Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default The nostalgia is real....so many remasters/remakes

Anyone notice the large amount of remade/remastered 16bit games to HD?

A lot of Final Fantasy titles that are not 15+
Secrete of Mana collection
I think theres a Sega arcade collection
Mega Man Zero collection
And theres a Lion King/Aladdin (Sega Aladdin) combo pack just announced.

I may be just paying attention to Nintendo Switch news though (where theres a ton of indie titles being announced in 16bit style).
But im just not seeing a whole lot of so-called big name blockbuster games that would push consoles to their graphical limits.
I mean I have to think the last real big name titles I've really heard coming out is the remade CoD4 (And Doom eternal/Wolfenstein Youngblood)

A sign of the times? Old games are just better? Ballooning HD budgets for blockbusters getting out of control and the remasters are an easy way to recoup losses?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
ugly
Radeon R520

ugly is still being judged by the masses

Usually this is something I'd rip on as being a cash grab, but I'm actually okay with it.

I remember reading somewhere that Square wanted to get all of their back catalogue on the PC. Yeah, it's also riding the nostalgia wave and basically everyone is a sucker for nostalgia. But, at the same time, a lot of these games aren't really legitimately playable without the original console.

So, in that sense I like the idea that they are repackaging these games to make them available and playable on a modern system. I don't like it when a company just sits on the IP and doesn't use it, and then immediately shuts down some great-looking fan-made project because they want to protect their IP.

To me, the only problem is when they kind of ruin the game. For example, the Final Fantasy 4 remakes are the terrible DS ports and play a lot differently than the SNES version. I've heard a lot of complaints about the art style in FF5 and FF6. Instead of using the PC platform to make a better game, we've kind of being getting quick mobile-version knock-offs.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Its as simple as companies recognizing and capitalizing on the increasing popularity of retro gaming as 30-something year olds with disposable income are hearkening back to their childhood and wanting to replay the old games.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 3, 2019, 09:33 PM   #4
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Played and finished maybe 3-4 remasters (Uncharted series). Other than that I don’t touch them.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

New Sega Genesis Mini Review. Looks great!!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/12/...ew/?yptr=yahoo
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:21 AM   #6
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
New Sega Genesis Mini Review. Looks great!!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/12/...ew/?yptr=yahoo
Of course I'm interested in this as well, but I'm starting to wonder if these mini consoles are not really for me. They are fine for the casual gamer who wants to relive some nostalgic gaming, but I think I may not be in the demographic for these. I'd much rather put my money towards a Mega Sg from Analogue and get an Everdrive to play Genesis ROMs on it.

In the end knowing me I will probably do both.

By the way we do have a thread for this already: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...t=sega+genesis
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Of course I'm interested in this as well, but I'm starting to wonder if these mini consoles are not really for me. They are fine for the casual gamer who wants to relive some nostalgic gaming, but I think I may not be in the demographic for these. I'd much rather put my money towards a Mega Sg from Analogue and get an Everdrive to play Genesis ROMs on it.

In the end knowing me I will probably do both.

By the way we do have a thread for this already: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...t=sega+genesis
Its definitely for the casuals or for the people who do not want to tinker with a PC and find ROMS.

Its easy enough to say , get this emulator, set it up on PC (or raspberry pi, etc) and have access to a gajillion roms but not everyone is willing to go through that exercise. Like me, I can do it but I don't want to.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:42 PM   #8
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

lol I even posted in that thread back in June.

I thought this was interesting:

If you change the system's language, you also change the region of the games on offer. This updates the box art in the main menu, and also swaps in a different ROM specific to the region. Yes, this means you can essentially play "imports," such as the easier, Japanese version of Contra: Hard Corps.