Dog's Bollocks is used to describe something good whereas just bollocks is something bad.

E.g. "It was the dog's bollocks" - It was very good.
"It was bollocks" - It was very bad.

So for what you were trying to say, it didn't really make sense, however it would have if you just said "I call bollocks" - meaning you think it's bull****. And saying it like that would have been perfect and undistinguishable from an Englishman!
I give 10/10 for effort; cus you were close and it was better than hearing a whiny American saying

And people, do not be surprised if what EA publish is a let down and in all honesty, it probably will be. I would love to see a lovingly updated and restored BF1942 because it would be nostalgia-ville and it would be something I would love to play.

But I'm not going to worry about what DICE creates because if they do **** it up big with console features or plain stupidity, I am confident that the prevalent modding BF modding community will come forth and ensure whatever you want out of BF3, you will get and you will enjoy.

Last edited by Ninja6. : Jun 12, 2009 at 04:46 AM.
Ninja6. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:03 AM   #36
Grand Poobah
Radeon R600

Ah thanks for the explanation Ninja, lol.

yeah I knew saying "the dog's bollocks" is good, but yeah...

Anyway, I am pretty excited, Bad Company 2 looks pretty awesome. And there's also Modern Warfare 2 to tide me over in the mean time.

Btw, Isle of Man is a cool place so I've heard. I want to go there.

Last edited by Grand Poobah : Jun 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:00 PM   #37
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippthrough View Post
Indeed pretty much, infact they could make it massively multiplayer & persistent...oops! Now i've gone and given EA ideas
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:08 PM   #38
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Will this version have the stu stu stu stuttering problem

I'm interested... I totally miss playing BF2, I wish there were more people on that game. I never understood why the expansion pack had to open in its own seperate game rather then just making it all one.

*Goes to play BF2 when I get home*
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:14 PM   #39
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
Indeed pretty much, infact they could make it massively multiplayer & persistent...oops! Now i've gone and given EA ideas
I wouldnt worry so much about giving them ideas. Its EA
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:12 PM   #40
Grand Poobah
Radeon R600

What I find brilliant is the frostbite engine and the destructible environments we should be seeing on a large scale. I doubt they've doubled the 64 player cap, but perhaps they've increased it to 100, that'd be pretty cool I think.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:16 AM   #41
Ninja6.
Banned

I just hope they've unlocked the larger ships so they can be moved again. Because shenanigans like moving the axis aircraft carrier and ramming into the airfield at Wake Island were some of the things which made BF1942 what it was - a fun shooter.

I think they started to take themselves too seriously after the first game. The political climate of Vietnam and the DICE, makers of the quite serious Desert Combat mod. Then unlocks and rankings. Then fun of the first game was replaced by too much of a competitive atmosphere.

And Poobah, it really depends what you want to do. The Isle of Man is a rather low-key area. I would suggest it's not the place you go on a family holiday because there's really nothing to do. It is however excellent if you want to take in scenes of natural beauty though - especially when it's good weather. Because it's an undeveloped place, once you get out of the towns (which are fairly small anyway) it's just farms and fields interspersed with glens and plantations. It's also good if you enjoy local culture, because the place is brimming with it. Many areas and places with a story behind them.

Also if you wanted a biking holiday, it's good. Fairly good driving roads and off road trails.

Last edited by Ninja6. : Jun 14, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:27 AM   #42
Doozer
lollollollol

Doozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja6. View Post
I just hope they've unlocked the larger ships so they can be moved again. Because shenanigans like moving the axis aircraft carrier and ramming into the airfield at Wake Island were some of the things which made BF1942 what it was - a fun shooter.
And bring back the subs

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM,
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DG,
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,
Raynox D250 closeup/macro attachment,
Kenko extension tubes,
reverse lens adaptor,
Nikon SB800 flash,
Vivitar 285HV Flash unit,
Tripod (x2),
Monopod

Rage3d flickr Group
Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:19 AM   #43
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Espíritu_de_América is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post
Eh? BF2 was not set in WW2 now was it?
I think he was referring to BF1943, which was mentioned a few posts above his. It helps if you follow posts in chronological order.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:42 AM   #44
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Espíritu_de_América is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mup View Post
Planes need to be equal...that is all i ask. You have to have the ability to kill one from the ground. Maybe its not realistic, but its a video game. The most frustrating part of BF2 was being constantly raped by aircraft and not being able to do anything about it (if the pilot had the slightest amount of skill.)
Well, planes aren't equal. The J-10 is a better handling plane then the rest and that is why it was the best in the game. The bombing planes (F-15, etc) were bigger and realistically not as maneuverable. The big problem is that the F-15 is actually faster in real life so the afterburner should have taken it out of dangers way.

You did have the ability to kill it from the ground. The AA were quite effective. Don't wait till you get a lock, just fire them as you hear the tone and jump out of it so you don't get taken out by guns.

If you were on the ground you just had to avoid being in the open or in vehicles if you wanted to capture flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
That was one of my beefs with BF2. The anti-air systems just absolutely sucked! I always hated the missiles that had to lock on because by the time you'd gotten a lock, the jet was already out of range or completely out of view (or you were already dead!)

In BF 1942, I seem to remember that anti-air flak guns were much more effective. I always loved trying to aim ahead of the planes and hearing the *POOF POOF POOF* of those big ol' guns. It was always satisfying seeing your smoke clouds hit right on the planes and watching them go down in flames like a fireball out of the sky.

Maybe they'll get it right with BF3. I'm still wondering what era this one will be set in, but I'm willing to bet that with the popularity of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company games, they'll stick to a modern-day setting not too different from the one we already saw in BF2.
You're comparing BF1942 with slow moving aircraft to BF2 with jet aircraft? How is an AA gun going to be as effective? They sort of had to have some sort of balance as AA guns are actually quite powerful. I was usually the first to jump into an AA vehicle on a map with a lot of aircraft. It was fun to see them run as I targeted them.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:25 AM   #45
Grand Poobah
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja6. View Post

I think they started to take themselves too seriously after the first game. The political climate of Vietnam and the DICE, makers of the quite serious Desert Combat mod. Then unlocks and rankings. Then fun of the first game was replaced by too much of a competitive atmosphere.

And Poobah, it really depends what you want to do. The Isle of Man is a rather low-key area. I would suggest it's not the place you go on a family holiday because there's really nothing to do. It is however excellent if you want to take in scenes of natural beauty though - especially when it's good weather. Because it's an undeveloped place, once you get out of the towns (which are fairly small anyway) it's just farms and fields interspersed with glens and plantations. It's also good if you enjoy local culture, because the place is brimming with it. Many areas and places with a story behind them.

Also if you wanted a biking holiday, it's good. Fairly good driving roads and off road trails.
And, according to Jeremy Clarkson, once you get out of the towns, there are no speed limits.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:54 PM   #46
Ninja6.
Banned

Not strictly true. There are speed limits outside of towns but the place has such low population density you can quickly get to uninhabited areas where there is no speed limit and and you can go as fast as you want. Additionally, there are no speed cameras and few police about, so you never feel like there's a policeman around the corner waiting to pull you over for anything he can.

Last edited by Ninja6. : Jun 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:03 PM   #47
Kraven
Stafoo!

Kraven is still being judged by the masses

Bring back being able to stand on the wings of planes, had so many hours of fun doing stunts with the planes and parking jeeps on the big planes.

Yeah some quote goes here...

Kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:57 AM   #48
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Interview With Antic Entertainment On Junk Battles on Gaming Union talks with some developers from Antic Entertainment, creators of the browser-based RTS game Junk- Battles, including Fredrik Liliegren, co-founder and former CEO of DICE. Liliegren also discusses the Battlefield series, though his NDA still prevents him from making any real revelations. He does say he thinks Battlefield 3 will impress: "What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away."
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:06 AM   #49
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I guess preorders for Battlefield BC2 made sure of that...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:13 PM   #50
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

Of course it will be multiplatform. All devs think about money first.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:19 PM   #51
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Wish they'd redo Battlefield Vietnam - I loved it to death.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:34 PM   #52
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLyle View Post
Of course it will be multiplatform. All devs think about money first.
IDK. Battlefield 2 sold so very well because even the pirates ended up buying it so they could join the fun online.

If DICE have something else for the console space in the same time-frame; such as a massively hyped purchasable DLC for BC2 that most would want they could focus BF3 for PC where DLC doesn't do so well. Looking at BC2 it wouldn't take a great deal to turn it into BF3 and make it PC centric.

Here's hoping anyway...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:11 PM   #53
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

I so want BF3 to be like BF2 (but without the bugs). It is literally the only game that I am holding out for at the moment, however I have a feeling it will be the same watered down, console conversion crap we have been putting up with for a while now from other devs + publishers.

Didn't they (DICE) say that PC owners would "love" Bad Company 2? I played the beta, and I don't have much love for it.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:12 PM   #54
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

BC2 is a test for BF3.

It'd make absolute sense for them to just duplicate what they did in BF2 for the PC only, they'd sell millions. And that is exactly why I don't expect them to do it. They'll give us a 32 player BF3 with simplified classes and small maps.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:59 PM   #55
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

damn, and there I was hoping BF3 to NOT be like BFC2. I played the Beta and it disappointed me on many aspects. I kinda wish it will be more like BF2 but with the destructive environment and balanced airpower.
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:59 PM   #56
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
BC2 is a test for BF3.

It'd make absolute sense for them to just duplicate what they did in BF2 for the PC only, they'd sell millions. And that is exactly why I don't expect them to do it. They'll give us a 32 player BF3 with simplified classes and small maps.
So much truth in that post.

Small maps, 32 player, multiplatform.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:48 PM   #57
Rifle_shot
Radeon R600

Rifle_shot is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth View Post
[url="http://www.gamingunion.net/news/interview-with-antic-entertainment-on-junk-battles--1067.html"]"What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away."
I really, really don't like this line. I don't want to be impressed by anything new- I want the same quality game that Battlefield 2 was- 64 player, 6 person squads, etc.

I smell huge amounts of DLC + consolized everything. Or better yet...

World of Battlefield: 3
(we just couldnt let the BF:Heroes idea die)
Dual 1gb ATI HD 4850's CrossfireX
Realtek HD Audio
17 in 1920x1200 screen
500 gb + 320 gb SATA hard drives
Vista Ultimate x64 + Windows 7 upgrade

Desktop System :
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.7 ghz
2.0 GB G.skill DDR 400 memory
Evga 9800 GT 512mb
Creative Sound Blaster Live
22" Insignia HDTV/LCD @ 1680x1050
160 gb Western Digital SATA hard drive
Windows XP MCE 2005

007 Nightfire
007 Quantum of Solace
007 Bloodstone
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2 + SF
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bioshock
Bioshock II
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4: MW
Call of Duty 5: WaW
Call of Duty 6: MW2
Call of Duty 7: BO
Call of Juarez
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Dead Rising II
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout: 3
Fallout: NV
Far Cry
Far Cry II
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. II
Gears of War
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter II
Grand Theft Auto IV
GRID
Half-Life
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Ep1
Half-Life 2: Ep2
Halo
Halo 2
HAWX
Hitman: Blood Money
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead II
Madden 2008
Mass Effect
Mass Effect II
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Medal of Honor 2010
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Shift
Need for Speed: Undercover
Need for Speed: Underground
Need for Speed: Underground II
Portal
Prototype
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas II
Resident Evil 5
RollerCoaster Tycoon
RollerCoaster Tycoon II
Sims 2
Sims 3
Splinter-Cell
Splinter-Cell: Double Agent
Splinter-Cell: Conviction
Spider-man 3
Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-man: Web of Shadows
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk''s American Wasteland
Wolfenstein
Worms: Reloaded
Rifle_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:25 PM   #58
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

100 players or death.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:34 PM   #59
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

I'd love a reimagination of BF1942, with new graphics, new maps, squads, etc.

But I'd be happy with a solid new online game with big maps, lots of players, and good teamwork.

Is it that much to ask?

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:31 PM   #60
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLyle View Post
Of course it will be multiplatform. All Production Companies think about money first.
Fixt.

The devs are not the ones in charge anymore, they are simply the assembly crew. It is the Prod~1 choice to spend more than half the budget on marketing, or to push for release when still bugged (though sometimes, IE Stalker, you cannot blame them), or to prioritize on sales over quality.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is online now   Reply With Quote