Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:38 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia Australia
Posts: 1,099
fryjs is still being judged by the masses


Default

Same for me (although I have the 8x). When it works, it's great: skype doesn't have to be running to get chat and voice calls. Unfortunately, it almost always doesn't work and is currently (the beta) more trouble than it's worth.

The windows 8 skype client now works as it should though (getting chats and calls whilst skype isn't running), so hopefully the release version for wp8 will too.
__________________
"Beware those who would deny you knowledge, for in their hearts they dream themselves your master."
fryjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 PM   #242
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

FYI to everyone who has a WP8 device, but not the 920, the Maps application has apparently been released for everyone to download

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-relea...hone-8-devices
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #243
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 6,496
nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel


Default

I got one. Installed my sim card and every time I tried to make a call the damned thing would say "no sim card, emergency calls only" so I returned it and got a S3. I really wanted a WP8 phone too.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:30 PM   #244
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
I got one. Installed my sim card and every time I tried to make a call the damned thing would say "no sim card, emergency calls only" so I returned it and got a S3. I really wanted a WP8 phone too.
Weird, but I googled it and seems a few people have had a similar issue

The GS3 is a nice phone, I am sure you'll enjoy it
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:30 PM   #245
Zero
Sass hole
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 38,815
Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
I got one. Installed my sim card and every time I tried to make a call the damned thing would say "no sim card, emergency calls only" so I returned it and got a S3. I really wanted a WP8 phone too.
Why didn't you just do an exchange fr another 920?
__________________
"Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:19 PM   #246
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 6,496
nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Why didn't you just do an exchange fr another 920?
I wasn't going to risk having it happen again a few weeks down the line when I could no longer change the phone and had to send it in for repair instead.

Last edited by nrs421 : Jan 26, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:47 PM   #247
Zero
Sass hole
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 38,815
Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel


Default

Wouldn't strike me as a kind of problem that pops up over time... But hey, enjoy that S3.
__________________
"Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:15 PM   #248
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 6,496
nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Wouldn't strike me as a kind of problem that pops up over time... But hey, enjoy that S3.

A few people have said their phone started having this issue a few months after using it.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:31 PM   #249
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Egypt BFE
Posts: 1,171
Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Well, why are you not using Android then, since it is top's in market share?

Buddy.

If you have any relevant comments about the actual product, or questions, I will happily chime in. It is obvious you clearly have no idea about the 920 so if you have any interest, I will do my best to help you out.
I hope for microsoft's sake that WP8 at least goes somewhere. I don't really think windows is going to stick around much longer as dominant as it was over the last decade, and that is coming from somebody who exclusively uses windows 8.
__________________
Third kidney installed 12/2/2017, cadaverous donor.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:45 PM   #250
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I hope for microsoft's sake that WP8 at least goes somewhere. I don't really think windows is going to stick around much longer as dominant as it was over the last decade, and that is coming from somebody who exclusively uses windows 8.
The initial numbers seem solid, if not spectacular.

There is simply not the buzz you get, for example, for an aging dinosaur like iOS. But word of mouth is also important and it's been pretty solid.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:35 PM   #251
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Egypt BFE
Posts: 1,171
Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The initial numbers seem solid, if not spectacular.

There is simply not the buzz you get, for example, for an aging dinosaur like iOS. But word of mouth is also important and it's been pretty solid.
The thing is, a platform can NOT survive on its own, partnerships are required in order to establish broad industry support. Microsoft over the last decade has more or less told its partners that it is going to do its own thing, especially with the surface tablet. For this reason and others, Balmer has been getting a ton of flak for Microsoft's declining market shares across all of its markets over the last decade, many even calling him the worst CEO of all time. Steve Sinofsky is a big part of that, he was fired because his vision for windows has basically ruined the company's momentum.

Nokia is kind of this weird exception because Microsoft gave them a billion dollars to ensure that they'd stay away from android. They basically bought them out without actually doing so. That billion dollars wasn't free as Nokia has lost a lot of market share. Neither Nokia nor Microsoft release any sales figures, but data mining firms have found that their PR claims don't live up to reality. You hear the words "sold out" and "X millions sold" but that doesn't really tell you much, and in fact they really aren't selling that well:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...ays-pac-crest/

The same is true of windows 8:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-sales-figures

Sort of off topic, but the guy who developed the original xbox (don't recall his name) actually developed a separate touch OS and tablet for microsoft years before the ipad, which actually looked pretty neat, but Sinofsky thumbed his nose at it and had Balmer throw it out because he wanted it to be all windows (and as I'm sure many agree, desktop windows is NOT a good touch OS.) Microsoft realized that too late, which cost them dearly, so now we end up with metro, which survey says most consumers really don't like. When you hear about apple suing for rounded corners, there's good reason: your brain actually prefers rounded objects over sharp ones when it comes to feeling "comfort". Your brain also doesn't like information overload so it is easier on you when there is space between objects. Metro ignores both of these realities.
__________________
Third kidney installed 12/2/2017, cadaverous donor.

Last edited by Rakeesh : Jan 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 AM   #252
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
The thing is, a platform can NOT survive on its own, partnerships are required in order to establish broad industry support. Microsoft over the last decade has more or less told its partners that it is going to do its own thing, especially with the surface tablet.
Microsoft has come up with a number of amazing concepts over the years and finally we are seeing some of those items come to market. The idea of convergence has been bandied around since the days of Bill Gates. The implementation has been rough, especially with the move between WP7 and WP8. Hopefully the platform has now been finalized to the point where development will be easier.

Quote:
Nokia is kind of this weird exception because Microsoft gave them a billion dollars to ensure that they'd stay away from android. They basically bought them out without actually doing so. That billion dollars wasn't free as Nokia has lost a lot of market share. Neither Nokia nor Microsoft release any sales figures, but data mining firms have found that their PR claims don't live up to reality. You hear the words "sold out" and "X millions sold" but that doesn't really tell you much, and in fact they really aren't selling that well:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...ays-pac-crest/
Nokia returned to profit based on the sales on the 920. I went to 3 different stores before getting my phone, and every chat I had with the folks there in future visits (to pick up my wireless charger) indicated that sales were indeed very good.

Numbers shared by the carriers in the US indicate those sales have also been pretty decent, compared to expectations. It'll be a while before we see whether the strategy has paid off or not. With the massive vested interest in the iPhone, almost all buildings I walk into have 30-40% or so of the display space dedicated to that product, and accessories.

Quote:
The same is true of windows 8:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-sales-figures
The sales haven't been terrible. They haven't been stellar either. As the interface is understood, people will warm up, either to 8, or whatever comes after.

Quote:
(and as I'm sure many agree, desktop windows is NOT a good touch OS.) Microsoft realized that too late, which cost them dearly, so now we end up with metro, which survey says most consumers really don't like. When you hear about apple suing for rounded corners, there's good reason: your brain actually prefers rounded objects over sharp ones when it comes to feeling "comfort". Your brain also doesn't like information overload so it is easier on you when there is space between objects. Metro ignores both of these realities.
People don't like change. It takes them a while to warm up to it. The OS was designed based on in-depth usability studies.

What we prefer in today's world is easy consumption of information. The live tiles provide that. and there is plenty of space between the apps.

Every time I unlock my phone, I have new information. It stays fresh, it feels fresh, and it is always different and new. You don't get that with iOS. That information and ease of use made the transition from my previous devices a lot easier and, given that Android has been doing much the same for a while with it's widgets, is the direction things will be going to in the future.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:31 AM   #253
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Egypt BFE
Posts: 1,171
Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
People don't like change. It takes them a while to warm up to it. The OS was designed based on in-depth usability studies.

What we prefer in today's world is easy consumption of information. The live tiles provide that. and there is plenty of space between the apps.

Every time I unlock my phone, I have new information. It stays fresh, it feels fresh, and it is always different and new. You don't get that with iOS. That information and ease of use made the transition from my previous devices a lot easier and, given that Android has been doing much the same for a while with it's widgets, is the direction things will be going to in the future.
Except in this case you aren't asking people to simply get used to a new UI. Forget aesthetics. What you're asking them to do is go against what is ergonomically comfortable.
__________________
Third kidney installed 12/2/2017, cadaverous donor.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 AM   #254
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Except in this case you aren't asking people to simply get used to a new UI. Forget aesthetics. What you're asking them to do is go against what is ergonomically comfortable.
/me shrugs

I have yet to see a single review that said "huh, no rounded corners, it sucks". On the contrary, there has been widespread approval of the UI. And it is ergonomically a heck of a lot more comfortable than static icons in a bunch of screens.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nokia apologises for 'faked' Lumia smartphone advert guest Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing 36 Sep 21, 2012 05:13 PM
The Nokia Lumia 900: A good phone at a great price that you probably shouldn't buy Ristogod Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing 73 Sep 16, 2012 10:38 PM
Siri Says Lumia 900 is the Best Smartphone wabbitslayer Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing 2 May 18, 2012 09:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink