Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:38 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Same for me (although I have the 8x). When it works, it's great: skype doesn't have to be running to get chat and voice calls. Unfortunately, it almost always doesn't work and is currently (the beta) more trouble than it's worth.

The windows 8 skype client now works as it should though (getting chats and calls whilst skype isn't running), so hopefully the release version for wp8 will too.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 PM   #242
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

FYI to everyone who has a WP8 device, but not the 920, the Maps application has apparently been released for everyone to download

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-relea...hone-8-devices
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #243
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I got one. Installed my sim card and every time I tried to make a call the damned thing would say "no sim card, emergency calls only" so I returned it and got a S3. I really wanted a WP8 phone too.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:30 PM   #244
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
I got one. Installed my sim card and every time I tried to make a call the damned thing would say "no sim card, emergency calls only" so I returned it and got a S3. I really wanted a WP8 phone too.
Weird, but I googled it and seems a few people have had a similar issue

The GS3 is a nice phone, I am sure you'll enjoy it
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:30 PM   #245
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
Why didn't you just do an exchange fr another 920?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:19 PM   #246
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Why didn't you just do an exchange fr another 920?
I wasn't going to risk having it happen again a few weeks down the line when I could no longer change the phone and had to send it in for repair instead.

Last edited by nrs421 : Jan 26, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:47 PM   #247
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Wouldn't strike me as a kind of problem that pops up over time... But hey, enjoy that S3.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:15 PM   #248
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Wouldn't strike me as a kind of problem that pops up over time... But hey, enjoy that S3.

A few people have said their phone started having this issue a few months after using it.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:31 PM   #249
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Well, why are you not using Android then, since it is top's in market share?

Buddy.

If you have any relevant comments about the actual product, or questions, I will happily chime in. It is obvious you clearly have no idea about the 920 so if you have any interest, I will do my best to help you out.
I hope for microsoft's sake that WP8 at least goes somewhere. I don't really think windows is going to stick around much longer as dominant as it was over the last decade, and that is coming from somebody who exclusively uses windows 8.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:45 PM   #250
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I hope for microsoft's sake that WP8 at least goes somewhere. I don't really think windows is going to stick around much longer as dominant as it was over the last decade, and that is coming from somebody who exclusively uses windows 8.
The initial numbers seem solid, if not spectacular.

There is simply not the buzz you get, for example, for an aging dinosaur like iOS. But word of mouth is also important and it's been pretty solid.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:35 PM   #251
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Quote:
The initial numbers seem solid, if not spectacular.

There is simply not the buzz you get, for example, for an aging dinosaur like iOS. But word of mouth is also important and it's been pretty solid.
The thing is, a platform can NOT survive on its own, partnerships are required in order to establish broad industry support. Microsoft over the last decade has more or less told its partners that it is going to do its own thing, especially with the surface tablet. For this reason and others, Balmer has been getting a ton of flak for Microsoft's declining market shares across all of its markets over the last decade, many even calling him the worst CEO of all time. Steve Sinofsky is a big part of that, he was fired because his vision for windows has basically ruined the company's momentum.

Nokia is kind of this weird exception because Microsoft gave them a billion dollars to ensure that they'd stay away from android. They basically bought them out without actually doing so. That billion dollars wasn't free as Nokia has lost a lot of market share. Neither Nokia nor Microsoft release any sales figures, but data mining firms have found that their PR claims don't live up to reality. You hear the words "sold out" and "X millions sold" but that doesn't really tell you much, and in fact they really aren't selling that well:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...ays-pac-crest/

The same is true of windows 8:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-sales-figures

Sort of off topic, but the guy who developed the original xbox (don't recall his name) actually developed a separate touch OS and tablet for microsoft years before the ipad, which actually looked pretty neat, but Sinofsky thumbed his nose at it and had Balmer throw it out because he wanted it to be all windows (and as I'm sure many agree, desktop windows is NOT a good touch OS.) Microsoft realized that too late, which cost them dearly, so now we end up with metro, which survey says most consumers really don't like. When you hear about apple suing for rounded corners, there's good reason: your brain actually prefers rounded objects over sharp ones when it comes to feeling "comfort". Your brain also doesn't like information overload so it is easier on you when there is space between objects. Metro ignores both of these realities.

Last edited by Rakeesh : Jan 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 AM   #252
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
The thing is, a platform can NOT survive on its own, partnerships are required in order to establish broad industry support. Microsoft over the last decade has more or less told its partners that it is going to do its own thing, especially with the surface tablet.
Microsoft has come up with a number of amazing concepts over the years and finally we are seeing some of those items come to market. The idea of convergence has been bandied around since the days of Bill Gates. The implementation has been rough, especially with the move between WP7 and WP8. Hopefully the platform has now been finalized to the point where development will be easier.

Quote:
Nokia is kind of this weird exception because Microsoft gave them a billion dollars to ensure that they'd stay away from android. They basically bought them out without actually doing so. That billion dollars wasn't free as Nokia has lost a lot of market share. Neither Nokia nor Microsoft release any sales figures, but data mining firms have found that their PR claims don't live up to reality. You hear the words "sold out" and "X millions sold" but that doesn't really tell you much, and in fact they really aren't selling that well:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...ays-pac-crest/
Nokia returned to profit based on the sales on the 920. I went to 3 different stores before getting my phone, and every chat I had with the folks there in future visits (to pick up my wireless charger) indicated that sales were indeed very good.

Numbers shared by the carriers in the US indicate those sales have also been pretty decent, compared to expectations. It'll be a while before we see whether the strategy has paid off or not. With the massive vested interest in the iPhone, almost all buildings I walk into have 30-40% or so of the display space dedicated to that product, and accessories.

Quote:
The same is true of windows 8:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-sales-figures
The sales haven't been terrible. They haven't been stellar either. As the interface is understood, people will warm up, either to 8, or whatever comes after.

Quote:
(and as I'm sure many agree, desktop windows is NOT a good touch OS.) Microsoft realized that too late, which cost them dearly, so now we end up with metro, which survey says most consumers really don't like. When you hear about apple suing for rounded corners, there's good reason: your brain actually prefers rounded objects over sharp ones when it comes to feeling "comfort". Your brain also doesn't like information overload so it is easier on you when there is space between objects. Metro ignores both of these realities.
People don't like change. It takes them a while to warm up to it. The OS was designed based on in-depth usability studies.

What we prefer in today's world is easy consumption of information. The live tiles provide that. and there is plenty of space between the apps.

Every time I unlock my phone, I have new information. It stays fresh, it feels fresh, and it is always different and new. You don't get that with iOS. That information and ease of use made the transition from my previous devices a lot easier and, given that Android has been doing much the same for a while with it's widgets, is the direction things will be going to in the future.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:31 AM   #253
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Quote:
People don't like change. It takes them a while to warm up to it. The OS was designed based on in-depth usability studies.

What we prefer in today's world is easy consumption of information. The live tiles provide that. and there is plenty of space between the apps.

Every time I unlock my phone, I have new information. It stays fresh, it feels fresh, and it is always different and new. You don't get that with iOS. That information and ease of use made the transition from my previous devices a lot easier and, given that Android has been doing much the same for a while with it's widgets, is the direction things will be going to in the future.
Except in this case you aren't asking people to simply get used to a new UI. Forget aesthetics. What you're asking them to do is go against what is ergonomically comfortable.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 AM   #254
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Except in this case you aren't asking people to simply get used to a new UI. Forget aesthetics. What you're asking them to do is go against what is ergonomically comfortable.
/me shrugs

I have yet to see a single review that said "huh, no rounded corners, it sucks". On the contrary, there has been widespread approval of the UI. And it is ergonomically a heck of a lot more comfortable than static icons in a bunch of screens.