Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default New LG-G5 product video

Looks kinda cool overall. Some nice features.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

5.3" meh
always on screen -> battery life, meh
Modular design,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 03:29 PM   #3
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

That's the most interesting thing I've seen an Android device maker do in a long time.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 21, 2016, 06:09 PM   #4
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It is pretty interesting. Almost makes me want to consider it more than the S7 but the screen is too small. And the S7's camera looks really good.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
It is pretty interesting. Almost makes me want to consider it more than the S7 but the screen is too small. And the S7's camera looks really good.
Yah, the S7/Edge look pretty sharp.

But I really liked the video for the G5

This modularity is also a smart concept given who knows when ARA will make it to the market, if ever.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 07:28 PM   #6
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That looks pretty cool. This is what android needs they need original ideas not same old designs with just upgraded specs.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The modular thing has a lot of potential, but if they only have the 3 current modules (camera grip, speaker, and stock) it's going to tank. Probably going to tank if that modular bit doesn't make it to all other LG models, would be too niche otherwise.

The S7 looks nice, IP68 waterproofing is fantastic. More companies need to do that.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:21 PM   #8
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I was originally bummed by the lack of USB Type-C port on the S7 but the Edge model is simply too sexy to miss. Guess I'd be getting a new phone to replace my 6S.

As for the G5, it's way too ugly no matter how innovative it is. Besides, I'd never go without a protective case and the modules having different dimensions simply won't work with one.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:31 PM   #9
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The modular thing has a lot of potential, but if they only have the 3 current modules (camera grip, speaker, and stock) it's going to tank. Probably going to tank if that modular bit doesn't make it to all other LG models, would be too niche otherwise.

The S7 looks nice, IP68 waterproofing is fantastic. More companies need to do that.
Agreed. I'm also interested in seeing what the S7 sounds like because apparently it can combine speakers somehow and output almost 2W of power. Though I'm trying to find the link I had before and it just says the actual speaker is capable of 1.5W, the earpiece is 1.2W.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I was originally bummed by the lack of USB Type-C port on the S7 but the Edge model is simply too sexy to miss. Guess I'd be getting a new phone to replace my 6S.

As for the G5, it's way too ugly no matter how innovative it is. Besides, I'd never go without a protective case and the modules having different dimensions simply won't work with one.
Yah, I don't get why they didn't go with USB-C.

But, it has wireless, so that's good
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:11 AM   #11
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Why did they go LCD if they are going to do an always on display? That seems more than a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yah, I don't get why they didn't go with USB-C.

But, it has wireless, so that's good
Wireless charging? I haven't read that anywhere yet?

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:22 AM   #12
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Why did they go LCD if they are going to do an always on display? That seems more than a little
LG used an always on display with a 2nd digitizer on the V10. Same thing here with a low powered 2nd digitizer, I would assume.

Quote:
Wireless charging? I haven't read that anywhere yet?
Pretty sure it's a given.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...&utm_source=ac
Old Feb 22, 2016, 01:06 AM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Oh you meant for the S7, sorry

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 05:57 AM   #14
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Gotta praise LG for innovating here. The S7 looks really nice too, however in most of the videos I saw there is STILL stuttering/hitching with the software. Makes me hate their phones.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 08:44 AM   #15
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

It just feels to me like a throwback to that picture where the guy had all that stuff to carry around, and the caption is "now all this is on a smartphone" or something like that. If you need all that stuff, wouldn't you just carry around the actual things? And better quality ones at that?

Besides, if they're going to give you one with a better battery, why not just put a better battery in it in the first place? Everybody's going to want that one. And I'm concerned with the quality of the latching system as well. Sure, it'll be strong at first. But after latching and unlatching stuff a bunch of times? Especially if it's on the bottom of the device. Let's see how innovative they are the first time someone's phone won't work because whatever they jam up the thing won't stay in. It's just another point of failure that I don't think is necessary.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:19 AM   #16
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'm going S7 this round. The changes to the G5 for the most part is terrible. Would love an Xperia X Performance but no chance of seeing that here.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 04:12 PM   #17
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
It just feels to me like a throwback to that picture where the guy had all that stuff to carry around, and the caption is "now all this is on a smartphone" or something like that. If you need all that stuff, wouldn't you just carry around the actual things? And better quality ones at that?

Besides, if they're going to give you one with a better battery, why not just put a better battery in it in the first place? Everybody's going to want that one. And I'm concerned with the quality of the latching system as well. Sure, it'll be strong at first. But after latching and unlatching stuff a bunch of times? Especially if it's on the bottom of the device. Let's see how innovative they are the first time someone's phone won't work because whatever they jam up the thing won't stay in. It's just another point of failure that I don't think is necessary.
All phones hitch and stutter, true, but that seems to be TouchWiz related.

Which is why I would stick to a Nexus typically and why I keep hoping for a Samsung made Nexus again.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:51 PM   #18
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I'm going S7 this round. The changes to the G5 for the most part is terrible. Would love an Xperia X Performance but no chance of seeing that here.
The Xperia X Performance looks awesome. AFAIK, it's coming to the US?
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:43 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
The Xperia X Performance looks awesome. AFAIK, it's coming to the US?
Sony is pretty hosed here
Old Feb 23, 2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Sony is pretty hosed here
It's on the US website: http://www.sonymobile.com/us/
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old Feb 23, 2016, 03:06 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
It's on the US website: http://www.sonymobile.com/us/
Not a single carrier mentioned. Likely won't come to any US carriers, and in this heavily subsidized market that's a death knell.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 05:09 PM   #22
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

3gb of ram...

2800mah battery???

Cmon Sony...
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 05:50 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
3gb of ram...

2800mah battery???

Cmon Sony...
What is that extra GB going to do for you?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 01:52 PM   #24
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Not a single carrier mentioned. Likely won't come to any US carriers, and in this heavily subsidized market that's a death knell.
Other than having to pay a higher price, isn't it preferred to buy a phone that is not linked to any carrier and unlocked?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:00 PM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Other than having to pay a higher price, isn't it preferred to buy a phone that is not linked to any carrier and unlocked?
Not in the States.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 04:43 PM   #26
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Isn't it cheaper? You guys have roughly the same pricing (often better) than us Canadians. Definitely cheaper to buy a phone outright here.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2016, 05:24 PM   #27
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Isn't it cheaper? You guys have roughly the same pricing (often better) than us Canadians. Definitely cheaper to buy a phone outright here.
Don't think so, it's usually just MSRP split up over 18 or 24 months. I got my phone $100 off on a Cyber Monday deal, so mine is a bit cheaper per month. I think most carriers have done away with the contract stuff though, so you pay for your phone directly, usually no interest. Long story short, you generally pay the same whether you buy your phone outright or pay in installments, assuming a new phone.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 09:31 AM   #28
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What is that extra GB going to do for you?
Allow that much more smoother multitasking...and when I have the phone for 2+ years, I will need it for smooth operation.

I think I'm not getting anything but a Nexus phone this year, I'm tired of Samsung never updating and it going to crap quick, and crappy battery life, when I'm supposed to be using a "wireless" device.

I love all the charging efforts, but it seems like the effort is more on charging then extending battery life. That's still the wrong direction...

Sammy's battery efforts won't be in phones until maybe 2017...I'll bet 2018+.
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:56 AM   #29
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Allow that much more smoother multitasking...and when I have the phone for 2+ years, I will need it for smooth operation.

I think I'm not getting anything but a Nexus phone this year, I'm tired of Samsung never updating and it going to crap quick, and crappy battery life, when I'm supposed to be using a "wireless" device.

I love all the charging efforts, but it seems like the effort is more on charging then extending battery life. That's still the wrong direction...

Sammy's battery efforts won't be in phones until maybe 2017...I'll bet 2018+.
I guess perhaps if you're running games and the like you might notice a difference, but I cannot say I run out of RAM frequently, if ever on my One M7.

The far, far, far bigger thing I noticed was emptying out the local disk space. Android seems to use the onboard storage as swap, so when you get close to running out, it kills both battery life and performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:12 AM   #30
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Not in the States.
Most carriers are doing away with subsidized phones. You can buy them "subsidized" with new plans that end up costing more than the old ones typically.

So the better preference would be to buy outright.