Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Thanks, that is a long wait.

Well, you could always use skydrive as a last resort, but that memory thing is daft, definitely.
Everyone who signs up for skydrive gets 7gb of space so that doesnt really technically count. I did some music streaming from it, and its far faster to load/switch music tracks onboard than it is on cloud.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:47 PM   #62
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So apparently theres some Lumia 920's out in the wild in Canada. I do admit its wierd to see Canada of all places get first dibs on the Lumia 920 lol.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:58 PM   #63
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
So apparently theres some Lumia 920's out in the wild in Canada. I do admit its wierd to see Canada of all places get first dibs on the Lumia 920 lol.
I heard they are coming nov 13 with rogers?
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:47 AM   #64
Mr_Skinny
Meh

Mr_Skinny is still being judged by the masses

Ordered mine yesterday, not sure when it's due to arrive though.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:35 PM   #65
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/n...ia-920-review/

That very first picture looks super cluttered... Way too busy.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:47 PM   #66
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

what the grid of icons (well this case its tiles) is bad now?

The second tile is the double wide people tile. And the people tile is always flipping between contact avatar pictures. So its doing that across the entire length of the people tile....thats why it looks so busy. (cuz its always doing a 3x3 image flip on the regular sized tile, so its now a 3x6 on the double wide). Then its another 2 rows of 'grid of 4 tiles' that is somewhat standard in the other OS's. Then a double widepicture tile (this ones always scrolling between pictures found in the album)

the "grid of tiles" doesnt really work here just cuz theres no real background picture its in front of (i still dunno why they dont allow it.... i'd rather a picture in the background insead of black or white)
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:00 PM   #67
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
what the grid of icons (well this case its tiles) is bad now?

The second tile is the double wide people tile. And the people tile is always flipping between contact avatar pictures. So its doing that across the entire length of the people tile....thats why it looks so busy. (cuz its always doing a 3x3 image flip on the regular sized tile, so its now a 3x6 on the double wide). Then its another 2 rows of 'grid of 4 tiles' that is somewhat standard in the other OS's. Then a double widepicture tile (this ones always scrolling between pictures found in the album)

the "grid of tiles" doesnt really work here just cuz theres no real background picture its in front of (i still dunno why they dont allow it.... i'd rather a picture in the background insead of black or white)
Active might be a better word than busy, it looks way too active.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:05 PM   #68
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, the combo of the double wide people tile and the two rows of smallest tiles doesn't look great, but it's just how the user had made it. I was waiting for the 920, however it seems the camera is slightly disappointing in full light (low light and video looks to be amazing tough) and the 8x is $180 cheaper here so I went for it instead.

Last edited by fryjs : Nov 2, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
fryjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:09 PM   #69
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

You can re-size the icons.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:24 PM   #70
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
You can re-size the icons.
I'm well aware of that, but the smaller tiles and the fact the screen is just filled to the brim with squares and rectangles of various sizes, it just doesn't look good.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:54 PM   #71
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I'm well aware of that, but the smaller tiles and the fact the screen is just filled to the brim with squares and rectangles of various sizes, it just doesn't look good.
To each their own

I prefer the layout because it makes it a lot easier to see what's what and for the more important items, sizing them so that live content is flowing constantly, that's what it's all about
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #72
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Apparently going to be out on Friday, with the wireless charger, for $100

I think I'm going to bite.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:47 PM   #73
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

careful though, its apparently so damn big and heavy you can dent the floor if you drop it.......
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:56 PM   #74
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
careful though, its apparently so damn big and heavy you can dent the floor if you drop it.......
Here's my response to that.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:27 AM   #75
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Even though I don't like the look of the tiles much I'm willing to forgive that as they are keeping it consistent across the board + they are really easy to manage that way and gives more room for additional info the tiles push out.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:41 AM   #76
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Here's my response to that.

Agreed, what does it weight? Almost half a pound? Is that really too heavy for people now-a-days? Woof.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #77
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Agreed, what does it weight? Almost half a pound? Is that really too heavy for people now-a-days? Woof.
185g

Most smartphones are between 120-140g.
So its heavy when compared to them.

The flip side is after handling a heavy phone for awhile (i used to have an Optimus 7, and that was 160g) everything else feels too damn light lol.

but all the reviewers make it sound like 120-140g is the heaviest acceptable for a smartphone and anything higher feels like a 5lb dumbbell.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:13 PM   #78
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

They don't seem to have it anywhere at the moment except for pre-order

Will stop in the store tomorrow to see what I can find out. The website should update tonight.

-edit-

Just called my closest store, they should have some tomorrow.

Last edited by Sazar : Nov 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:06 PM   #79
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I haven't used a case with my 900 and it still looks new. I bet when you add a case to other phones the difference in weight and size is not as big as you would think.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:04 PM   #80
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
I haven't used a case with my 900 and it still looks new. I bet when you add a case to other phones the difference in weight and size is not as big as you would think.
an otterbox case on an iphone makes it thicker than a lumia.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:02 AM   #81
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
They don't seem to have it anywhere at the moment except for pre-order

Will stop in the store tomorrow to see what I can find out. The website should update tonight.

-edit-

Just called my closest store, they should have some tomorrow.

Post a review when you can! I'm still on the fence as to which WP8 to get or wait and see on that Odyssey.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:13 PM   #82
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Phone purchased today.

Ended up with the white one. Didn't want to wait for the cyan and after playing with the slick (white) and matte (black) devices, the white one seemed to feel better in the hand.

I'll post more details later but for now:

- AMAZING screen
- Device is barely the right size for my hands (and I don't have large hands)
- It is FAST
- The screen is usable through gloves, but I wasn't able to get it working with all inanimate objects.

I am in the process of setting it up the way I want (since it is so different from my old iPhone, it'll be a day or two before I feel comfortable).

But, definitely a massive upgrade. Getting all my contacts to sync and to have them visible, such a load off my mind Love it.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:15 PM   #83
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Is it all wireless or do you need an intermediary like Zune for syncing stuff?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:21 PM   #84
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
So, as far as I can see, you can do OTA stuff, but I haven't synched yet. However, I have a Windows account and a lot of my stuff was moved over. All my contacts/emails and all that jazz was synched without issues.

My contacts were moved over in-store, so fortunately that was easy and, soon as I linked my twitter and facebook accounts in my "people" app, all images were automatically downloaded, linked and are displaying.

I am very happy so far

Currently downloading maps on the Nokia drive app. Btw, first LTE device for me. I can't believe how ****ing retarded Apple was by locking it's users out for so long. Innovation my ass.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:29 PM   #85
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I believe they did away with zune for syncing (I f***ing hate zune sync....but i hate itunes even more.....)

Its got drag and drop ability in windows explorer too i think.

Oh and Sazar, how much lbs of muscle have you gained?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:29 PM   #86
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Getting all my contacts to sync and to have them visible, such a load off my mind Love it.
What do you mean by that? How is it different from syncing with iCloud?

Enjoy your new phone!
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #87
bacon
1/2" shy boss

bacon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultybacon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Looking forward to seeing what these new phones are like. Love my htc 7.5 windows phone, and its getting time for an upgrade.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:51 PM   #88
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
What do you mean by that? How is it different from syncing with iCloud?

Enjoy your new phone!
I can see all the activity and when I jump in, everything is aggregated nicely and cleanly (and I can filter FB, Twitter and other social media very easily).

Has nothing to do with syncing to the cloud. Though, Skydrive is now seamless and when I plugged the phone to my Win 8 notebook, BOOM, had plenty more options than just looking at pictures.

More to discover, but so far, so good. The screen is really gorgeous, but it is apparent in some areas that there were some short-cuts made with regards to getting WP8 out at the same time as Windows 8.

The lack of a notifications center is jarring, but fortunately the live tiles (and simple notifications) alleviates at least some of that concern.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:02 PM   #89
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I believe they did away with zune for syncing (I f***ing hate zune sync....but i hate itunes even more.....)

Its got drag and drop ability in windows explorer too i think.

Oh and Sazar, how much lbs of muscle have you gained?
I am getting ready to compete at the mr Olympia competition for 2013

The phone is definitely not small by any means. That being said, it is not significantly different in terms of screen navigation from an iPhone 5. I spent a half hour playing with both devices while waiting at the ATT store and while the iPhone 5 is definitely narrower, it didn't seem that much easier to navigate on. I preferred the extra real-estate on the screen.

-edit-

Well, apparently when I connected my phone, a Windows Phone 8 app automatically showed up and when I click on it, I can navigate and do whatever. Much simpler and cleaner than iTunes for navigation, but searching for apps launches IE10, so there is that.

Last edited by Sazar : Nov 11, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:05 PM   #90
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

I was really excited for this phone and I love the look, but I fee like it's uncomfortable to hold. The 8X on the otherhand heels amazing in hand, but the buttons are so flush it's annoying to push them.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote