Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Oct 14, 2019, 04:45 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
UFO
Who's your buddy?

UFO is still being judged by the masses

I don't see the point really because it was probably not the graphics that made classic games great.

Classic games were made for the graphics available at that time and that also means that the designers used what was available to tweak the environment. For example several point lights to give a global illumination effect or shadow maps with low resolution making it look like soft shadows.

To shoehorn in a completely different rendering technique will just make the game look weird and not as the designer originally thought. It's like the problem with MIDI back in the day. The song sounded differently on different devices and you never knew what the composer originally intended.

I just see this as another way to make money, like Star Wars "remastered" (don't know how many times they have done that).
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:08 PM   #32
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That's the point: classic games had extraordinary gameplay but now may have the ability to play or replay them with extraordinary fidelity. Quake 2 and MineCraft are perfect illustrations on what may be possible.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:26 PM   #33
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I don't know that I'd consider Quake 2 to have extraordinary game play. I guess an argument can be made for the MP part of the game, but the SP was pretty bland, IMO. I'd say the biggest thing Quake and Quake 2 had going for them was cutting edge graphics.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:59 PM   #34
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Wonder what prompted them to embark on this endeavor?

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:08 AM   #35
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I don't know that I'd consider Quake 2 to have extraordinary game play. I guess an argument can be made for the MP part of the game, but the SP was pretty bland, IMO. I'd say the biggest thing Quake and Quake 2 had going for them was cutting edge graphics.
I do, the genre was still in its infancy and the Quake 2 tactics were raised quite a bit in sp and mp. Quake also was extraordinary for its time and Quake 2 raised the bar in virtually every way.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:41 AM   #36
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
Wonder what prompted them to embark on this endeavor?
That's a very good question. Going to speculate here: since Lightspeed Studios has experience remaking and remastering classic games for the tegra platforms; why not use their expertise for the rtx platform?

Content drives sales and makes customers happy to use cutting-edge technology and features with their choice. Rtx features for new titles and older remastered classics.

But why classics? I think Quake 2 was proof of concept to see how the market would react to the idea and believe the market reacted positively. Then MineCraft rtx news hit and more positive reaction from the market, it actually effected the share price noticeably.

It's just another way Nvidia can offer more rtx content and differentiate from competitors and build the rtx brand moniker.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 03:33 AM   #37
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

MOHAA, HL2, Doom3 please.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 07:32 AM   #38
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Yup, the Battlezone 1 & 2 remasters with RTX would be fantastic.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2019, 09:16 PM   #39
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
System Shock 2, Thief, Dead Space 1 please.
My top two absolute favorite games of all time are on your list. System Shock 2 and Thief. I miss looking glass studios. All three of those games would be phenomenal with RTX. I would have to take the plunge and upgrade my 1080ti if that happened.
Intel i7 7700k @ 5.0Ghz, ASUS Z270-Extreme4, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2, 16GB EVGA DDR4-3200 Ram, Asus VG278 120hz monitor x 3, Corsair Hydro H60 water cooler, Creative SoundBlaster ZX, 2 x 500gb Samsung Evo 960 M.2 SSD, OCZ ZT 750W PSU, Cooler Master Maker 5 Case, Windows 10
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #40
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

The area that may be daunting is on the legality, licenses and potential royalties that may incur from such dated titles?

Let's take System Shock 2; who or whom owns the code or publishing rights? Irrational Games or Looking Glass Studios or Electronic Arts?

What about adding RTX raytracing; are older DirectX iterations ported, emulated, wrapped to DirectX 12 or maybe Vulcan? How difficult is this?
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #41
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The system shock situation has been sorted out, Nightdive studios owns all the rights.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #42
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Thanks!

I wonder if Nvidia and NightDive can come to some agreement. System Shock 2 remastered with Rtx would be awesome.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Yesterday at 11:35 AM.
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #43
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Thanks!

I wonder if Nvidia and NightDive can come to some agreement. System Shock 2 remastered with Rtx would be awesome.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #44
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I know Quake 2 Rtx Vulcan offers Sli ability; I wonder if Nvidia's Lightspeed Studios would remaster these classics with Rtx Sli support.
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #45
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

The only worry I would have about this is nVidia purposely coding the Raytracing in a way that's locked to nVidia only. Not a problem now, but it could suck later if later cards no longer support however they do it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:30 PM   #46
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
The only worry I would have about this is nVidia purposely coding the Raytracing in a way that's locked to nVidia only. Not a problem now, but it could suck later if later cards no longer support however they do it.
If it's Vulcan then they're going to use NV ray tracing extensions which will only work with Nvidia cards, because there's no generic Vulcan ray tracing extension. AMD has their own ray tracing extensions also, so if they want to do the same, they are free to do so. Except of course they would need hardware powerful enough to run it which they don't currently have.

If they use DXR, then any card that supports DXR can run it. AMD does not have any DXR compatible cards at the moment. But when they do, DXR games like Metro Exodus will run just fine on them, not locked to Nvidia.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:33 PM   #47
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Nvidia add GameWorks' features as well to some of the remastered classics.