Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Thumbs up Just got Gigabyte 6950 and unlocked it!

So, I went to purchase a GTX 570 and came back with HD 6950. GTX 570 was selling for 425$ equivalent in my country and at that obscene price I was almost second guessing my decision to purchase. To add insult to the injury I found out that the ASUS 23" LCD w/ 120 Hz gaming and 3D glasses from nVidia will knock me down about 650 bones on top of that. Granted my total new system budget is 1000$, I am not willing to put that much money into gaming just yet.

So all said and done, I found this Gigabyte HD 6950 for approx 360$. Given I will be selling my current card for 200$ equivalent and have some money saved up from selling off used console games, this card is now practically free for me .

So how does the free card perform? Long story short, card unlocks to 6970 using script posted at Techpowerup in less than 10 seconds . Boots up fine and all tests ran flawless but fan speed now throttles to 57% max that I have seen (which is quite annoying) and overall tempratures are hovering around 92 C which is also annoying.

Here is the test setup:
Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz
4 GB Ram
Win 7 64 bit
Cat 10.12 for Radeon 5850
Cat 10.12 on CD for Radeon 6950
Radeon 5850 @ 800/1150
Radeon 6950 @ default
Radeon 6970 @ 880/1375
AA set to Adaptive for all tests

All tests ran at 1680*1050 resolution with vsync disabled in CCC (because last time I kept it enabled and people on this forum had a fit ). All tests had app preference set in CCC unless required by game (e.g. NFS HP). All games ran at maximum possible in game setting unless noted. Powertune set to +20% so that card doesn't run out of juice.

The best part of all of this is that I didn't purchase a 6970 or even a GTX 570. Given my system I don't think I would have gained anything in real world gaming terms. Also with my resolution the only games that were running like crap (Metro 2033 and Lost Planet 2) are fixed at stock 6950 settings. I will keep the card at 6970 settings for now but might revert back to 6950 since extra performance is not worth the card life deterioration. Second best part is that Gigabyte has 3 year warranty here which rocks my balls.

Nice little table for you gays to chew on. Am a happy camper and glad I stayed with ATi for now.

Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Aww you should´ve installed the current hotfix driver

Anyways enjoy your new card!!
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:51 PM   #3
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Aww you should´ve installed the current hotfix driver

Anyways enjoy your new card!!
Maybe, if I am crazy enough, I might re-run the benches tomorrow to see wtf is hotfix about...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:52 PM   #4
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Congrats bud! Great purchase.

yoz
Old Jan 4, 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

You made the right decision.

I love my card too.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Jan 4, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Eluder
Radeon R420

Eluder is still being judged by the masses

Interesting, you have a fairly similar rig to mine, including the overclock, and I upgraded from a 5850 to the 6950.
I'm waiting for Metro 2033 to arrive to see how this new card does.
16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
2x EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000
LG GGC-H20L
Pioneer BDR-205
Seasonic M12D-850W
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Dell U2711
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Interesting, you have a fairly similar rig to mine, including the overclock, and I upgraded from a 5850 to the 6950.
I'm waiting for Metro 2033 to arrive to see how this new card does.
Can you please bench 3dmark11 and UniEngine 2.0 benches so that I can see if performance is what should be expected. .
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:38 AM   #8
KAC

New drivers with very slight performance improvement.
3dmark11 for 4604 score
Uniengine 2xAA, 16xAF Normal tesselation for 53.4
Nothing ground breaking and unnoticeable real world performance improvement so not going to re-do the complete benching set.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:48 AM   #9
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

cpu limited in nfs most likely. great upgrade though, and a free 10% boost on top of an already 30%+ boost.

I approve
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:40 AM   #10
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
cpu limited in nfs most likely. great upgrade though, and a free 10% boost on top of an already 30%+ boost.

I approve
Actually I get no tearing in NFS HP so that is why I think vsync never gets disabled. And yes, it is a fantastic upgrade. I got a 6970 at 9$ less than retail with an overall ~30%+ boost across the board with no out of pocket expenses. .

Also real world gaming tempratures are around 85 C and fan speed never goes above 40% which is fine by me.

Last edited by KAC : Jan 5, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:15 PM   #11
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Actually I get no tearing in NFS HP so that is why I think vsync never gets disabled.
don't know if it works for ATI but you can try

Go to Documents\Criterion Games\Need for Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit
open with notepad "config.NFS11Save"
change to FitToVertical=false

then force vsync off in nvidia game profile, that's working for me
Old Jan 6, 2011, 02:22 PM   #12
becco
Radeon Evergreen

becco is still being judged by the masses

Congrats for the unlocked, HD6950 @ HD6970 is known the king of price and performance.

My YouTube
Old Jan 6, 2011, 02:52 PM   #13
KAC

It's unlocked and it is a beast. I don't know wtf happened yesterday or day before when I benched and got 92/93 C temps w/ 57% fan speed. Today I overclocked the card to 950 core and 1425 memory (memory is rated for 1425 MHz and core was maxed out in MSI afterburner) and temps remained below 90 C and fan speed at 40 C whilst running 3dmark11.

Final score of 6970 @ 950 core / 1425 memory is P4854 using 3dmark11 1.01.

Last edited by KAC : Jan 6, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:06 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
It's unlocked and it is a beast.
You gonna keep the card or get a 570?

yoz
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:09 PM   #15
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
You gonna keep the card or get a 570?
Keep it. Saved the 60+ bucks and also heard that for 3D I need SLI. I hardly have time to game and am not willing to part with 650$ for LCD+Glasses and another 425$*2 for 570 SLi.

Not my cup of tea especially considering my lowly Q6600 which will run me another 600-800 bones to upgrade to core i7. $2000+ on a computer is not my thing seriously.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:11 PM   #16
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Keep it. Saved the 60+ bucks and also heard that for 3D I need SLI.
Got 'cha, enjoy.

yoz
Old Jan 7, 2011, 02:20 AM   #17
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Keep it. Saved the 60+ bucks and also heard that for 3D I need SLI. I hardly have time to game and am not willing to part with 650$ for LCD+Glasses and another 425$*2 for 570 SLi.

Not my cup of tea especially considering my lowly Q6600 which will run me another 600-800 bones to upgrade to core i7. $2000+ on a computer is not my thing seriously.
Nope

For Surround (3 Monitors) you would need SLI , but 3D runs on a single card (You will need another card only becaue your fps would be cut into half )

Enjoy your card
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC 1.1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 30.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:23 AM   #18
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaelromany View Post
Nope

For Surround (3 Monitors) you would need SLI , but 3D runs on a single card (You will need another card only becaue your fps would be cut into half )

Enjoy your card
That's what I meant. My focus is always real world gaming performance and not on a feature that I have in my pocket but is unusable due to lack of sufficient horse power.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:21 AM   #19
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

You going to use eyefinity or sticking to a single monitor?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:39 AM   #20
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
You going to use eyefinity or sticking to a single monitor?
I am not a fan of multiple monitors. When I tried it, it was extremely distracting to have a second monitor on the side whilst gaming. Additionally, I do not like Eyefinity at all due to bezels showing up. I can see bezels even in single monitor and can't possibly ignore bezels on multi-monitor setups.

If anything, I need to upgrade my monitor to 1080p resolution before I even think about multi monitor setups .
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:01 AM   #21
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I need to upgrade my monitor to 1080p resolution before I even think about multi monitor setups .
Agreed. Now that you have a powerhouse of a card hook it up to a big monitor.

yoz
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:18 AM   #22
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Agreed. Now that you have a powerhouse of a card hook it up to a big monitor.
But I think I might be CPU limited...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:24 AM   #23
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Your improvements would of been even higher if you were benching on 1080p. For most titles today, I would consider 1680x1050 the middle child resolution where it's stuck between CPU and GPU limitations. Nearly becoming all CPU limited.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:29 AM   #24
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Ahh for sure then, pick up a nice 24" 1080p monitor
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 AM   #25
KAC

New drivers mean more performance. Now punching P4921 marks up from P4854.

Card at 950 / 1425 omgwtfmegahurtz...
Old May 23, 2011, 12:12 PM   #26
KAC

So been a while since I purchased this. Card has been running smooth like butta since day of purchase. Can't stress enough how good value is on them 6950s. However, if only I could get rid of ATi specific features* for new games, I will be a happy camper.

*Such as hitching, lightmap issues, black boxes on screen, flickering textures etc