Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Any reason to play Quake III Arena over QUAKE LIVE?

Quake III Arena is $19.99 on Steam.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Don't want to pay for a subscription to get more game modes. Want to be able to use existing maps for Quake 3, etc.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Quake III Arena is $19.99 on Steam.
play quake live, then buy it during sale when it will be 4.99 or maybe even lower.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Mods.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
FoxBat
Radeon R520

FoxBat is still being judged by the masses

I think the better question is which game has active servers?
FoxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:50 AM   #6
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

CPMA

Unless QuakeLive has that or something very similar.
Quake without instant weaponswitch and aircontrol just isn't the same.
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
smokincola
Radeon R200

smokincola is still being judged by the masses

I'd say go with Quake live, it's essentially a mash up of Q3A and Q3TA or at least it feels like it, most of the 'classic maps' appear to be in attendance. I had a ton of hassles getting Quake III running on my XP laptop and even more on my Windows 7 machine (so much so that I gave up on the windows 7 machine). So for that alone I can't recommend it.
smokincola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:02 AM   #8
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincola View Post
I'd say go with Quake live, it's essentially a mash up of Q3A and Q3TA or at least it feels like it, most of the 'classic maps' appear to be in attendance. I had a ton of hassles getting Quake III running on my XP laptop and even more on my Windows 7 machine (so much so that I gave up on the windows 7 machine). So for that alone I can't recommend it.

game works fine on all oses. all you need to do is clamp OpenGL extensions. nvidia does it automatically, dunno about ati. just installed it on win7 64bit, did nothing and it worked.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:09 AM   #9
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Mods.
this. rocket arena 3. quake 3 fortress. gooooo
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Mods.
If anyone is still playing Quake III is definetly for the mods... I mean where else can you get a death match with Megatron, Optimus Prime, Homer Simpson, Demons with lighting, Jedi and Darth Vader, etc etc...

Most other games its like the modding community does not really try.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Douglaster is still being judged by the masses

Ah, the good ol days of RA and CPM

They dont come back
Douglaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:50 AM   #12
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Rocket Arena mod would today be a stand alone 'indie' game for $30
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:12 PM   #13
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

You seriously don't have an old quake3 cd laying around somewhere?

The quake engine itself is free, you can even get the source code. Just copy the pak files to /baseq3

Personally I use ioquake3, and I run a dedicated server on my raspberry pi
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

people still play q3a?
Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #15
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
people still play q3a?
yes, if you're playing cpma.

Otherwise, there's very good bots available, which is especially nice if you're playing some obscure mod where there's no online players at all.

I'm thinking of hosting some quake3 lan parties out in sunnyvale. I've got like 6 laptops ready to go, that'll play some mean q3, ut, starcraft1, etc.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro