Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 20, 2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Default Nobody cares about battery life, except for Motorola...

So after hearing about the 2016 line up of phones, I may just wait for the Turbo 3. The 820 seems like it's going to be an amazing processor, but, Samsung is doing nothing about their crap battery life, except quick charging. I thought these were supposed to be "wireless" phones!??!?!

Anyhow, as I end this rant, I guess I'll have to wait longer than I wanted this upcoming year, because, nobody cares about battery life...
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

LG are the only ones who support quick charging, wireless charging, and battery swapping. To handle battery life.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2015, 08:51 PM   #3
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Quite happy with my Nexus 6P, I can get around 3 hours (probably more) of screen on time and no bloat.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:31 PM   #4
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
So after hearing about the 2016 line up of phones, I may just wait for the Turbo 3. The 820 seems like it's going to be an amazing processor, but, Samsung is doing nothing about their crap battery life, except quick charging. I thought these were supposed to be "wireless" phones!??!?!

Anyhow, as I end this rant, I guess I'll have to wait longer than I wanted this upcoming year, because, nobody cares about battery life...
What about Sony? I heard their phone's battery life is quite stellar.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Nobody cares about Sony
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Battery size getting smaller for Sony flagship phones (Z2 3200mAH to Z3 3100mAH to Z5 2900mAH), though their Compact increases in capacity for some reason (Z1C 2300mAH, Z3C 260mAH and Z5C 2700mAH)

With manufacturer still crazy about screen resolution race, 4k display with tiny battery won't bode well with battery life especially coupled with power guzzler SoC like S810. I'd stick with 1280x720 on my Z3C thanks. Quick charging IMO is just battery killer
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:50 PM   #7
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
LG are the only ones who support quick charging, wireless charging, and battery swapping. To handle battery life.
the 950/950xl support those things, and I would imagine there are others too (can we mention windows phones or is that a strict no no!?), still i'd just prefer a lower res screen with a huge battery that lasts a good few days, sure 4k is essential but i'd be happy with a 720p phone that doesn't need a mammoth gpu to power drawing the menu, and does anyone actually use NFC?
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My Z3 got 6-8hrs screen on time all the time. Had a 1080p screen, was thin, and was fast. Could easily get 1.5 days of standby while getting 6+ hours of screen on time. Also didn't have a replaceable battery, but I didn't need it. Having to rely on a second battery is a hindrance, IMO, and not one I ever want to go back to.

edit: And my iPhone gets very similar battery life to my Z3, 6+ hrs of screen on time with ease. I've never run the battery all the way down.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 21, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Quite happy with my Nexus 6P, I can get around 3 hours (probably more) of screen on time and no bloat.
3 hours?

My Nexus 5 got 3-4. That sounds terrible.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 07:21 PM   #10
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

people apparently want MOAR POWERS
-FASTER GPU with the console quality graphics.....
-MOAR COARES!!!
-BIGGER SCREENS AND MOAR PIXELS!!!
-THINNER PHONES!!!
-with more features!!!

because facebook and candy crush requires all those things to run good.....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

16hrs 58min on standby, 50% remaining.

Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:20 AM   #12
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
16hrs 58min on standby, 50% remaining.
That's ****ing pathetic to be honest.

I would expect by 2015 our phones would be able to have a week of standby time like in the past.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 06:17 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
That's ****ing pathetic to be honest.

I would expect by 2015 our phones would be able to have a week of standby time like in the past.
Phones of the past couldn't do ****.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:12 AM   #14
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
Battery swapping is stupid. Makes the phone bulkier and less rigid. Battery capacity is lost because they need a heavy case to prevent the cells from getting crushed and catching fire in your pocket. Battery cases, external power banks, or wireless charging are much better solutions.

The real problem is the inefficiency of phone displays. Until they can come up with some kind of hybrid LCD/e-paper display, battery life will continue to suck.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 07:01 PM   #15
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

In a not so distant past, during Windows Mobile era, battery life of a couple of days considered to be 'bad' during those days. Today we went backwards where 4-5 hours screen on time is considered 'decent' I remember play Doom on my 02 Xphone, watch movies, play music etc so it's not exactly cant do sh**

For the battery capacity of 2-3x of those era and much efficient SoC, its just unforgivable to have 3-4 hours of screen on time. All thanks to inefficient OS and crazy screen resolution just to run some apps like Facebook and play Temple Run.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 09:48 PM   #16
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Phones of the past couldn't do ****.
At least you could use them to talk for more than 2 hours.

Which seems to be impossible on modern phones. It's, you know, A ****ING PHONE.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:16 PM   #17
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post

Samsung rules the Galaxy...or at least they are becoming Apple-like in terms of sales...they don't care anymore because consumers are bending over with blind folds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Ironically reviewers are weird...I saw one guy comparing the latest Sony Premium to an iPhone 6S and he made apple look better...it's about marketing and Sony's marketing needs to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
people apparently want MOAR POWERS
-FASTER GPU with the console quality graphics.....
-MOAR COARES!!!
-BIGGER SCREENS AND MOAR PIXELS!!!
-THINNER PHONES!!!
-with more features!!!

because facebook and candy crush requires all those things to run good.....
There's other reasons like tinder or social apps...mainly tinder...people are getting laid on there...it's not just facebook anymore.

Quote:

Many features suck on the battery life..GPS is chief among them...Skype or voice/video apps are pretty huge too...you'd be surprised as to how many people are doing such things.

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRpgl01brpo It'll Blow!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqrAKNv-Z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2015, 05:59 AM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

I don't even talk on the phone 2hrs a month.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 09:35 AM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I don't even talk on the phone 2hrs a month.

I remember those days. I'm already over 10 this week. Apparently when women go on vacation without you, they want to talk non-stop.

Old Dec 23, 2015, 01:53 PM   #20
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeah, I really wish there was a revolution in batteries. You should be able to use a phone all day and it have still loads of power left.

Just being happy it's still got power just because it's turned on (but not being used) at the end of the day is fail.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2015, 02:58 PM   #21
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yeah, I really wish there was a revolution in batteries. You should be able to use a phone all day and it have still loads of power left.

Just being happy it's still got power just because it's turned on (but not being used) at the end of the day is fail.
There have been revolutions, but cost and overall technology (at scale) appear to be the issue currently.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 04:36 PM   #22
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post

This is why I posted this in the first place....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There have been revolutions, but cost and overall technology (at scale) appear to be the issue currently.
It's not a revolution, if it doesn't affect the end user in a huge way. Right now, batteries are in phones to make them WIRELESS....quick charging is not my version of the word..."wireless." I'm sorry, but it's not....
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote