Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:10 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
On my 6s Plus I can easily go two days even with a decent amount of usage. I turn off background app refresh for everything except gmail, hangouts and Samsung Smartthings. Funny that I use my iPhone for Google and Samsung services. Even with background refresh disabled my garmin app still connects to my dash GPS flawlessly every time providing it data. I limit notifications to my calendar and incoming calls because notifications turn the screen on and drain the battery.
I think I've only turned off a couple of things for background refresh.

Running 9.2 beta 4, so entirely possible there is some leakage there but, overall, still works well enough.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:18 PM   #212
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The operating system and some of the UX decisions are absolutely ridiculous, but for the most part, it's a pretty decent bit of hardware.
T-Mobile might be knocking $100 off the iPhones on Cyber Monday. Tempting.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:29 PM   #213
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
T-Mobile might be knocking $100 off the iPhones on Cyber Monday. Tempting.
I'd suggest going in and messing around with a phone for 15-20 mins or longer.

Don't believe the hype about the OS and smoothness and fit and finish of apps and stuff. Truthfully, flagship devices are all about the same levels of smoothness and pure Android > iOS almost across the board. Some apps are better on iOS, ESPECIALLY the camera app. But for most things, there is parity.

For battery life, it's great. Also great camera, and the screen is decent enough. Just fair warning before you jump in feet first
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:32 PM   #214
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Don't believe the hype about the OS and smoothness and fit and finish of apps and stuff. Truthfully, flagship devices are all about the same levels of smoothness and pure Android > iOS almost across the board. Some apps are better on iOS, ESPECIALLY the camera app. But for most things, there is parity.

For battery life, it's great. Also great camera, and the screen is decent enough. Just fair warning before you jump in feet first
I'll have 2 weeks to decide, so I'm not worried.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 01:12 PM   #215
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The day Elysian buys an iphone will be a special day for sure. Can't wait for his "review" 2 weeks later when he returns it haha.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 01:12 PM   #216
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Don't believe the hype about the OS and smoothness D
It's the only phone I know of with NVMe memory. The storage is really fast. The A9 is really fast as well. What interface issues are you seeing?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 01:19 PM   #217
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
The day Elysian buys an iphone will be a special day for sure. Can't wait for his "review" 2 weeks later when he returns it haha.
Unfortunately I don't have any choices on the Android side that have battery life anywhere near what the 6S+ offers. The last phone that did was the Xperia Z3, and US carriers have completely disowned Sony. That Z3 was the best phone I ever owned, should have never switched.

Also, while the iPhone 6S+ isn't certified IP67, it seems to have quite a bit more waterproofing than most phones, as evidenced by videos on Youtube of people leaving it in water for an hour without much, if any, harm. Rumor is the 7 will be waterproof.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 01:46 PM   #218
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
It's the only phone I know of with NVMe memory. The storage is really fast. The A9 is really fast as well. What interface issues are you seeing?
6s+ has known issues with lag, especially frame drops and frame-rate at 30fps or less for many animations where such issues don't exist on the 6s.

And random lag here and there within apps and the OS in general.

The storage may be super fast, but there are definitely some issues with animations and overall process handling. 9.2 seems to address some of the problems, but it's not fixed yet.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 01:47 PM   #219
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have any choices on the Android side that have battery life anywhere near what the 6S+ offers. The last phone that did was the Xperia Z3, and US carriers have completely disowned Sony. That Z3 was the best phone I ever owned, should have never switched.

Also, while the iPhone 6S+ isn't certified IP67, it seems to have quite a bit more waterproofing than most phones, as evidenced by videos on Youtube of people leaving it in water for an hour without much, if any, harm. Rumor is the 7 will be waterproof.
Get an Xperia if those things are what you are looking for.

The iphone is not waterproof, even if it is sealed fairly well.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 02:02 PM   #220
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
6s+ has known issues with lag, especially frame drops and frame-rate at 30fps or less for many animations where such issues don't exist on the 6s.

And random lag here and there within apps and the OS in general.
I have no issues. One of the first things I did was go into wallpapers and select still instead of perspective. I did this to maximize battery life but perhaps it helps with lag?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 02:15 PM   #221
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I have no issues. One of the first things I did was go into wallpapers and select still instead of perspective. I did this to maximize battery life but perhaps it helps with lag?

The frame rate is a bit higher under 9.2, but still not smooth like on the 6s and generally still not smooth overall.

You get used to it, but it's definitely noticeable.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 02:23 PM   #222
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Get an Xperia if those things are what you are looking for.

The iphone is not waterproof, even if it is sealed fairly well.
If that were an option I would. I use T-Mobile's JUMP! plan, so I am at their mercy.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 06:01 PM   #223
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

The frame rate is a bit higher under 9.2, but still not smooth like on the 6s and generally still not smooth overall.

Why I got rid of my 6+ and went to the 6.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 08:26 PM   #224
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Why I got rid of my 6+ and went to the 6.
Ios 9 made my phone drop frames and feel choppy. Both my 6+ and 6 have the same issues that weren't present with ios 8. Bought a 6s+ cheap and didn't even see that much of a speed improvement over my 6 so i sold it for a small profit I will just wait until 7 to get a new one.

Note 5 hasn't had the demand that the note 4 had heck even today I sell more note 4 than 5. The edge + in the other hand is really good looking piece of phone and people are buying a lot of them or just trading their regular edge for the +.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 06:47 AM   #225
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
Ios 9 made my phone drop frames and feel choppy. Both my 6+ and 6 have the same issues that weren't present with ios 8. Bought a 6s+ cheap and didn't even see that much of a speed improvement over my 6 so i sold it for a small profit I will just wait until 7 to get a new one.

Note 5 hasn't had the demand that the note 4 had heck even today I sell more note 4 than 5. The edge + in the other hand is really good looking piece of phone and people are buying a lot of them or just trading their regular edge for the +.
My 6s is stupid fast. Not quite as smooth as my nexus 6 which is still the best phone I've never owned. It's close, and loads everything much faster though. Battery life is also better in my use case. Very satisfied with the 6s.

If they get the performance issues with the bigger phone fixed I may consider it next gen if they can shrink the size a bit.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 08:12 AM   #226
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Do you use "still" or "perspective wallpapers"? I notice the 3D touch animations not being as smooth as it could be like in the video but the rest looks fine to me. You guys probably have the Samsung SOC.

Does everyone realize the 6s Plus is moving over twice as many pixels as the 6s?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 09:46 AM   #227
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Do you use "still" or "perspective wallpapers"? I notice the 3D touch animations not being as smooth as it could be like in the video but the rest looks fine to me. You guys probably have the Samsung SOC.
Samsung v/s TSMC was only really an "issue" re:battery life. And like I mentioned, not really a big issues for me now as I am getting used to the dropped frames/slower frame rate.

Quote:
Does everyone realize the 6s Plus is moving over twice as many pixels as the 6s?
This is an Apple thing. They are the ones who decided to render higher than 1080p and scale back down for the plus phones.

Also, the issues with dropped frames seems to have been introduced with iOS9. As such it might have to do with Metal optimizations, or other code that hasn't been streamlined or causes higher overhead.

There are a TON of threads about iOS9 related slowdowns across devices.

9.2 Beta 4 does address some of the reduced frame-rate so there's that. However there is an issue with the OS
Old Nov 25, 2015, 09:56 AM   #228
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
This is an Apple thing. They are the ones who decided to render higher than 1080p and scale back down for the plus phones.
Super-sampling aside the 6s Plus has over double the physical screen pixels as the 6s.

I wonder if it a battery life/performance balance issue? Is the display using the entire 3D pipeline or is it some cut down video mode?

And I still would like to know if you tried static wallpaper.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:17 AM   #229
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just happened upon this this morning:

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...y-switchi.aspx

Sounds like he was in a similar situation to me. Note 5 with awful battery life.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:30 AM   #230
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Super-sampling aside the 6s Plus has over double the physical screen pixels as the 6s.

I wonder if it a battery life/performance balance issue? Is the display using the entire 3D pipeline or is it some cut down video mode?

And I still would like to know if you tried static wallpaper.
Why does the wallpaper matter? It has nothing to do with some animations being smooth and others being stuttery/dropping frames.

And yes, I have a static wall for my home screen.

Battery life on the device is more than good enough. These animations are not things you'll see regularly, and the processor/memory available on the devices should be leaps and bounds good better over previous generations to avoid these kinds of issues. For what it's worth, it doesn't look like the 6 suffers from the problems the 6s+ does. Granted there are a number more pixels, but this is something that is fairly widespread and the tinkering being done with the betas indicates Apple is working on some kind of solution/balance.

As previously mentioned, I have gotten used to the sluggishness for the most part. I just expected a hell of a lot more from a BRAND NEW flagship device, especially after all the hype about how smooth and fast iOS is
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:35 AM   #231
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

Sounds like he was in a similar situation to me. Note 5 with awful battery life.
Go with whatever device fits your needs

FWIW, I don't consider anything but stock or close to stock Android to be an Android device, but the Note 5 has some amazing features. And I wholeheartedly disagree that iOS is a better OS. The Apps may be marginally better in some areas, but that's about it.

Most things require more interactions with the screen and the keyboard sucks. Swiftkey seems half as good as the Android version for whatever reason, little things like that.

BUT, battery life is solid and there are a wide range of accessories to fit your needs, and the camera is solid too. It's a product that can be recommended now.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:59 AM   #232
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I've been using Fleksy, Swiftkey has been driving me nuts for at least a year now. I even tried the Swiftkey Neural alpha, still awful.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:06 AM   #233
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I've been using Fleksy, Swiftkey has been driving me nuts for at least a year now. I even tried the Swiftkey Neural alpha, still awful.
Google's keyboard actually performed the best for my purposes. I liked Swiftkey due to the size options, but I don't have that on iOS

Neural basically needs a week or two to figure itself out a bit. I just got tired of waiting.

If Neural or Google Keyboard came to iOS AND supported 3D touch, I'd be very happy
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:17 AM   #234
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Google's keyboard actually performed the best for my purposes. I liked Swiftkey due to the size options, but I don't have that on iOS

Neural basically needs a week or two to figure itself out a bit. I just got tired of waiting.

If Neural or Google Keyboard came to iOS AND supported 3D touch, I'd be very happy
I used Neural from day one and it never figured itself out. The fact you can't personalize it just makes it worse.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:50 PM   #235
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Elysian has converted. My work here is done. Goodbye Rage3D.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:56 PM   #236
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Elysian has converted. My work here is done. Goodbye Rage3D.

I haven't converted just yet, I'll have 2 weeks to decide
Old Dec 3, 2015, 01:23 AM   #237
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Well, Samsung just dumped the latest OTA update.

Personally... it breaks alot of ****.

Apps that use anything network freeze up or lag now. Battery life improved though.

Not impressed with the update however. I get 10-12hrs usage per day out of it with 4-5hrs screen on time on 3G in low reception.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:08 PM   #238
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I haven't converted just yet, I'll have 2 weeks to decide
How are you liking it so far?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:19 PM   #239
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Well, Samsung just dumped the latest OTA update.

Personally... it breaks alot of ****.

Apps that use anything network freeze up or lag now. Battery life improved though.

Not impressed with the update however. I get 10-12hrs usage per day out of it with 4-5hrs screen on time on 3G in low reception.
That sounds awful. 4hrs is the max I've seen with Lollipop, with around 13-14hrs standby on the best day, so it doesn't sound like it's improved at all.

Quote:
How are you liking it so far?
Don't know, it's out for delivery right now.

I have tried the 6s+ a few times now since ordering, at the stores, and have liked what I've seen, especially with force touch. I was actually taken aback by how much I liked force touch, it's extremely useful, I'm a fan already.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:25 PM   #240
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

I bet $100 Elysian won't keep his new iphone past the two weeks return window. Anyone?