Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default itunes replacement software

Whats the best free software for mp3/ mixed audio files these days? Itunes is **** now (many installation/ uninstall problems, bloat, etc.) and I'm looking for something better. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
Whats the best free software for mp3/ mixed audio files these days? Itunes is **** now (many installation/ uninstall problems, bloat, etc.) and I'm looking for something better. Any recommendations?
If you're looking to sync to an iDevice, try DoubleTwist.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I'd say Winamp but it's pretty ****ty (What I'm using now). There is also Songbird if you like the iTunes feel minus the bloat. But even that lacks some of the options I found handy in iTunes.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:18 PM   #4
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah, forgot to mention, something to sync with the ipod would be good
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Could look into MediaMonkey.

SongBird might fit your needs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:36 PM   #6
MouSe-2005
I wear a tin hat

MouSe-2005 is still being judged by the masses

DoubleTwist sucks cock. I had that on my laptop to sync my Droid and it works about as well a toddler fixing his broken toys. I love iTunes myself.

Now Reading: Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matthew Bracken
Just Finished: World War Z by Max Brooks
MouSe-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:47 PM   #7
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

I like the Zune software (as I have a Zune and a Zune Pass), but in my previous life I used to use Winamp.

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
For syncing an iDevice, nothing will beat using iTunes natively. Especially if you buy anything off the iTunes/App stores. I'll give you that it's not the leanest program out there, but I never understood what the bloat people talk about these days refers to given that we run systems with a ton of processing power, HD space and RAM. I've never had any installation/uninstall problems either, what exactly is it you're having issues with?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 04:42 PM   #9
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
For syncing an iDevice, nothing will beat using iTunes natively. Especially if you buy anything off the iTunes/App stores. I'll give you that it's not the leanest program out there, but I never understood what the bloat people talk about these days refers to given that we run systems with a ton of processing power, HD space and RAM. I've never had any installation/uninstall problems either, what exactly is it you're having issues with?
Randomly one day itunes refused to start up. No problem, this has happened before so I tried to uninstall and reinstall. I tried uninstalling through the control panel and it would encounter an error and not be able to be uninstalled. I tried installing a newer version over the existing installation and after "successful" installation when opening the program, an error messages opens saying required files are missing, please reinstall itunes I tried manually deleting the files/ folders and reinstalling, and again, get the required files are missing or installation failure. After a successful removal and reinstallation, it still does not work.

I've used itunes for quite awhile now, even when the haters were hating but now I can't even get it functioning. Can't uninstall when its installed and cant install when its uninstalled

And did I mention, I loathe quicktime..
Old Sep 6, 2010, 05:22 PM   #10
MouSe-2005
I wear a tin hat

Odd problem there, never ran into it myself. Also, what's wrong with QT?

Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Randomly one day itunes refused to start up. No problem, this has happened before so I tried to uninstall and reinstall. I tried uninstalling through the control panel and it would encounter an error and not be able to be uninstalled. I tried installing a newer version over the existing installation and after "successful" installation when opening the program, an error messages opens saying required files are missing, please reinstall itunes I tried manually deleting the files/ folders and reinstalling, and again, get the required files are missing or installation failure. After a successful removal and reinstallation, it still does not work.
Really sounds like a system registry or stability issue to be honest.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:12 PM   #12
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Really sounds like a system registry or stability issue to be honest.
Could be, I don't know. Nothing else has gotten it going so far though.

Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:53 PM   #13
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

I no longer have the link but MS has a uninstaller cleanup utility that has worked wonders in the past when running into situations like this.

Sorry can't be more help but it is out there somewhere.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

The good thing about Media Monkey is that I can get music off an idevice even if that device isn't registered to my PC. It sucks for podcasts and is a PITA to use but it is more flexible than iTunes.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 02:18 PM   #15
MouSe-2005
I wear a tin hat

I can get all media off any iDevice by using Windows myself. Why install anything when I can use Windows Explorer?

Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:12 AM   #16
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

AIMP 2 is great for playing music on the PC. Can't sync though
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouSe-2005 View Post
I can get all media off any iDevice by using Windows myself. Why install anything when I can use Windows Explorer?
Elaborate.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:32 PM   #18
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
I no longer have the link but MS has a uninstaller cleanup utility that has worked wonders in the past when running into situations like this.

Sorry can't be more help but it is out there somewhere.
I gave this a try as I had read it solved some issues for others, but unfortunately everytime I try to get rid of anything itunes/ apple/ quicktime related it just errors out with an unspecified error message. The programs no longer show in its lists after the error message pops up, but still after a fresh install of the latest version (and previous version) itunes tells me files are missing and to reinstall (this is with the "Run itunes after installation" box is ticked)

I tried installing itunes 9 hoping an older version would get me going but the new (itunes 9) install see's a newer version installed (even after removing/ manually deleting/ win uninstall utitlity) and stops installation.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:23 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Try using regcleaner and removing all the Apple and iTunes keys. Also check your local settings\user\application data (XP) or users\appdata\local (Vista/7) for anything iTunes related and wipe it out.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Sep 12, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:39 PM   #20
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Try using regcleaner and removing all the Apple and iTunes keys. Also check your local settings\user\application data (XP) or users\appdata\local (Vista/7) for anything iTunes related and wipe it out.
Tried it. Ran regclean, then unistalled everything, ran regclean again, manually deleted all traces of itunes/ apple/ quictime, ran regclean once again, ran the MS install cleanup utility (nothing itunes related came up) rebooted and reinstalled itunes, still a no go. Always get the "missing files, needs to be reinstalled" message.

Not sure what else to try. Might have to start trying out 3rd party software for a solution.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:21 AM   #21
Zero
Sass hole

Did you check the application data folder? Does it tell you what files are missing or provide an error code?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:21 PM   #22
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Did you check the application data folder? Does it tell you what files are missing or provide an error code?
Yeah I deleted the files from the application data folder. The error just says "itunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall itunes"

Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:17 AM   #23
Zero
Sass hole

At this point I would seriously consider a reformat or

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:04 AM   #24
Das Damen
Radeon R300

Das Damen is still being judged by the masses

I switched over to foobar2000 recently since I got fed up with installing 90MB updates for iTunes seemingly every few days. Provided you have an older iPod than the Touch, you can also sync with right module.

Be warned that it may take quite a bit of configuration for foobar to look and act the exact way you want it to (although it works well "out-of-the-box").
Das Damen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:16 AM   #25
globalist
Banned

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Damen View Post
I switched over to foobar2000 recently since I got fed up with installing 90MB updates for iTunes seemingly every few days. Provided you have an older iPod than the Touch, you can also sync with right module.

Be warned that it may take quite a bit of configuration for foobar to look and act the exact way you want it to (although it works well "out-of-the-box").
Every few days? LOL

Anyway, what's the name of the foobar module that enables idevice sync? Thanks!
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:35 AM   #26
Das Damen
Radeon R300

Das Damen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Every few days? LOL

Anyway, what's the name of the foobar module that enables idevice sync? Thanks!
Well, I'm sure it wasn't every few days, but I would ask not to be reminded again of an available update. Sure enough, I would be reminded again over and over.

Seems like only the iPhone 4 is not supported now with iPod Manager
Das Damen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:48 AM   #27
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

For general listening, I still use good 'ol winamp.

For synching, or working with ID3 tagging, MediaMonkey hands down.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:57 AM   #28
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Winamp has been crashing a lot for me lately. Also the library just won't refresh properly at times. It really is a hassle. Wish there was something exactly like iTunes but minus the bull****.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote