Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default The Nokia Lumia 900: A good phone at a great price that you probably shouldn't buy

The Nokia Lumia 900: A good phone at a great price that you probably shouldn't buy

My WP7 phone suffers from the keyboard bug they speak of. Sprint isn't doing anything to fix the bug either, despite the fact that an update is available that fixes the exact problem.

It's the one thing I'm certainly envious of from the Apple side of things. I love getting the latest updates and staying current.

As far as whether my phone will support WP8 is unclear to me also. I was fairly early in the WP7 camp. So I'd be ready to switch when WP8 becomes available. Except for the fact that Sprint has done nothing to get any newer phones on their network. They still only have one choice after all this time. All their efforts go into supporting Android and Apple, neither of which I'd ever own. So I maybe forced to go to another carrier and pay more to get less in terms of having a data capped crippled phone.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Interesting, I bought my wife a Lumia 800 last week, and one of the updates I got through Zune specifically said it fixes that issue. Following the update she didn't have any issues with the keyboard.
Anyway, the Lumia 800 is an astonishing phone. Absolutely perfect build quality, extraordinary screen, good camera, perfectly fast and fluid, and free maps from Nokia, too.

Seriously, I would buy one in a heartbeat for myself if i wasn't the kind of guy who likes to tweak and modify and do stuff with his phone.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I feel ya.
My optimus 7 has been going on and off deciding to muck up some days and then go back to normal others. Being halfway through my contract its too damn expensive to get another phone, i dont want a refurb in case this issue crops up again (internet scouring has show lots of similar issues with LG smartphones in general) and i dont want to extend my contract just to upgrade to another phone (especially since new phones are on the horizon).

I was actually considering a lumia 710 because its so damn cheap off contract (like 250 bux) just so i dont have to deal with this LG reboot/freeze garbage thats been happening lately.

At least my carrier is showing signs of support. they only have the lumia 800 now and they havent been super fast with the updates but they keep up to date. Im on the current build that fixes the keyboard disappearing problem

WP7 just isnt picking up steam fast enough, and MS is just dragging their feet at their own slow pace. Who knows if WP8 will change that. But then again they had an uphill battle right from the get go with missing features on release and outdated hardware before release......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 9, 2012, 03:20 PM   #4
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
The Nokia Lumia 900: A good phone at a great price that you probably shouldn't buy

My WP7 phone suffers from the keyboard bug they speak of. Sprint isn't doing anything to fix the bug either, despite the fact that an update is available that fixes the exact problem.

It's the one thing I'm certainly envious of from the Apple side of things. I love getting the latest updates and staying current.

As far as whether my phone will support WP8 is unclear to me also. I was fairly early in the WP7 camp. So I'd be ready to switch when WP8 becomes available. Except for the fact that Sprint has done nothing to get any newer phones on their network. They still only have one choice after all this time. All their efforts go into supporting Android and Apple, neither of which I'd ever own. So I maybe forced to go to another carrier and pay more to get less in terms of having a data capped crippled phone.
From the Sprint side there's nothing directly on our end preventing HTC from doing the development work to bring us an update for certification testing. The OS partner needs to incorporate the updates to the device SW and brings it to the carrier for certification, but until that happens the carrier can ask and beg but won't necessarily get a firm commitment to do this work. It's not the carrier that does the SW development, that's a resource expenditure on the part of the handset OEM.

Same thing with building a marketing plan to introduce a new handset based on WP7. The carrier can request/require a purchasing order be built around a new product in the WP7 lineup, but so far it's likely easier to build the case around Android/iOS devices than it is WP7 based on current % market penetration. Not to say it won't happen, but when you're spending X amount of $$$ it can sometimes be a question of where that money is better spent, on another iPhone or another WP7 phone assuming the cost is roughly equivalent for each.

It's definitely more difficult to get the investment into CDMA (both Sprint and Verizon) devices for WP7. I do agree though I'd like to see WP7 be more successful as a platform.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I don't trust Windows on a handheld.

I have an awesome Dell Axim with Windows Mobile 2003. Dell and Windows pretty much said screw it a few years later. It was a rare app that catered to the OS. Only Opera sent me some love and released Opera Mini 5 specifically for WM2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There is rumor of an LG device coming to sprint but the ultimate problem is that David Owens likes to talk out of his ass so can really say what is going to happen.

As for Apollo there isn't any technical reason why it won't be pushed to current devices. The tales of rumor "of signs it wont happen" are all BS that was derived from an interview with Terry Myerson that was taken out of context and spread like wildfire. IIRC the "source" most people are using is paul thurrott and he is nothing more than a troll.

The keyboard issue is interesting. If you want 8107 on your device you can push it yourself through the cab files but there are a few rare reports of it still happening. Tango isn't far off though so I imagine this will be rolled into it per the update agreement microsoft has.

That article is nonsense though. This isn't Android. Carriers are contractually obligated to push major updates. They can choose to skip minor/maint releases if they want but they are rolled into the next update that is pushed. Also, many people cant comprehend the fact that microsoft will not speak to unannounced updates due to the Mango shenanigans.

-EDIT- Take a look at the comments on that Article. You'll see what I mean.

-EDIT- FWIW ms_nerd has had a pretty good track record. Here is what he has said on Apollo: http://www.windowsphonedaily.com/201...l-windows.html

Quote:
WP7 just isnt picking up steam fast enough, and MS is just dragging their feet at their own slow pace. Who knows if WP8 will change that. But then again they had an uphill battle right from the get go with missing features on release and outdated hardware before release......
WP7 is picking up steam just fine. MSFT just recently told developers that app submissions were coming in so fast that there would be a delay getting them published to the marketplace. People would agree to a point on the missing features but it hasn't been awful by any means but that whole point is silly.. I mean look at the iPhone you still cant even attach files from an email and there have been two lawsuits thrown at it (one over the antenna and one over siri). As for the hardware what you might call outdated Microsoft calls not throwing pointless hardware into a device until they can do it in such a way that it doesn't totally fubar battery life but Apollo will fix the hardware concerns. Its a major point for it existing.

Last edited by Canesfan2020 : Apr 9, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Issue blown out of proportion and recommending NOT to buy a 900 based on that alone?

Fix is there, will be rolled out.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It has already been rolled out, for my wife's Nokia, at least.

Regarding the "I don't trust windows comment" above, just try it if you get the chance. It's really quite great.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I don't trust Windows on a handheld.

I have an awesome Dell Axim with Windows Mobile 2003. Dell and Windows pretty much said screw it a few years later. It was a rare app that catered to the OS. Only Opera sent me some love and released Opera Mini 5 specifically for WM2003.
Stop living in the past. WinMo != Windows Phone.

I gave up my Axim x51v 7 years ago, time to move on bruh.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:40 PM   #10
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

my brother has this phone. he says it is even faster than IOS device .

WP os is great.. but lacking in apps
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I seem to recall another little palm sized OS that could that ran smoothly on lower end hardware. In the long run it didn't do to well. No matter how good the 900 is, I just don't see a phone with those specs attracting enough attention to get real traction for the OS. Sad but IMO true.

Even more importantly, where is Windows 8 going to leave Windows Phone 7 users?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
my brother has this phone. he says it is even faster than IOS device .

WP os is great.. but lacking in apps
ITs a catch 22 situation. Devs dont want to support it cuz it still has a small market share. People dont want it cuz it dont got the apps. And apps attract people....but the big name ones are doing a wait and see approach......

so whos fault is it?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
ITs a catch 22 situation. Devs dont want to support it cuz it still has a small market share. People dont want it cuz it dont got the apps. And apps attract people....but the big name ones are doing a wait and see approach......

so whos fault is it?
Oddly enough WP7 developer interest has jumped the same amount that Android interest has fallen.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canesfan2020 View Post
Oddly enough WP7 developer interest has jumped the same amount that Android interest has fallen.
They do have alot of apps (over 70,000 now), but they dont have alot of the big name popular ones, or the flavor of the month ones.

And by the time they do get it its old, outdated, and no one cares about those apps anymore.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:35 AM   #15
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

It can be as nice as it wants, but the WP market is limited and it will never sell in the numbers that you see the Droid or iPhone line sell.

Could fit a nice nitch though, but is there profit in a nitch?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:14 AM   #16
Zero
Sass hole

n-i-c-h-e

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:41 AM   #17
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
It can be as nice as it wants, but the WP market is limited and it will never sell in the numbers that you see the Droid or iPhone line sell.

Who can say? iSuppli, Gartner, and IDC all seem to think that it will catch iOS by 2015. The market share is moving up and we know that developer interest growth correlates to the decline in Android developer interest by 10% both ways. So I guess like it or not it is picking up. Carriers have been seeing a need for a 3rd option for a bit now anyway. The Lumia 900 has been making waves. AT&T says its exceeding expectations. Do you really think it will be ignored?

Last edited by Canesfan2020 : Apr 13, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:45 PM   #18
xxJACKxx
Radeon R420

xxJACKxx is still being judged by the masses

I bought one of these during the pre-order and have had it over a week. I have had issues with battery life but the update fixed it. No, it doesn't have as many apps as Android and iPhone but I have found all of the ones I wanted. Thu build quality is far better than any other phone I have handled and I can say from experience that there is no reason not to buy one, unless it is just not what you want. If you prefer something else by all means get that, but there is nothing wrong wtih this one to disqualify it if you are interested.
xxJACKxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have the Nokia 710 and so far my only complaint is the inability to change message tones to something that lasts longer then a ding. I really need this for oncall purposes unfortunately.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Deadem
Radeon R200

Deadem is still being judged by the masses

I also have a Lumia 900 and it is a very good phone. Can't wait for WP8 needed a change from my countless Android phones. It stop me from tinkering with roms also a big time waister. I do miss the free wifi hotspot features with my rooted Android phones. No I am involved in all Ecosystems, I have a Galaxy Tab 7 plus, 3rd Gen Ipad and Nokia Lumia. I have all my bases covered.

One good thing about iOS and WP7 is that the apps will work with your device. It was fustrating to see that not all apps work with all Android phones. I had a Moto Droid and a HTC Thunderbolt.
Deadem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:15 AM   #21
chump
Rage3D Veteran

chump is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadem View Post
I also have a Lumia 900 and it is a very good phone. Can't wait for WP8 needed a change from my countless Android phones. It stop me from tinkering with roms also a big time waister. I do miss the free wifi hotspot features with my rooted Android phones. No I am involved in all Ecosystems, I have a Galaxy Tab 7 plus, 3rd Gen Ipad and Nokia Lumia. I have all my bases covered.

One good thing about iOS and WP7 is that the apps will work with your device. It was fustrating to see that not all apps work with all Android phones. I had a Moto Droid and a HTC Thunderbolt.
Best thing about the thunderbolt was taking the 32gb card out of it and sticking it in my EVO. Actually I pulled all the 32gb card out of all 4 and swapped them with 8gb. Workers don't need that much space for work. I use them for nice little usb drives.

"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, 'the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, and the fruits acquired by it.'"
-- Thomas Jefferson
chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post

I hope we remember this in the next year or two
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I hope we remember this in the next year or two
Don't be silly. Android sold like a beast out of the gate..
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:52 AM   #24
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Didn't take long for the price of this phone to drop. $49.99 for a New Line and $39.99 for Upgrade.

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
Didn't take long for the price of this phone to drop. $49.99 for a New Line and $39.99 for Upgrade.
They had it free for a bit because of the data bug or whatever that was brought up.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:01 AM   #26
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
And? Other devices do it too. The lumia has been selling just fine.

The money that carriers get up front for the device means nothing to them. They make their money on the 2k + a year we pay for our plans.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

I want a Lumia but i'll just wait for the WP8 phones.

Seems like from the 3 major players theres only 1 real reliable handset maker:

Iphone...well...thats obvious
WP7 = Nokia
Android = either Samsung or Motorola.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:51 PM   #28
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:

The money that carriers get up front for the device means nothing to them. They make their money on the 2k + a year we pay for our plans.
And nothing I was just pointing out that you can get the phone on the cheap

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #29
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:

Uh... it actually means quite a bit. The reason we NEED that monthly MRC for X months is driven quite a bit by the costs of subsidizing the units up front. The margins on the monthly MRC are usually rather slim, so that long term contract is an attempt to recoup the up-front outlay and then keep the servers going. If I recall correctly, it's usually around month 16 or 18 or something that we finally break even for some of our up front phone purchases.

Look at the iPhone subsidizing that happened when the 4S was launched. Spring sold in the first quarter of having the iPhone, 1.8M iPhones. The MSRP of the iPhone is $650 and it's being sold to the public at $200 which means Sprint ate the costs of $450 (ish) on every iPhone sold. That adds up fairly quickly.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:17 PM   #30
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Uh... it actually means quite a bit. The reason we NEED that monthly MRC for X months is driven quite a bit by the costs of subsidizing the units up front. The margins on the monthly MRC are usually rather slim, so that long term contract is an attempt to recoup the up-front outlay and then keep the servers going. If I recall correctly, it's usually around month 16 or 18 or something that we finally break even for some of our up front phone purchases.

Look at the iPhone subsidizing that happened when the 4S was launched. Spring sold in the first quarter of having the iPhone, 1.8M iPhones. The MSRP of the iPhone is $650 and it's being sold to the public at $200 which means Sprint ate the costs of $450 (ish) on every iPhone sold. That adds up fairly quickly.
Letting Apple rape you on subsidy payments isn't our problem though.. Which is also why carriers seem to be eager to get a 3rd platform going. Verizon reported growths in profit because of a decline in iPhone sales.

As for subsidizing, When can we expect to stop paying a fee for text messaging? Sprint integrated Google voice and LTE treats texts as data.

Last edited by Canesfan2020 : Apr 21, 2012 at 04:26 PM.