Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 24, 2021, 06:40 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
German Engineering. I'm for sure getting a pair of DT1990's now. I was on the fence with a couple of others.

Another G6.
For MIC I use a Steller X2 into a Art Tube MP into a BBE 282ix. This is not for games, this is for work. For warm but detailed clean pronunciation, this is perfect for my needs. The BBE is my secret weapon.
Yeah the audient evo 4 has SUPER clean preamps like for the money you cannot find anything better. Mic wise I have it down to like 3 options.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 07:27 PM   #32
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Threw my SoundBlaster Z back in the rig. Some newer games don't play nicely with DTS Connect on the Realtek chipset. They default to stereo output and don't let you manually configure audio for 5.1 channels.

Thankfully, Creative's new SoundBlaster Command software appears to actually work vs. the junk bloatware that shipped with the card. Looks like they rereleased the Z sans microphone as the "SE" model. Actually, all of their cards for the past decade have used the exact same digital hardware...
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 07:54 PM   #33
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Embarrassing storytime: I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's about a year ago, specifically for my PC. They sound pretty good, but don't really shine against my sub-$100 headphones unless the volume is up (and this is rare).

I never plugged them into my phone and listened to music. See, my PC has shitty Realtek onboard sound with a buggy Nahimic software overlay. My phone has a spectacular audio processor (LG V20).

After reading through this thread and seeing that sound cards are still a thing (USB and otherwise) I listened to Balrog Boogie, a 221k VBR MP3 with a wide range of sounds/frequencies and I gotta say, the difference between listening to in on my computer vs my phone with these headphones is similar to seeing a fish castle in an aquarium, one with water, the other without.

I've thought that I was living with good sound but now I learn that it's barely adequate and an insult to these ear speakers. I need to do some reading up on some of the stuff you guys posted in this thread. Many thanks @ all of you.
Crawdaddy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 24, 2021, 09:20 PM   #34
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Embarrassing storytime: I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's about a year ago, specifically for my PC. They sound pretty good, but don't really shine against my sub-$100 headphones unless the volume is up (and this is rare).

I never plugged them into my phone and listened to music. See, my PC has shitty Realtek onboard sound with a buggy Nahimic software overlay. My phone has a spectacular audio processor (LG V20).

After reading through this thread and seeing that sound cards are still a thing (USB and otherwise) I listened to Balrog Boogie, a 221k VBR MP3 with a wide range of sounds/frequencies and I gotta say, the difference between listening to in on my computer vs my phone with these headphones is similar to seeing a fish castle in an aquarium, one with water, the other without.

I've thought that I was living with good sound but now I learn that it's barely adequate and an insult to these ear speakers. I need to do some reading up on some of the stuff you guys posted in this thread. Many thanks @ all of you.
The HD 600's are not the most sensitivity efficient headphones, and being 300ohms, they are going to need a relativity decent amp to drive them. For sure think about a DAC AMP combo for them. 400 dollar headphones into your onboard direct? That is a crime.

Sound cards mostly died off because video cards got really big, and onboard got ''good enough''. Otherwise, they still have a purpose because they are superior. Just most normies don't care. Also, ITX and micro ATX got really popular. So there is that too.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 09:49 PM   #35
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, any high impedance headphones will expose a bad source really quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2021, 08:54 PM   #36
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

out of curiosity, I'm going to pick up some Philips 9500's next week to compare to my 7506's.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 26, 2021, 04:52 PM   #37
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

For my PC I use the Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 (was using the Titanium HD previously) and a 2.1 speaker setup consisting of 2 x JBL LSR305 and 1 x JBL LSR310S. Sounds freaking awesome.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2021, 07:12 PM   #38
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Got the G6 in. Will connect it tonight and report my findings.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2021, 07:30 PM   #39
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For my PC I use the Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 (was using the Titanium HD previously) and a 2.1 speaker setup consisting of 2 x JBL LSR305 and 1 x JBL LSR310S. Sounds freaking awesome.
That is one of the best setups so far in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Got the G6 in. Will connect it tonight and report my findings.
Bin gespannt. What headphones to you have?
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:02 AM   #40
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Bin gespannt. What headphones to you have?
BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm.

Used DDU to remove Creative drivers and software. Plugged in the G6 and DID NOT install drivers. The little G6 delivers! My cans came to life and all my audio issues are gone.

Great little box!
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:05 AM   #41
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Does the G6 use the Sound Blaster Command software? I'd assume it does, so If so, you can check for updates through the application. It'll take care of everything for you.

I'd recommend checking the settings, as my AE-5 by default will be set for low Ohm headphone gain. With DT770s, you'll want to change that setting to "High" headphone gain, so that the amp feeds the cans appropriately.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:18 AM   #42
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does the G6 use the Sound Blaster Command software? I'd assume it does, so If so, you can check for updates through the application. It'll take care of everything for you.

I'd recommend checking the settings, as my AE-5 by default will be set for low Ohm headphone gain. With DT770s, you'll want to change that setting to "High" headphone gain, so that the amp feeds the cans appropriately.
Will do. I'll check it when I get home.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 08:38 PM   #43
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm.

Used DDU to remove Creative drivers and software. Plugged in the G6 and DID NOT install drivers. The little G6 delivers! My cans came to life and all my audio issues are gone.

Great little box!
Sick bro! The amp in the G6 is very powerful. Will have no problem powering even 600 ohm monsters. Creative really knocked it out of the park with the G6. For headphone users at least.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:01 PM   #44
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:

Quote:
Sick bro! The amp in the G6 is very powerful. Will have no problem powering even 600 ohm monsters. Creative really knocked it out of the park with the G6. For headphone users at least.
Guys.... this amp is awesome! I set it to High Gain and I had to turn my volume down to 25% (from 80+). The application is simple and elegant. It's an amazing piece of hardware. I already cancelled the Schiit Fulla 3.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 07:54 PM   #45
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Guys.... this amp is awesome! I set it to High Gain and I had to turn my volume down to 25% (from 80+). The application is simple and elegant. It's an amazing piece of hardware. I already cancelled the Schiit Fulla 3.
Glad it worked out
Audio is serious business.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:50 PM   #46
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I've heard the G6 has frustrating Mic Sidetone delay when microphone listening is enabled. Has anyone here experienced this?
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:39 PM   #47
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
I've heard the G6 has frustrating Mic Sidetone delay when microphone listening is enabled. Has anyone here experienced this?
Haven't used the mic yet.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 04:28 AM   #48
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Ok, purchased an Creative AE-5 Plus. Not sure I like SBX over CMSS3D..... however every thing else is nicer and I'll try playing with SBX to see if I end up using it. But so far, sounds pretty good

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2021, 08:42 AM   #49
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It's pretty crazy how much better Creative's software has become over the past 3-4 years.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:34 PM   #50
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
It's pretty crazy how much better Creative's software has become over the past 3-4 years.
Clearly creative labs has been putting a serious effort into the software/driver side of their company. Because the Sound Blaster Command software is pretty great so far.

*Late edit*
P.s. Forgot to mention. I had an audio crackle issue with my XFi XtremeMusic where after awhile I would get static, pop n' crackle on audio. Requiring me to switch the cards modes to fix it(From say Entertainment to Gaming). This hasn't happened at all with the AE-5 yet. Which is great, as that was getting pretty old with the X-Fi

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Feb 3, 2021 at 07:18 PM. Reason: laaaate edit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2021, 01:44 PM   #51
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm curious to see how this Creative stuff compares to a dedicated interface. I don't have the space to try one.

Actually haven't even tried the onboard on my new motherboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2021, 08:11 PM   #52
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Ok, purchased an Creative AE-5 Plus. Not sure I like SBX over CMSS3D..... however every thing else is nicer and I'll try playing with SBX to see if I end up using it. But so far, sounds pretty good
SBX for games. It does make a big difference. SBX is not so good for music, so turn it off for that. Awesome purchase, look forward to hearing more about it.

Quote:
Yes. It's ironic too because it was there software that was holding them back before, not it is their software that gives them an edge.
LG 43UD79-B