Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 22, 2015, 02:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Default Nagging ota update prompts in android?

I want to stop the annoying ota update notifications on my phone ... Is there an easy way to do this without rooting or doing anything externally?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
I want to stop the annoying ota update notifications on my phone ... Is there an easy way to do this without rooting or doing anything externally?
If you are using one of the devices that is getting OS update requests monthly, that is the new security thing. You should probably have the ability to disable the notification, maybe, but I'd probably suggest installing security updates.

If it is an application update notification, you can change that in your play store settings.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2015, 04:10 PM   #3
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Install the updates and the messages will go away.

You want to keep your phone and apps up to date because both can have security issues. People that don't keep their stuff up to date are part of the problem when it comes to malware spreading etc.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 23, 2015, 04:12 PM   #4
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I have to agree...update and they go away. No reason not to.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Install the updates and the messages will go away.

You want to keep your phone and apps up to date because both can have security issues. People that don't keep their stuff up to date are part of the problem when it comes to malware spreading etc.
I would, but I don't download any stupid programs on my phone. I've disabled mms auto downloads, etc. because of the stagefright thing. I keep the rest of the apps updated.

I'm reluctant to update because of stuff like this:
Old Nov 24, 2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
I would, but I don't download any stupid programs on my phone. I've disabled mms auto downloads, etc. because of the stagefright thing. I keep the rest of the apps updated.

Have you checked XDA's subforum for your phone to see if this is actually an issue? That's the place to start, IMO. Not some random Youtube video...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 08:41 AM   #7
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If you have a major oem stagefright should be fixed by now.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old Nov 24, 2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post

Not if he's not accepting OTA's
Old Nov 24, 2015, 09:46 AM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

I'm reluctant to update because of stuff like this:[/yt]
I'm reluctant to buy another android phone because of stuff like that. If a manufacturer cannot keep their stuff running then ditch it. I switched to iPhone months ago, my first IOS device and no regrets yet.

Scared of Stagefright? Then disable more than MMS: http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...r-stagefright/

The link about covers attacks from a URL. Pretty much disable ANYTHING that can play a MP4. Basically turn your phone into a feature phone. At that point why even have a smart phone if you turn off all multimedia functionality?

I updated my LG G Stylo from to 5.1.1 and screwed up 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and trashed the GPS so you pretty much never get a lock. I bought three of these phone and the updates act differently on all of them. Bluetooth on mine requires I hold my phone to the dash for it to work, on my dad's it just stops working completely and he restarts his phone. I opened a support ticket with LG and basically it's "Google knows about it" should be fixed in Android 6. And it's not just LG, it's all of them.

There are too many DIFFERENT Android devices on the market and all the manufacturers dump the devices on the market and move on to the next version. With everyone using custom UIs and wireless provider bloatware the Android device universe is not manageable. Long live Steve Jobs.

Edit: If you live near an Apple or Windows store consider one of those devices and buy it there with a support agreement. Being able to walk in and talk to someone face to face is a huge epic plus, much better than dealing with any POS wireless provider. I do have a Windows phone as well but another family member is using it. The Lumia 640 is really nice on T-Mobile. I don't know what your options are in Canada.

Last edited by guest : Nov 24, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post

It's not. Thanks to Sprint.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I'm reluctant to buy another android phone because of stuff like that. If a manufacturer cannot keep their stuff running then ditch it. I switched to iPhone months ago, my first IOS device and no regrets yet.
another valid point, however I was running low on funds and had to resort to buying something that I could afford.
No way in hell I would buy an android phone if I had a choice. I have messed with enough android devices in the past to know better by now.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 09:58 AM   #12
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
another valid point, however I was running low on funds and had to resort to buying something that I could afford.
No way in hell I would buy an android phone if I had a choice. I have messed with enough android devices in the past to know better by now.
I edited my post to talk about Windows stuff. I used the 640 on my account for a couple weeks to make sure it wasn't a POS. I was able to walk about 2 miles switching between a dozen Wi-FI access points and LTE towers without dropping a call. I was super impressed, best connectivity I have ever seen and even beats my iPhone . The only downside was the apps. The 640 screen is really good and the camera was OK with excellent battery life from the Snapdragon 410. I got the phone for under $100 there was no contract and it has been on sale for under $70. It has a SDcard slot too, I know 64GB cards worked in it, did not try a 128. I paid over $1,000 for my iPhone.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Not if he's not accepting OTA's
Isn't Android touted as the jesus of customizability and how you can control every aspect of it without restrictions? how about letting me disable the ota notifications until I feel like updating? I saw the update notification once, thanks for that, but I'll update when I know for sure that it's safe to update but until then leave me alone, maybe?.
By the way, I wasn't talking about security updates...I was talking about full OS updates like going from kitkat to lollipop, etc.
But even then, I should be able to silence the update notifications if I chose to do so...it's my device, isn't it?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Isn't Android touted as the jesus of customizability and how you can control every aspect of it without restrictions? how about letting me disable the ota notifications until I feel like updating? I saw the update notification once, thanks for that, but I'll update when I know for sure that it's safe to update but until then leave me alone, maybe?.
By the way, I wasn't talking about security updates...I was talking about full OS updates like going from kitkat to lollipop, etc.
But even then, I should be able to silence the update notifications if I chose to do so...it's my device, isn't it?
You can't disable updates without root.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:32 PM   #15
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Can you not long-press on the notification and then disable notification for that specific prompt?

Ah wait, you're on Kitkat. I think that's a 5.x thing.

If you are still on Kitkat, your choice, but without rooting, don't think you can do much to disable the update notification.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 01:30 AM   #16
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

I used to own MotoX, and I cannot say I had this problem after upgrading to Lollipop -- I don't think I noticed any difference with active display (on the other hand, active display on my Nexus 6P does not work at all...). Lollipop also came with some improvements which made it a worthwhile upgrade, IMO. I did discard my MotoX recently, but that was because its battery swell up so much that it seemed it was about to explode.

Quote:
Sure, if you root it; while you are at it, you can install a custom ROM, too. Nobody will stop you -- however, allowing ordinary users to ignore a system update (which future security updates will depend on) would be a very poor security practice. I agree with what Google/Motorola are doing here.
Woodgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote