Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD AMD Catalyst 10.10D Hotfix for MLAA Coming 11/1/10

AMD will release a new hotfix driver later today that resolves issues where their new (to Radeon) Anti-Aliasing mode, Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA) doesn't apply correctly:

Quote:
An updated Morphological AA driver which will be posted to the web publically later today. This updated driver will addresses the issue where in some cases MLAA was not being correctly applied to games (very intermittently).
EDIT - Click the image below to download!

Source - Email from AMD.

You can read more about Morphological Anti-Aliasing here. Support is expected for HD 6800 series cards only, but you can try RadeonPro to enable it on HD 5000 series cards. No word yet for Windows XP, or Radeon HD 4000 users; likely older cards will take longer for the algorithm to be ported to, efficiently. EDIT - there will be no HD 4000 series support, it is not on the roadmap.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Nov 1, 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: updated - no HD 4000 series support
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Good news, thanks! Here's hoping that these will install in Vista as well.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Nov 1, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:44 PM   #3
vertex_shader
Radeon R700

vertex_shader is still being judged by the masses

10.10Y will be kickass

So AMD finally started relesing beta drivers more often.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:58 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Download link to drivers added to OP!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:32 PM   #5
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex_shader View Post
10.10Y will be kickass

So AMD finally started relesing beta drivers more often.
10.10z is better.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

No 5000 series support? I am a staunch supporter of ATI/AMD but 1 year and my card is already losing support for features. c'mon this is rediculous. Are 5000 series users going to be left behind now and just expected to upgrade because.

This is planned obsolecence to the extreme measure.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:56 PM   #7
red_star
Banned

red_star is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
No 5000 series support? I am a staunch supporter of ATI/AMD but 1 year and my card is already losing support for features. c'mon this is rediculous. Are 5000 series users going to be left behind now and just expected to upgrade because.

Because they suck, only one set of drivers was alright and that 10.4a, for everything else sucks my ass
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:41 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

knock off the trolling, red_star
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:49 AM   #9
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Dude, relax, I have a 5870 and I'm using these drivers just fine.

Install the drivers;
Install RadeonPro;
Reboot;
RP will ask you if you want to activate MLAA, say yes.
Viola!

yoz
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:51 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:

On the contrary, AMD plan to support MLAA on all 5000 series. This is the first beta set to come out with the feature. A little more patience, dude!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:00 AM   #11
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
A little more patience, dude!
No need to wait as others with 5000 series cards are running this driver just fine (except for Vista users).

yoz
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:37 PM   #12
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
On the contrary, AMD plan to support MLAA on all 5000 series. This is the first beta set to come out with the feature. A little more patience, dude!
From the front page article it says support is expected for 6800 series only and if the functionality has to be hacked in with a 3rd party app that tells me AMD is not supporting it even though the hardware is capable.

Maybe they should clarify support is only for 6800 series at this time but 5000 series will follow later, but as it reads, means only 6800 series will see this support and those of us with 1 year old cards are screwed.

I'm not expecting support for outdated hardware here. 5870 cards still command top dollar but they are already starting to throw it to the wayside. Am I over reacting? maybe All I am asking is they support barely over year old hardware and isn't like the 5870 is not capable of this feature.

I will be watching this closely as I have been getting disgusted with the hardware manufacturers for a couple of years now. Graphics tech is not like the old days when a new card upped the ante dramatically every generation. GPU's have been more stepping releases with a new number and marginal performance to justify the cost for a high end card just to be abandoned literally months later.

This article caught me during a bad week so I will see how it pans out before I make my judgement. Sorry for the mini rant.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:20 PM   #13
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
This article caught me during a bad week so I will see how it pans out before I make my judgement. Sorry for the mini rant.
Did you even read what I posted?

yoz
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:31 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
From the front page article it says support is expected for 6800 series only and if the functionality has to be hacked in with a 3rd party app that tells me AMD is not supporting it even though the hardware is capable.

Maybe they should clarify support is only for 6800 series at this time but 5000 series will follow later, but as it reads, means only 6800 series will see this support and those of us with 1 year old cards are screwed.

I'm not expecting support for outdated hardware here. 5870 cards still command top dollar but they are already starting to throw it to the wayside. Am I over reacting? maybe All I am asking is they support barely over year old hardware and isn't like the 5870 is not capable of this feature.

I will be watching this closely as I have been getting disgusted with the hardware manufacturers for a couple of years now. Graphics tech is not like the old days when a new card upped the ante dramatically every generation. GPU's have been more stepping releases with a new number and marginal performance to justify the cost for a high end card just to be abandoned literally months later.

OK dude, take a breath - There Will Be Support For MLAA on HD 5000 Series.

Currently, there is a beta hotfix driver, non-official, unsupported, for the HD 6800 series. Once the kinks have been worked out we can expect to see it in WHQL packages with broader device support. You can even enable it now with 3rd party tools like RadeonPro and ATiTrayTools.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:50 PM   #15
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Did you even read what I posted?

I did read your post but having to use a 3rd party tool is not official support.

Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:51 PM   #16
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
OK dude, take a breath - There Will Be Support For MLAA on HD 5000 Series.

Currently, there is a beta hotfix driver, non-official, unsupported, for the HD 6800 series. Once the kinks have been worked out we can expect to see it in WHQL packages with broader device support. You can even enable it now with 3rd party tools like RadeonPro and ATiTrayTools.
Like I said it has been a bad week and I may be over reacting a little my apologies.

Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:51 PM   #17
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

I am very much looking forward to MLAA on 5xxx but also on Vista . Two machines at that.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 07:23 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Like I said it has been a bad week and I may be over reacting a little my apologies.

Quote:
I did read your post but having to use a 3rd party tool is not official support.
There's no official support for any cards right now, even the HD 6000 are using an unsupported hotfix driver.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:07 AM   #19
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
No big deal, we've all been there.

yoz