Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Need a new MicroSDXC card for my phone. Brand / model recommendation?

The 64GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC card I got back in Nov. 2013 failed the other day (write-protected itself due to impending failure). Sandisk is replacing it under warranty, but I'm thinking I'll use this opportunity to upgrade to a faster card, and use the RMA replacement to upgrade my wife's phone from 32GB to 64GB.

Short list appears to be Samsung Evo+ or SanDisk Extreme Plus, but criticisms / other suggestions welcome. I think 64GB is still sufficient, considering my LG G3 is 32GB, and how everything is shifting to the cloud anyway.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 03:30 PM   #2
greasyhands
Vega 64

greasyhands is still being judged by the masses

I can't say a whole lot, but the wife and I both have the Samsung Evo 64GB in our note 4's. No issues at all.
greasyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 04:51 PM   #3
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Samsung EVO is pretty much the standard for regular use. Though if you intend to use adoptable storage in marshmallow devices, the Samsung Pro, Sony U3, or Sandisk extreme cards are a must due to their write speeds.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 2, 2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Faster is definitely better, but with cost in mind. Adoptable storage is definitely something toward which I'm looking forward.

Friend recommended the Sony SR64UY2A/TQ, as a bang/buck option. Will that cut it for adoptable storage?

edit: link check: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Micro-Mem.../dp/B00X1404E4

Last edited by Lupine : Mar 6, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 06:33 PM   #5
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

The good thing about amazon is that there are always reviewers that will post the benchmark speeds. You will see that card has your average 20MB/sec write speed

Unfortunately this is where there is a big write speed gap between cheap and expensive cards, there doesn't seem to be anything that's a massive value.

You can benchmark your phone's internal storage with an app, and then see what you will need for adoptable storage.

Last edited by DigitalDemon : Mar 2, 2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Ugh, friend also told me that LG (And Samsung) aren't enabling adoptable storage w/ the LG G5 / Samsung S7. So that likely means it won't be enabled when my G3 finally gets Marshmallow.

Last edited by Lupine : Mar 2, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 08:47 PM   #7
barleystout
Radeon R700

barleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete stranger

I just grabbed this one for the new phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professi...essional+1000x
barleystout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2016, 08:59 PM   #8
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleystout View Post
I just grabbed this one for the new phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professi...essional+1000x
That's the brand I use
Old Mar 3, 2016, 09:26 PM   #9
Lupine
Administrator

Unless I'm mistaken, looks like that is the only UHS-II/U3 model currently on the market.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 04:41 AM   #10
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

True, but unless you have a UHS-II capable reader (there are extra physical pinouts), then it doesn't much good. Maybe transferring from phone/camera to pc using the adapter thing included, but it won't increase speed inside the phone. That card specifically is about 90/60MB/s (read/write), 150/60 with the adapter. The sandisk extreme pro and samsung pro plus are both about 90/90. Pretty much up to you on where you want speed.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:44 AM   #11
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's all about price/performance. When backing up photos or viewing photos you want a fast read speed. Anything over 10 MB/s write speed is more than fast enough for taking photos or videos even on 4k video phones.

If I am working on a project where I boot from a microsd card then I concentrate on 4K transfer size IOPS.

A comment from a G3 user at another site:
Quote:
I have a 64mb Samsung pro card. measures 72MB/sec write and 79MB/sec read in the side of my HP laptop. manages 20MB/sec write and 77MB/sec read in my phone.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote