Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:35 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I was really excited for this phone and I love the look, but I fee like it's uncomfortable to hold. The 8X on the otherhand heels amazing in hand, but the buttons are so flush it's annoying to push them.
It is definitely harder to hold and operate solely with one hand. From my experience, the tapered edges of the HTC make it a bit easier to hold with one hand, and the screen is a little smaller.

I purchased a bumper case so my phone is a little wider than normal.

Did you end up getting the 8x? Let me know your thoughts
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:22 PM   #92
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
It is definitely harder to hold and operate solely with one hand. From my experience, the tapered edges of the HTC make it a bit easier to hold with one hand, and the screen is a little smaller.

I purchased a bumper case so my phone is a little wider than normal.

Did you end up getting the 8x? Let me know your thoughts
My upgrade isn't until February unfortunately. I played around with the 8x for about 30 minutes today comparing it to my trophy. Obviously it destroys it in pretty much every way. I just hate how flush the buttons on it are. Made it difficult to just unlock the phone, but it feels AMAZING in hand.

It's probably gonna be a toss up between the 8x, GN2, and Droid DNA/DLX come February as I'm on the big V.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:55 PM   #93
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I can see all the activity and when I jump in, everything is aggregated nicely and cleanly (and I can filter FB, Twitter and other social media very easily).

Has nothing to do with syncing to the cloud. Though, Skydrive is now seamless and when I plugged the phone to my Win 8 notebook, BOOM, had plenty more options than just looking at pictures.

More to discover, but so far, so good. The screen is really gorgeous, but it is apparent in some areas that there were some short-cuts made with regards to getting WP8 out at the same time as Windows 8.

The lack of a notifications center is jarring, but fortunately the live tiles (and simple notifications) alleviates at least some of that concern.
Ah I see. I thought you were experiencing synching problems with your old phone.

Again, enjoy your new phone Sazar
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:15 PM   #94
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

I hope Virgin Mobile will offer W8 Nokia phones in two years or so.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:23 PM   #95
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
My upgrade isn't until February unfortunately. I played around with the 8x for about 30 minutes today comparing it to my trophy. Obviously it destroys it in pretty much every way. I just hate how flush the buttons on it are. Made it difficult to just unlock the phone, but it feels AMAZING in hand.

It's probably gonna be a toss up between the 8x, GN2, and Droid DNA/DLX come February as I'm on the big V.
One thing to keep in mind, the stock Nokia apps are superior to the HTC apps, especially the music and navigation.

I was annoyed due to what I perceived to be a lack of apps. There was no Sype and several other apps. Well, today there are

I downloaded tapatalk (3'rd part app that links to it), Skype, Netflix and a whole host of others.

The bumper cover is making the phone just a little too large for me, I need a new cover, or will have to go without cover I reckon

No Pandora or Cloud Player for Amazon still (expected end of year or early next year), but I'll be able to make do with Nokia Music till then I think.

One thing I did notice is that many games and apps that were originally designed for WP7/7.5 have not been updated to take advantage of the resolution of the new phones. Angry Birds, for example, plays smooth as butter but is definitely a lower resolution than native. I expect these things to be fixed shortly. I have had 8 apps update over the past 24 hrs and am sure this will continue.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #96
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Droid DNA looks impressive enough for me to change carriers lol. Just concerned about battery.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:21 PM   #97
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind, the stock Nokia apps are superior to the HTC apps, especially the music and navigation.

I was annoyed due to what I perceived to be a lack of apps. There was no Sype and several other apps. Well, today there are

I downloaded tapatalk (3'rd part app that links to it), Skype, Netflix and a whole host of others.

The bumper cover is making the phone just a little too large for me, I need a new cover, or will have to go without cover I reckon

No Pandora or Cloud Player for Amazon still (expected end of year or early next year), but I'll be able to make do with Nokia Music till then I think.

One thing I did notice is that many games and apps that were originally designed for WP7/7.5 have not been updated to take advantage of the resolution of the new phones. Angry Birds, for example, plays smooth as butter but is definitely a lower resolution than native. I expect these things to be fixed shortly. I have had 8 apps update over the past 24 hrs and am sure this will continue.

Great info man! It definitely sounds like MSFT is attacking the app store content issue like they claim they would. Good to see!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:10 PM   #98
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Great info man! It definitely sounds like MSFT is attacking the app store content issue like they claim they would. Good to see!
Yah, don't get me wrong, many apps are from the WP7 days and definitely need updating (facebooks native app and Netflix, they work but they are about 2 generations behind), but so many other things work. I don't even touch the twitter and FB apps because of the people hub. Much easier to catch up there.

The iOS app store is still better in many respects, but Microsoft have definitely stepped up from the WP7 days. And again, the phone itself is worth it. Wish it was a little narrower (or had better case options), but the whole day at work, folks came over and were shocked at the NFC charging stand.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:09 PM   #99
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Lumia 920 polycarbonate scratch test:

Fares amazingly well by the looks of it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:32 PM   #100
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Seems like Verizon is now carrying it under the name WIndown Phone 8x. Wonder what the differences are. And why the name change.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:45 PM   #101
Mr_Skinny
Meh

Mr_Skinny is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Seems like Verizon is now carrying it under the name WIndown Phone 8x. Wonder what the differences are. And why the name change.
The 8x is the HTC phone.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:16 PM   #102
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Yea Verizon has Lumia 822 and T-Mobile has Lumia 810, they are all pretty much Lumia 820, but packed differently. HTC Windows Phone 8x has better screen, but with Lumia 822 and 810 you get the extra Nokia applications and a microSD slot. Some might even consider Nokia screen better as on those phones they are Amoled with deep blacks.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/n...mobile-review/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/p...s-phone-today/
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:39 PM   #103
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
HTC 8x is a different phone, but still flag-ship class.

It has a slightly lower resolution and a lower res camera (minor differences).

The sides are tapered so it feels better in the hand and easier to hold for some folks.

Also, screen is not like the Lumia where you can control it without touching with skin.

Last edited by Sazar : Nov 15, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:10 PM   #104
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Got one a few hours ago. It's VERY snappy (much more than my droids which always seem to lag in the OS). Ran a game of sonic cd and the touch responce seems waayyyy better than my andrid/iphone phones. Quite satisfied.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:22 PM   #105
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick View Post
Got one a few hours ago. It's VERY snappy (much more than my droids which always seem to lag in the OS). Ran a game of sonic cd and the touch responce seems waayyyy better than my andrid/iphone phones. Quite satisfied.
None of your Droids Jelly Bean? Or even ICS with a dual core?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:25 PM   #106
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
There is a fluidity to the 920 I haven't seen in any other phone yet.

I remember when the 900 came out and I tried it out and I was very impressed. Think that level of buttery smoothness, but even more so.

ICS is awesome, don't get me wrong. But WP8 is really something when it comes to maintaining that smoothness. Even iOS jiggers sometimes in transitions.

WP8 isn't 100% smooth all the time, but it is definitely incredibly fluid.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:31 PM   #107
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Yea. I have a jelly bean transformer TF300 and it got nothing on the 920.

I like the fact that to make a custom ringtone i just opened the device in windows, dragged it into the folder and it auto converted the file for me without any extra steps.

Last edited by clerick : Nov 15, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:26 AM   #108
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

This guy is hilarious :P I think I'm going to get Lumia 920 myself as it finally has a camera that can take good quality pics indoors and not just in the sunlight.

Last edited by painkiller : Nov 17, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:41 PM   #109
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Decided on dropping the hammer on this. Ordered the Lumia 920. I decided against the HTC 8x because while I liked the feel of the phone better, I didn't like the aspect ratio. I'm ready for a wider phone (currently have an iPhone 3GS).

The difference between the 3GS and the 920 is stunning. Comparing the two was basically like holding a Packard Bell running Windows 3.1 next to a system with an i7 running Windows 8. I had IE loaded with a desktop view of CNET and clicked a link (which also finished loading) before my 3GS with iOS6 could even fully bring up Safari in general. The sophistication of WP8 and it's fluidity made iOS look like tech preschool for your grand parents.

The weight is a non-issue. A 3GS with a case felt very similar in weight to the Lumia 920. WP8 has all the apps I currently use. Can't wait for it to arrive. Should be Tuesday. Credit to Sazar, his postings on it motivated me to go out and look at one and it's spot on. MSFT and Nokia have a winner with this one. Their hurdle will be the overall app numbers cliché and the marketing to get this phone in front of people.

Edit: FWIW, as an FYI, I had to wait in line to test the 920. The iPhone stand was empty and 2 people were looking at 8 different Androids on display. The people in line just surfed on the phones they already had.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #110
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Decided on dropping the hammer on this. Ordered the Lumia 920. I decided against the HTC 8x because while I liked the feel of the phone better, I didn't like the aspect ratio. I'm ready for a wider phone (currently have an iPhone 3GS).

The difference between the 3GS and the 920 is stunning. Comparing the two was basically like holding a Packard Bell running Windows 3.1 next to a system with an i7 running Windows 8. I had IE loaded with a desktop view of CNET and clicked a link (which also finished loading) before my 3GS with iOS6 could even fully bring up Safari in general. The sophistication of WP8 and it's fluidity made iOS look like tech preschool for your grand parents.

The weight is a non-issue. A 3GS with a case felt very similar in weight to the Lumia 920. WP8 has all the apps I currently use. Can't wait for it to arrive. Should be Tuesday. Credit to Sazar, his postings on it motivated me to go out and look at one and it's spot on. MSFT and Nokia have a winner with this one. Their hurdle will be the overall app numbers cliché and the marketing to get this phone in front of people.

Edit: FWIW, as an FYI, I had to wait in line to test the 920. The iPhone stand was empty and 2 people were looking at 8 different Androids on display. The people in line just surfed on the phones they already had.
What color did you end up getting?

And thanks for the kudos I try to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to tech, but am only human

Noticed a new thing yesterday, and I'll add to my WP8 tips and tricks thing. Had my phone connected via bluetooth to my mini boombox. Got a text from my buddy to come grab a bite with a couple of other friends, while I was working on a new pivot table.

And... I completely missed the text alert. However, the damn phone alerted me by saying "text from <insert name here> would you like to respond". Had the shock of my life coz I wasn't expecting another voice. But, it's pretty cool. Not only do you get the voice alerts, but the phone does a pretty decent job of responding using voice as well. And it was unprompted. I don't recall this being an option on my iPhone 4, but am sure many of the newer Androids and iPhone 5 type devices have it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:25 AM   #111
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

I had to go for the black one

I could see myself dropping the glossy ones more often, especially in winter time. Being able to use the phone with gloves on was also a pretty big selling point for me, being in the north.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:30 AM   #112
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I had to go for the black one

I could see myself dropping the glossy ones more often, especially in winter time. Being able to use the phone with gloves on was also a pretty big selling point for me, being in the north.
I went back and forth between the matte and the glossy. I ended up with the glossy because it seems to "stick" in the hand better.

Had they had a cyan version, I would have been all over it But alas

I am going without a case for now, cases make the phone a little too big for me.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:20 AM   #113
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So this the best phone out or wha? Better than Samsung stuff?

What up?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:25 AM   #114
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
So this the best phone out or wha? Better than Samsung stuff?

What up?
For Windows Phone 8, I think it is. The HTC phone is also quite good, I just preferred the button layout, camera and screen of the Nokia (plus the navigation app).

Samsung's WP8 phone is not currently in stores so unfortunately I cannot compare to it, but it's supposed to be pretty decent.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:24 AM   #115
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
For Windows Phone 8, I think it is. The HTC phone is also quite good, I just preferred the button layout, camera and screen of the Nokia (plus the navigation app).

Samsung's WP8 phone is not currently in stores so unfortunately I cannot compare to it, but it's supposed to be pretty decent.
What about the Note 2 and S3? Are they better or this Lumina?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #116
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
What about the Note 2 and S3? Are they better or this Lumina?
They are android devices so not easy to do a direct comparison. All 3 are excellent devices. The Note 2 is more of a mini tablet, but still quite excellent and the GS3's sales figures show how good that device is.

The Nokia 920 is excellent in it's own right and it has been selling extremely well.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #117
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
They are android devices so not easy to do a direct comparison. All 3 are excellent devices. The Note 2 is more of a mini tablet, but still quite excellent and the GS3's sales figures show how good that device is.

The Nokia 920 is excellent in it's own right and it has been selling extremely well.
So, I should buy all 3 then?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:33 PM   #118
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
So, I should buy all 3 then?
Yes, so we can follow along on your regret thread about it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:01 PM   #119
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Grabbed myself a white one today. Liking it so far.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:14 PM   #120
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Apparently UPS just dropped mine off about 30 minutes ago. I had to order it online... as I can't exactly prove why I should be getting 25% reduction on my bill anymore...