Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Computer Doesn't Always Start?

I upgraded my main PC recently, so I put the mobo, cpu, gpu and ram from that into an older computer as a little upgrade. Now I'm having the strangest issue where sometimes when I start the computer the red light on the mobo comes on and I get nothing on my monitor, I can't even get to the bios. If I cycle the power, sometimes several times, then eventually I get the computer to boot normally and it works 100% perfectly until I shut it down again. If I reset the computer I don't have the issue.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? My gut says it's an issue with the PSU, but then I don't get why it would work perfectly fine once it's up and running. Also, there was no issue until I moved the parts into this PC.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 02:53 PM   #2
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstew View Post
I upgraded my main PC recently, so I put the mobo, cpu, gpu and ram from that into an older computer as a little upgrade. Now I'm having the strangest issue where sometimes when I start the computer the red light on the mobo comes on and I get nothing on my monitor, I can't even get to the bios. If I cycle the power, sometimes several times, then eventually I get the computer to boot normally and it works 100% perfectly until I shut it down again. If I reset the computer I don't have the issue.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? My gut says it's an issue with the PSU, but then I don't get why it would work perfectly fine once it's up and running. Also, there was no issue until I moved the parts into this PC.
1. Power supply going out (start up issues it he most common sign)
2. Poorly seated memory. remove all memory, blow out, clean slots, re seat. Or it is a bad memory slot. The reason it works after recycling it over and over, it warms up the slots which cause them to expand and make better contact. No, you won't always get a beep code when this happens. If it was new memory, I would have said memory incompatibility.. but.. that is not the case here.
3. it could be grounding out in the case, which can cause all kinds of strange crap. Take motherboard out and place it on a static free mat of some sort, plug everything in, and see if it boots outside the case, and has no issues. IF it works as it should, something in the case is grounding out between the motherboard and the case.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Dec 23, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:19 PM   #3
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have the same problem with my X99 Sabertooth.

The computer sometimes boots cleanly (POST screen, W10 loading screen, W10 login screen), sometimes it doesn't show the POST screen, just the W10 loading screen and the W10 login screen, sometimes it doesn't show any image until W10 loads.

It's completely random, I've used the troubleshooting tools from Asus and sometimes it takes more time to load in the CPU, other times in the GPU, other times in the memory, etc.

I thought it was an issue with my CF R9-290X because I was getting the beep codes for a faulty video card, however, I changed the video cards to a GTX1080 over a year ago and the problem persists.

The computer is rock solid even with my 5930K overclocked to 4.7Ghz.

So, my solution was to remove the internal speaker
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Might be a ram compatibility issue which potentially could be fixed by updating the BIOS. You could try re-sit the components and confirm the cmos battery is good. Other than that it would probably be the PSU. If you has a spare PSU you could easily test to confirm.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 01:49 AM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If you computer is overclocked sometimes the bios craps out and doesn’t allow a boot.

Other times it can be a grounding issue.

Final issue of startup is either cpu or memory related in that they are not properly seated in their slots.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmchv View Post
I have the same problem with my X99 Sabertooth.

The computer sometimes boots cleanly (POST screen, W10 loading screen, W10 login screen), sometimes it doesn't show the POST screen, just the W10 loading screen and the W10 login screen, sometimes it doesn't show any image until W10 loads.

It's completely random, I've used the troubleshooting tools from Asus and sometimes it takes more time to load in the CPU, other times in the GPU, other times in the memory, etc.

I thought it was an issue with my CF R9-290X because I was getting the beep codes for a faulty video card, however, I changed the video cards to a GTX1080 over a year ago and the problem persists.

The computer is rock solid even with my 5930K overclocked to 4.7Ghz.

So, my solution was to remove the internal speaker
Yeah, I'm going to unplug everything that isn't necessary and see how it goes. I thought maybe I had an extra motherboard mount hitting the back of the board, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Buying a new PSU will be my last resort.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I was dealing with a similar issue. I would have to reset the cmos to get my old 2600K rig to boot. I replaced the board battery today, and so far so good.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:13 AM   #8
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

are you on the newest NVidia driver
try a different NVidia driver

I had NVidia driver boots to black screen problems for months first part of the year maybe it is back for some
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 03:44 PM   #9
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
If you computer is overclocked sometimes the bios craps out and doesn’t allow a boot.

Other times it can be a grounding issue.

Final issue of startup is either cpu or memory related in that they are not properly seated in their slots.
I agree. I had a similar issue when I started overclocking my processor. Sometimes it would fail to POST and automatically reset the BIOS. Turns out I had to disable the C-States and the problem went away. I tried changing out the BIOS battery prior to disabling the C-States and it didn't help.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 06:35 PM   #10
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

a CMOS batter will not prevent a computer from posting. All it does is keep power so your settings retain, and it isn't loading default settings. It will just boot as if you reset the CMOS every time, loading default settings.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2017, 08:18 PM   #11
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
a CMOS batter will not prevent a computer from posting. All it does is keep power so your settings retain, and it isn't loading default settings. It will just boot as if you reset the CMOS every time, loading default settings.
lmao wish someone could explain that to the old K8N Neo4 in my legacy box. It does some really weird stuff when the battery gets low.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:07 AM   #12
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
are you on the newest NVidia driver
try a different NVidia driver

I had NVidia driver boots to black screen problems for months first part of the year maybe it is back for some
Interesting. I'd be really surprised if it's the graphics card drivers, but it's worth a try.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 01:56 PM   #13
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Mine does it too if I unplug it, well the last time I did anyway, took me 20 min to jump start the bastard. Leave it plugged in, nope everything is fine power even went off one day, nope fine. Soon as that bastard is unplugged from the socket though, it's like trying to start a dying car battery. Need a new psw probably as this thing is about 7 years old or maybe older.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:15 AM   #14
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I had a similar issue. Computer ran fine. Never had issues with it turning off while using it. But sometimes when I restarted it wouldn't come back on. The MOBO light would come on, fans would kick on for a second, then it would just lose all power. Thought it was a power supply issue or a bios battery going bad. Sorry I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but it had to with disabling some sort of sleep mode in windows or the bios or a combination of both and I haven't had an issue since.
Intel i7 7700k @ 5.0Ghz, ASUS Z270-Extreme4, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2, 16GB EVGA DDR4-3200 Ram, Asus VG278 120hz monitor x 3, Corsair Hydro H60 water cooler, Creative SoundBlaster ZX, 2 x 500gb Samsung Evo 960 M.2 SSD, OCZ ZT 750W PSU, Cooler Master Maker 5 Case, Windows 10
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote