Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 7, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
PeaceKeeper
Keeping The Peace

PeaceKeeper is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber
Default Doom 4 OT | Shotgun to the Face

To me this is great news because sometimes I just love to kickback and shoot them up, especially after having a bad day in the office. I've been an id fan since the days of Doom and Doom II. Doom 3 was a bit of a let down for me, so I really hope Doom 4 will be a much better game overall.

id Software will be producing another Doom title after all. After last year's unveiling of Rage, id's next-generation title based on entirely new intellectual property, the game development studio has announced Doom 4. Production on the next installment in the Doom series has already begun, and id says it is "expanding its internal team and is currently hiring to work on this highly anticipated title."

Source: The Tech Report

ASUS Maximus Hero VIII (Bios 3802) | Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX PC4-19200 DDR4 @ 2400MHz (14-16-16-31-1T) @ 1.2v | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming 11GB | Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 | Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD | 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA2 Hard Drives RAID 1 | ASUS BC-12B1ST 12x BD-ROM | ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24x DVD-RW | Logitech G400 Mouse | Das Keyboard 4 root | Corsair HXi Series 850 Watt Power Supply | Corsair Obsidian 650D | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" LCD Rev. A02 | Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 2.1 / Sennheiser RS 170 | APC Smart-UPS SMT 1500 | Windows 10 Professional x64

MacBook (Uni-body) | 13.3 Inch Widescreen Display | Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26GHz | 8GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz | GeForce 9400M 256MB | 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro | OS X Yosemite
PeaceKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:28 PM   #2
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

yeah i just saw this on toms hardware and i was very happy. Id games has always made awesome straight up FPS games and their engines are amazing. Can't wait to play this.

Doom 4 will likely take advantage of id’s latest Tech 5 engine that was originally shown off at E3 in 2007 and then at John Carmack’s keynote at Quakecon 2007. Tech 5 is cross-platform, allowing developers to render the same models without having to write different codes for each platform. The new engine will also be OpenGL based and will not require DirectX 10 to run.

Id Software is coinciding the title announcement with a plethora of new jobs available in hopes of grabbing new talent to aid in development of Doom 4. Roles range from producer to lead animator and hints at the platforms Doom is being developed for.

"Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

I wonder if it will keep DOOM 3's playstyle or use DOOM II's.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
I wonder if it will keep DOOM 3's playstyle or use DOOM II's.
I hope they try to make a full game out of the gameplay that the doom3 alpha had.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I hope they try to make a full game out of the gameplay that the doom3 alpha had.
How did the alpha version of Doom 3 play? I never played the leak.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

once again id has let me down. I thought they were actually producing a new game, new story not the same god damn rehash. Doom was cool in the 90's, doom3 was alright but it showed that gamers wanted a bit more then corridor shooters. That tech demo with the weird asian guy looked interesting yet they are going back to the same ole formula

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
How did the alpha version of Doom 3 play? I never played the leak.
It was more of a survivalhorror game than the retail version.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Cosmonaut_Roger
Radeon Evergreen

Cosmonaut_Roger is still being judged by the masses

Interesting, I thought I read somewhere, maybe WIRED, that Carmack was getting out of game development. I read that after Doom3, he was burned out and wanted to focus most of efforts on his rocket program and only deal with the coding aspects for graphics engines part time. Either way, I think this is cool news because despite what people say, id definitely knows how ot make a pretty good FPS.
3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
24x CD-ROM Drive
1mg Integrated Video Card by Cirrus Logic
Sound Blaster 16 Sound Card
One 9-pin Serial (Comm) Port
One Parallel LTP Printer Port
Dos 6.22
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:55 PM   #9
ChrisW77
Stuck in the 80's

ChrisW77 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
once again id has let me down. I thought they were actually producing a new game, new story not the same god damn rehash. Doom was cool in the 90's, doom3 was alright but it showed that gamers wanted a bit more then corridor shooters. That tech demo with the weird asian guy looked interesting yet they are going back to the same ole formula
I'm sorry, but I'm with him.
I thought, or hoped that, after seeing Tech5 we would finally see some new IP from i.d.software. Oh well.
It looked from the demo like we may see a sort of Mad Max style game.
ChrisW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Doom 4 will likely take advantage of id’s latest Tech 5 engine that was originally shown off at E3 in 2007 and then at John Carmack’s keynote at Quakecon 2007. Tech 5 is cross-platform, allowing developers to render the same models without having to write different codes for each platform. The new engine will also be OpenGL based and will not require DirectX 10 to run.
Sounds impressive.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 04:04 PM   #11
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

AWESOME!!! Can't wait. Love the Doom universe.
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 04:27 PM   #12
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Hopefully this fixes everything wrong with Doom3... and there is a lot to fix

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 04:37 PM   #13
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Hopefully this fixes everything wrong with Doom3... and there is a lot to fix
Ahmen.

I wonder if there's any original id people left to quit over this one as well?

You know, some of the fun of the original Doom 1 and Doom 2 back in the day was that there were very large area's with hordes of enemies and you could just unload. Doom3 just seemed to only have small rooms and sneak attacks. It didn't have any of the original "fun" of the first two.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

Taman Linkin is still being judged by the masses

If you want a horde of enemy attack, theres always Serious Sam and Painkiller, and both of the is fukin awesome.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:05 PM   #15
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taman Linkin View Post
If you want a horde of enemy attack, theres always Serious Sam and Painkiller, and both of the is fukin awesome.
Agreed. If you just take out the imps in the closet Doom 3 is first rate.
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 05:08 PM   #16
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

I think those are excellent news. Despite it's many flaws, Doom3 was probably the last genuinely scary game that I played. If they manage to avoid the repetition this time then it might live up to the expectations that I imagine most of us had towards no. 3.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 05:37 PM   #17
Idle Wild
Up and away!

Idle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyIdle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'll set my diary for 5 years time then!
Idle Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

So does this mean that game in the Tech 5 engine demo is still being made? Or was that just a tech demo and they're just doing Doom 4 now?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 05:54 PM   #19
klutzon
Found his way home

klutzon is still being judged by the masses

This surprise definitely came out of nowhere... Doom 4, wow...

Klutz is enjoying his "Forever" membership at Galbadia Hotel... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR CLICKS GUYS!!! :)
Galbadia Hotel: a place for game soundtrack lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
This is true. 'sides, Klutzon could quintuple post something and I'd still prefer his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDHA
Yes, I'm a stubborn moron at times, but it keeps me occupied ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honsy
Just tell her to open her mouth and close her eyes ... then throw her down and stick it in her pooper ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimacy
Welcome to the world of current events. Feel free to grab a brochure and get back to us when you've caught up with the latest news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke
It's okay Vazel. We all know about your "punctuation" issues and how much you like ";" as opposed to ":"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzian View Post
Ugh, I hate that.. I honestly get so paranoid it's not even funny. One time, I ran out of eyedrops (dear god) and forgot. I went to the nearest shoppers, red-eyed as hell, holding only a box of clear-eyes in a huge line up, never.. ever.. again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Yeah, it seems like any game that doesn't measure up to some arbitrary standard or feeling we expect to have gets labeled consolized! What?!? Blurry textures! Consolitus! You can't save every 4 seconds? Consolitus! It doesn't have 12 million buttons that are bindable to controls! Consolitus! I can't use 16XAA with 166XAF consolitus! I got laid last nite because I wasn't playing PC games. Consolitus! No wait....
| My Games Collection (last updated Oct 07)
klutzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 06:00 PM   #20
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

So this leaked screenshot is real afterall!

SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 06:02 PM   #21
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Aren't they working on the new IP Rage too?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 06:02 PM   #22
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Nice, DooM3 was awesome.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 06:21 PM   #23
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

Flashlight v.2
Old May 7, 2008, 06:32 PM   #24
Melted Rabbit
Radeon R300

Location: Lord Howe Island Olympus Mons, Independent Republic of Mars
Melted Rabbit is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
So this leaked screenshot is real afterall!
This screenshot is real too:

http://www.applefritter.com/node/20304

I think the above screenshot looks too much like a graphically simplified version of far too many current games and both the example and current games having very similar gameplay.
Melted Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 06:43 PM   #25
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

umm I have a groundbreaking idea for doom4, I'm not sure if I should contact ID directly. Saying it here would be dumb as I want credit for it. I want it to be my patent.. OKAY OKAY, they should get this..... include a flashlight in doom 4 which can be used while shooting a gun.
Also shooting spawning enemies in a closet wasn't fun, open areas are needed. Also bumpmapped shiny surfaces of made up non-realistic objects just isn't cool or hot or awesome GFX. What I'm saying is, I don't really care
Old May 7, 2008, 06:44 PM   #26
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Holy shiz...I thought it's just triology of Doom, but its not. Damn I should have brought a Doom 3 to beat it before Doom 4 come out!

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 07:07 PM   #27
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I remember playing doom back on my X800 plat and ill be honest certain moments it was kinda scary. But come halfway you get use to the popping around and crap. It was alright kept me interested for the most part, but I think when doom 3 came out it was a very fine product. I feel when ppl talk smack about it they take too much of a comparison to whats out since then and not what was out when doom 3 arrived.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 07:10 PM   #28
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think doom 3 was impressive when ran with the right hardware. I cant wait for this one either.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:15 PM   #29
Socio
Radeon Arctic Islands

Socio is still being judged by the masses

I could have sworn I read after they did Doom III they said they that would not rehash Doom or Quake again but would be working on something totally new.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:26 PM   #30
Nosferatu
Hasta la victoria siempre

Nosferatu is still being judged by the masses

Will it have next-gen darkness to?
You know, that deep pitch-black dark kind of darkness...