Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Default ITunes sucks.

So, have a nice Ipod Touch. Great device.

Itunes...well, Itunes sucks. As a media player, as a music organizer, etc...pretty much fails at everything I am looking for in a music player.

So, I used Media Monkey to load my Ipod. Worked GREAT. Just missing an album art. No worries, I might, maybe could find a way to do that in itunes.

Open itunes, and frak, the little "Synch in progress" text came up. Thats NEVER good when it involves Itunes.

Oh look. I tunes deleted all my music on the ipod. Thanks Itunes!
Wait, whats this? 7 gigs in "other" on used space? Oh joy! Itunes decided to leave the music (in the most ****ed up file struncture on the planet) and just deleted the records of them!

Yay! A full ipod with no accessible music!

**** you Itunes.

**** You.

Edit:
And another thing. Who the hell writes a program that won't let you edit ID3 tags?! "Oh, I don't know what this song is, so I'm going to leave artist, and album blank"

"What? You filled in the blanks?! Well that was obviously unintentional, here, let me delete those for you. It doesn't exist in my database, so therefor those songs don't have an artist or album"

Who the well wrote this program? It's worse than Windows 98 1st edition. It also has the honor of being the ONLY program to crash windows 7 on me. Nothing else has managed that. Not even things written 15 years ago that have no business running on windows 7.

Piece of **** software.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.

Last edited by A2597 : Nov 6, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

PEBCAK

I hate using iTunes, but those aren't valid problems if you RTFM'd or used common sense.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:36 PM   #3
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
PEBCAK

I hate using iTunes, but those aren't valid problems if you RTFM'd or used common sense.
Itunes has a manual? Thats sad in and of itself.

As for other points:
I turned off auto-synch. Full manual. All the good it does. It resets those commands when it autoupdates. Even when you tell it not to.

Honestly, I've been using multimedia programs for most of my life, and I've only ever had issues with this one.

Biggest peice of bloated rotting **** I've ever used on a computer. I honestly can't think of any other program that is this craptastic.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Quote:
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Itunes has a manual? Thats sad in and of itself.

As for other points:
I turned off auto-synch. Full manual. All the good it does. It resets those commands when it autoupdates. Even when you tell it not to.
I think using your ipod with MM and then plugging it back into iTunes makes iTunes recognize it as a new device and screws up your auto/manual synch flag.

What about ID3 tagging, are you telling me you haven't figured that one out yet?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Cordl3ssPen
nareteV D3egaR

Cordl3ssPen is still being judged by the masses

With all the anti-Apple and Apple created software threads we've been having lately, we should just make a whole "**** you Apple!" sub-forum.
Cordl3ssPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I honestly can't think of any other program that is this craptastic.
You're using Windows so isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

This is clearly user error.

I've edited tags for years in iTunes. They comply with tag standards and will carry across other media playing software. If you find that the artist and album are blank when you put in iTunes, it's because the tags aren't there in the first place.

I use Media Monkey and mp3tagger everytime I rip a new CD or download from the unknown. MM for tagging with album art, artist, song title, track number, genre. Then I use mp3tagger to rename the file itself based off the tags I've made. Then I load into iTunes. Everything always comes out gravy. I use iTunes for those one off singles for tagging and getting artwork, which I hate doing because I prefer to have the entire album. Anyways...

I run iTunes on my 64 bit Windows 7 Pro install without issue.

Syncing has never deleted media from my iPhone.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:11 PM   #8
drspangle
Radeon Arctic Islands

drspangle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
This is clearly user error.

I've edited tags for years in iTunes. They comply with tag standards and will carry across other media playing software. If you find that the artist and album are blank when you put in iTunes, it's because the tags aren't there in the first place.

I use Media Monkey and mp3tagger everytime I rip a new CD or download from the unknown. MM for tagging with album art, artist, song title, track number, genre. Then I use mp3tagger to rename the file itself based off the tags I've made. Then I load into iTunes. Everything always comes out gravy. I use iTunes for those one off singles for tagging and getting artwork, which I hate doing because I prefer to have the entire album. Anyways...

I run iTunes on my 64 bit Windows 7 Pro install without issue.

Syncing has never deleted media from my iPhone.
If you've ever done a HIG course you would know there is no such thing as user error in software - only badly designed software. If you do something wrong, that you did not intend, then the interface has failed.

Of course the vast majority of programs do a terrible job, but apple is supposed to be the one who knows about this sort of thing.

Also, no one cares about your experiences, they are 100% irrelevant in the thread starters experience, obviously.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:21 PM   #9
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Using itunes is like having to put your hand in your anus every time you want to chew something. You can learn how to do it well over time, but why would you want to?

It's designed for single-button-mashing retards.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
PEBCAK

Wrong. iTunes is ****ing horrible music management software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I use Media Monkey and mp3tagger everytime I rip a new CD or download from the unknown. MM for tagging with album art, artist, song title, track number, genre. Then I use mp3tagger to rename the file itself based off the tags I've made.
*face palm*
Media Monkey does this for you. Not only does it do that for you, but it will re-org your file structure based on id3 tags. You even get to tell it how to di it.

As opposed to iTunes,
"Oh hi, I'm iTunes. *waiting re-orging the **** out of your library*"
"Wait wtf, I didn't say do that."
"iTunes has finished re-orging your library. And renaming all files to replace characters it doesn't like with underscores."
"God damn it iTunes."
"iTunes will now retag all your files."
"arg, cancel button isn't working!!!."

Last edited by Cartigan : Nov 6, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:40 PM   #11
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Apple software. Not a fan.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Kraven
Stafoo!

Kraven is still being judged by the masses

WINAMP

/thread

Yeah some quote goes here...

Kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:47 PM   #13
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

I hate Itunes as well, I use YamIpod personally. I'm sure there's better, but it works.

For the tags in Itunes: Right-click on the track you want to edit the tags, click on Get Info, then on the Info tab is all of your tags.
vertual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:49 PM   #14
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Itunes is quite frankly terrible. It follows the "Apple knows best" mentality and it tries to force you do do what it wants to do. Apple fail.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
WINAMP

/thread
2nd worst music management software. Not even that good music playing software.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 07:17 PM   #16
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
You're using Windows so isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?
Windows is an awesome OS despite you macnoobs not wanting to believe it. You're still using a fisher price OS designed for the disabled and the retarded after all
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
Windows is an awesome OS despite you macnoobs not wanting to believe it. You're still using a fisher price OS designed for the disabled and the retarded after all
It's the two mouse buttons... Get's them every time!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

iTunes is and always has been second-rate software disguised as first-rate software.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:19 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
Wrong. iTunes is ****ing horrible music management software.
Whatever you may think of iTunes, it's still PEBCAK in this case.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:00 AM   #20
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

I hardly even use itunes except for the rare OS upgrade for my phone. I have all of my music on my phone already and rarely add anything new. I also download a bunch of podcasts before I go out of town about once a month or so. I've never really gotten too deep in tagging all my songs or any serious organization, as long as the song, artist and album title labels are right, and the art is there I'm good to go. I keep all my stuff in one big folder, using the "sort by.." buttons in Windows to list by artist, album etc. That's about the extent of my music organization. :\

Never had it erase any of my stuff or anything like that. In the options you can give yourself as much or as little control over the sync process and what occurs during it as you want. I think leaving it at defaults though it wants to sync your whole library everytime, and I also think it's set to automatically open itunes and sync whenever you plug in, which is very annoying to me. I'm a manual sync guy myself . I tell it exactly what to sync, when I want it done. Absolutely nothing happens automatically when I plug my phone up, that's the way I like it.

For my use it's functional, and does it's job. Though, since I do almost nothing with it I guess you could say itunes is very good at doing almost nothing .
Old Nov 8, 2009, 08:19 AM   #21
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Rather than claim PEBCAK, I'll back you on this. I hate iTunes as well as how iPods handle music. It renames all of your music files to some short-form encryption which is both ridiculous and unnecessary as no other MP3 players does this. I despise iTunes so much I even uninstalled it from Mac. And for an MP3 player as much as I love the physical design of the Nano, I bought a Sansa Fuze instead which uses a simple file system any computer can understand; and if you want album art just save a JPG to the folder called "album art.jpg".

My advice is get WinAmp. It can manage your iPod MP3's for you, it's stable, it's sophisticated, and it's bloat-free. I've used WinAmp since version 1.x on Win95, and I like it so much I actually purchased Pro edition to encode all my music CD's to MP3.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:29 PM   #22
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
WINAMP

/thread
I organize my music via a folder system I set up many many years ago.

But yes, to play music, I use Winamp. But as stated, it is terrible for organizing / ID tagging music. For that I use Media Monkey. Also, Winamp can't read/write to the newer IPod touches. Media monkey can (Using the Beta release). I've been using Winamp since 1.53 though, so I can relate.

The statement about ID3 tagging in Itunes is, I tell it to change an ID3 tag, and it deletes the ID3 tag I just created. Which is annoying, because I can do it in any other player in a matter of seconds, and then ITunes will recogize it.

short answer, I wish I didn't have to have ITunes installed.

Quote:
Old Nov 9, 2009, 05:45 AM   #23
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Have you tried CopyTrans Manager? I found it on google, looks interesting:

http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:38 AM   #24
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Have you tried CopyTrans Manager? I found it on google, looks interesting:

http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php
Yep, actually this has been the easiest way to add album art for the albums missing it. However to add/edit track/retag, nothing beats media monkey.

Thanks!

Quote:
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:20 AM   #25
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Well if you get frustrated enough you can always go for my solution

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sans...ansa-fuze.aspx
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:21 PM   #26
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I agree. Itunes is the epitome of poorly written and managed software. Highly prone to errors, substantially unstable and an atrocious UI.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:32 PM   #27
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
It's the two mouse buttons... Get's them every time!
Windows users are unable to use the keyboard and mouse at the same time.

The decision to keep the single button mouse was not a Jobs decision though. His only bad mousing decision was the iMac "puck" mouse, and that was a doozy.

I use iTunes. It's fine, even if I end up using Front Row a heck of a lot more. I've never had any sort of tagging problems with iTunes.

There is one caveat though. Don't ever really use iTunes to manage your library on Windows, because it sticks in on your boot drive so if you ever have to reformat, you're screwed (assuming you don't backup).

The problem is that if you edit tags, I believe it changes iTunes XML files in your My Music Library but doesn't save them to the files if you chose that iTunes not run your library. I haven't verified because I'm lazy but I noticed that with a few albums that I always have to constantly retag every time I reformat or when I copied the album over from my PC to my Mac. It could be an old quirk on Windows but I haven't really used iTunes since I downgraded to XP in July. Not even sure it's installed on my PC...

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:41 PM   #28
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Rather than claim PEBCAK, I'll back you on this. I hate iTunes as well as how iPods handle music. It renames all of your music files to some short-form encryption which is both ridiculous and unnecessary as no other MP3 players does this.
I've never encountered that.
Quote:
I despise iTunes so much I even uninstalled it from Mac. And for an MP3 player as much as I love the physical design of the Nano, I bought a Sansa Fuze instead which uses a simple file system any computer can understand; and if you want album art just save a JPG to the folder called "album art.jpg".
Changing artwork in iTunes is automatic, and if the album is obscure, you can drag and drop the jpg onto the album art box of the Get Info dialog.

Quote:
My advice is get WinAmp. It can manage your iPod MP3's for you, it's stable, it's sophisticated, and it's bloat-free. I've used WinAmp since version 1.x on Win95, and I like it so much I actually purchased Pro edition to encode all my music CD's to MP3.
My experience with WinAmp was starkly different. Never really used it after AOL got their clutches on it.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:45 AM   #29
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
My experience with WinAmp was starkly different. Never really used it after AOL got their clutches on it.
I agree somewhat, it didn't get better after AOL got it. Defiantly got more bloated (No where near Itunes though!). I mostly use it because it's familiar, and the skinning. But it doesn't manage my music, just plays it.

As for windows users unable to use mouse and keyboard at the same time, that's poppycock. I use keyboard shortcuts continuously while on the PC, I practically live in photo shop and other adobe programs where keyboard shortcuts are necessary to an expedient work flow.

and for itunes renaming files....ever look at the folder structure of your ipod? I know why they did it (So you CANNOT remove music from the device to share, or put on another PC) but it is still annoying. They easily could have used a drag and drop interface like the majority of players out there, they didn't to force users to use ITunes for as long as possible.

Quote:
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:48 AM   #30
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I organize my music via a folder system I set up many many years ago.

But yes, to play music, I use Winamp. But as stated, it is terrible for organizing / ID tagging music. For that I use Media Monkey. Also, Winamp can't read/write to the newer IPod touches. Media monkey can (Using the Beta release). I've been using Winamp since 1.53 though, so I can relate.

The statement about ID3 tagging in Itunes is, I tell it to change an ID3 tag, and it deletes the ID3 tag I just created. Which is annoying, because I can do it in any other player in a matter of seconds, and then ITunes will recogize it.

short answer, I wish I didn't have to have ITunes installed.
this
why would I want to reorganize my music on top of another organization system that already is there
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote