Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 20, 2016, 01:57 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses

I carry around both an iPhone 6S and a Nexus 6P.

Honestly, I wish it could just be the Nexus 6P, but I have to use the iPhone for work. The iPhone is such a piece of crap; half of the time notifications fail to sync properly, so occasionally I'll miss a meeting invite or something like that, and they sometimes take up to 15 minutes to sync. It's annoying as hell. Nexus 6P, notifications are even more reliable than my PC, and they sync almost instantly.

Speak of meetings (and this is my BIGGEST annoyance with iPhone) why can't Apple add a god damn do not disturb timer function? Instead all you get is this lame toggle switch that you have to remember to flick back on after the meeting is over. Often I forget (especially with back to back meetings) and I miss calls. Such a basic, hugely beneficial feature, and who knows why they won't add it. Ton of other things I hate about iPhone, but it would take a lot of time to write it all.
PRERELEASE VERSION - NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2016, 02:07 AM   #62
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
People that are willing to shell out almost 1k bucks for a mobile are .... well, let's just say they are not so common over here. I never understood the apple-hype, especially when you look at the hardware specs, not to mention the i-tunes crap. All that aside i think that in this particular case it was a mix of users fault and terrible website design.
I think iPhone is mainly for people who have a lot of money to throw away on a fashion accessory, kind of like buying jewelry that is >10x the price of the materials it is made out of because it's a designer brand instead of going down to a pawn shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
They would if they could. Besides, it is pointless having 64-bit if you aren't trying to address > 3GB of memory. Which most phones don't even have. 64bit phone is just more marketing crap for the masses.
Pretty much. In fact, 64-bit does a disservice because binaries by necessity must be fatter, which means they eat up more memory, and for no good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
My wife wants an iPhone 7, she can't stand Android, she has a Galaxy 5 now. Offered her a cheap $99 5s but she wants the newest . Rats!
Honestly, Samsung makes **** phones in my opinion. I had a Note 4, and let's just say I'm never going to touch Samsung again. I honestly have no idea how their phones sell as well as they do. They seemingly have zero understanding of how to make a well designed UI. A good example of this is a settings menu that's basically a mile long.

Get her a Nexus 5x, I think she'll probably change her mind about iPhone.
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:57 PM   #63
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I carry around both an iPhone 6S and a Nexus 6P.

Honestly, I wish it could just be the Nexus 6P, but I have to use the iPhone for work. The iPhone is such a piece of crap; half of the time notifications fail to sync properly, so occasionally I'll miss a meeting invite or something like that, and they sometimes take up to 15 minutes to sync. It's annoying as hell. Nexus 6P, notifications are even more reliable than my PC, and they sync almost instantly.

Speak of meetings (and this is my BIGGEST annoyance with iPhone) why can't Apple add a god damn do not disturb timer function? Instead all you get is this lame toggle switch that you have to remember to flick back on after the meeting is over. Often I forget (especially with back to back meetings) and I miss calls. Such a basic, hugely beneficial feature, and who knows why they won't add it. Ton of other things I hate about iPhone, but it would take a lot of time to write it all.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 20, 2016, 01:12 PM   #64
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2016, 01:16 PM   #65
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

I'm looking in my phone right now, that DND menu entry is not there. Which version of IOS is this? I'm on 10.1. Even if the phone had it though, the Android method is far more intuitive (and obvious) in that you just open the notification bar, tap DND, press the + button for the timing you want, then tap done. Your screenshot also seems to indicate that it only permits you to create a set schedule instead of an on-demand timer, which is better in my case because meetings I have are rarely at the same time and they're not on a pre-planned schedule.
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-

Last edited by Rakeesh : Nov 20, 2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 07:55 PM   #66
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I'm looking in my phone right now, that DND menu entry is not there. Which version of IOS is this? I'm on 10.1. Even if the phone had it though, the Android method is far more intuitive (and obvious) in that you just open the notification bar, tap DND, press the + button for the timing you want, then tap done. Your screenshot also seems to indicate that it only permits you to create a set schedule instead of an on-demand timer, which is better in my case because meetings I have are rarely at the same time and they're not on a pre-planned schedule.

How are you missing that? It's right there.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:00 PM   #67
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

rofl
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:10 PM   #68
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

Also a quick enable on the control center.... someone trying real hard to hate

Pretty much exactly what you want is supported by the phone. You just dont know how to use it.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2016, 09:33 AM   #69
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Swipe up, click on DND, done.

To set timers, swipe up, 3D touch on timer and set from pre-selected, or tap to select what you want. You can 3D touch on any bottom row icons if your phone supports the feature.

I prefer Android for many things but all your complaints are a simple swipe away and click away.

-edit-

Also, that DND menu on the settings screen is very much there. It is directly under Control Center. Options are exactly as Payne described.

If it isn't showing up for you, post screenshots in a separate thread and let's trouble shoot.

Last edited by Sazar : Nov 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2016, 03:47 PM   #70
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Lmao at rakeesh getting owned.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:25 AM   #71
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Lmao at rakeesh getting owned.
Try again. This isn't what I asked for. This only allows you to set a fixed timer rather than an on-demand timer. It isn't even remotely comparable to the Android version.
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
Old Dec 22, 2016, 06:17 AM   #72
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Rakeesh: there is no DND
People with eyes: Here it is

Rakeesh got owned. Don't try changing the goalpost now.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 22, 2016, 07:36 AM   #73
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Try again. This isn't what I asked for. This only allows you to set a fixed timer rather than an on-demand timer. It isn't even remotely comparable to the Android version.
Oh, you mean that other option Sazar told you about?

Some people...
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:58 AM   #74
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Rakeesh: there is no DND
People with eyes: Here it is

Rakeesh got owned. Don't try changing the goalpost now.
Does the iphone have a DND feature? Yes. It wasn't present on my phone at the time due to some kind of bug in iOS (a new patch has since added it back, along with making calendar notifications work properly again; those were also broken.)

So yes, you do have me there. Congratulations.

However it still doesn't work anything like what I described or want. Neither do a lot of other features on iOS that are analogs to those in Android.

Tell me, do you go to the theater at the same time of the day, every single day? No? Then why on earth can't you set an on-demand DND timer? This is one of those things that you don't notice you're missing if you've never had it. If you've always been an iOS user, then that's you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Oh, you mean that other option Sazar told you about?

Some people...
Both methods do the same thing.
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
Old Jan 2, 2017, 03:18 PM   #75
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Tell me, do you go to the theater at the same time of the day, every single day? No? Then why on earth can't you set an on-demand DND timer?
On-demand? Sure it is! I swipe up, I turn it on. I swipe up, I turn it off.

Boom. On demand. Revolutionary.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:53 AM   #76
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
On-demand? Sure it is! I swipe up, I turn it on. I swipe up, I turn it off.

Boom. On demand. Revolutionary.
Jesus christ, that's too much damned work! How hard is it to make timers more accessible? I want to spend more time setting a timer rather than doing that on a device I check all the time anyhow.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 7, 2017, 01:52 PM   #77
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Does the iphone have a DND feature? Yes. It wasn't present on my phone at the time due to some kind of bug in iOS (a new patch has since added it back, along with making calendar notifications work properly again; those were also broken.)

However it still doesn't work anything like what I described or want. Neither do a lot of other features on iOS that are analogs to those in Android.

Tell me, do you go to the theater at the same time of the day, every single day? No? Then why on earth can't you set an on-demand DND timer? This is one of those things that you don't notice you're missing if you've never had it. If you've always been an iOS user, then that's you.

In my mind, an on demand timer is something you set when you want to.

And the method I suggested allows you not only to select a preset, but also adjust to set a timer as you see fit.

If you need something different for every day, you can do that too, except you need to do a bit more work or tell Siri.

Separately, there are plenty of apps out there that ought to address your needs.

Because a stock app doesn't do what you want it to do doesn't mean another option from the app store won't meet your needs. Many good apps also have widgets allowing you to further customize options.

I have many issues with iOS for a variety of reasons. I am not quite understanding your fixation with this particular thing.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 08:03 AM   #78
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

I once got in a discussion with someone complaining that the alarm was making a sound when the phone was on silent on the iphone

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:53 PM   #79
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB4800 View Post
Next day, I visited the website through our company's Perks system as I get some credit for purchases through it and this time I made the delivery method to be pick up from store. So the order went through. Though the faggots have a much annoying system. You see, it has to PROCESS the ORDER and then send a CONFIRMATION... I said to myself, sure it might take an hour. Oh and btw, when I did that pick up thing, they let you select a "Check-in" schedule. So I picked up the earliest one available (weirdly it has a 30 minute window! Anyway, I picked 1:30 to 2:00). Note that I made the order at 11:30 AM. I ordered the normal size, 256 GB and unlocked version for $920 tax included. I would like to add that the "Processing" webpage link the email had showed that I should get the phone TODAY!

Now it was time for me to leave office but no confirmation was sent yet! So I tried looking for customer support PHONE NUMBER! YOU WOULD THINK IT IS EASY TO FIND ONE ON THEIR ORDER PAGE OR SOMEWHERE WITHOUT DIGGING! Nope! But hey, there was a chat option so I chose that.

Now this chat system was so slow! Took about 10 minutes until someone talked to me. So I explained that I have yet to receive the confirmation order. He assured me all is going as normal and that processing takes around 2 hours. I told him that it is already 4 hours since the order was made! He said I should go to the pick up store and just get "the ball rolling" as that is my best chance for getting the phone. I told him that I was concerned to go there only to be told to go there LATER AFTER THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL IS RECEIVED. He said I have a high chance to get things done this way. Note that this idiot was taking 5 minutes between messages to reply as he seems to be responding to multiple customers at the same time. For a company making gold out of their asses, you would expect faster response.

So I drive after work and get to the pick up store. I get this teenager who has an iPad and tells me to go to the back corner of the store to get help on my issue. I go there and stand like a ****ing goat... I stood there and noone approached me. So I approached at someone STARING AT ME WITH AN APPLE SHIRT. So I went to him and told him I am supposed to get help here, are you the one who is supposed to help me? He said no it wasn't him but he will get someone who will help. So he calls some fat kid and he comes over. I told him my issue and that I should receive the phone already. He said... HE CAN'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL I GET THE CONFIRMATION!!! I was like, dude, I made the order hours ago! and it should be processed within two hours since the order! SURELY THERE IS A PROBLEM! He said, there is till 5 hours before we close! WOOOOOOOOOO. So you like, I should wait until YOU CLOSE THE STORE TO KNOW IF THERE IS A ****ING PROBLEM OR NOT!!! WOW!

Ofcourse I didn't say all that. I just asked him if he can contact some other department and figure out what is taking too long. He said he can't do much! So I took a deep breathe, took out my phone, navigated to my processing order email and clicked cancel! While I was doing that I told the gentlemen: My wife has been an iPhone user for a long time, but I guess not anymore...

Then I stormed out of the store.

What pissed me even more is there was no attempt from the employees to solve the problem whatsoever. I guess that is what you get when you try to purchase something from a company that is drowning in money.
The number to call is on every order page:

1-800-MY-APPLE

The rest of this post is utter idiocy.

Quote:

The "I'm used to one way, and not the other way" defence even if both ways get you what you want. Typical.

Last edited by VVanks : Jan 11, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:08 PM   #80
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
In my mind, an on demand timer is something you set when you want to.

And the method I suggested allows you not only to select a preset, but also adjust to set a timer as you see fit.

If you need something different for every day, you can do that too, except you need to do a bit more work or tell Siri.

Separately, there are plenty of apps out there that ought to address your needs.

Because a stock app doesn't do what you want it to do doesn't mean another option from the app store won't meet your needs. Many good apps also have widgets allowing you to further customize options.

I have many issues with iOS for a variety of reasons. I am not quite understanding your fixation with this particular thing.
I'll explain:

User's ineptitude at using his tool leads to social embarrassment, user blames tool instead of himself. Goes to forums under anonymity to flame his opinions.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote