Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:31 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I've already done that (and mentioned I've done that) several times.
I'd exchange it. Don't you have a 14 day return period if you wanted to go back to the Z3?
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:33 AM   #122
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I'd exchange it. Don't you have a 14 day return period if you wanted to go back to the Z3?
No, you sign a thing that says once you trade in your old phone you can't get it back And they don't sell the Z3 anymore, nor will they give you one if you have to warranty it.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:35 AM   #123
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
No, you sign a thing that says once you trade in your old phone you can't get it back And they don't sell the Z3 anymore, nor will they give you one if you have to warranty it.
Jesus.

Didn't know you gave up the Z3. I kept my iPhone 6 Plus just for this scenario. I'm still not sure how the AT&T Next plan works. Since I bought the Note 5 from Best Buy, they didn't ask me to give up my iPhone, so I didn't know if I was suppose to go AT&T and turn it in or whatnot. If I kept the Note 5, I would have been at AT&T the next day to give them their phone back.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:37 AM   #124
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Jesus.
You said it man.

And I can't even root this thing, because I want to be able to use Samsung Pay with their magnetic tech...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:38 AM   #125
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
You said it man.

And I can't even root this thing, because I want to be able to use Samsung Pay with their magnetic tech...
I had a no Samsung policy too. But damn the Note 5 is nice. The toned down Touchwiz was great and I only saw it when I went into Settings. I was using the Google Now launcher too. Too bad they screwed the pooch on battery life. I still say exchange it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:43 AM   #126
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
You said it man.

exchange it then. What your describing is far from normal with battery.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:02 AM   #127
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

New review by Engadget this morning, saying stellar things about battery life.

Obviously, this isn't my experience or Ely's...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/25/s...note-5-review/

Quote:
Thankfully, runtime was never an issue. My weird workdays are well-chronicled in my phone reviews, filled with incoming Slack messages, Spotify playlists, responding to email, tethering and ducking off to the bathroom for a few YouTube videos in between stories. I'd unplug the Note 5 from its charger in the morning, do all of that for about 18 hours and still have about 10 or 15 percent charge left so my Audible books could lull me to sleep. And what about the wringer that is the standard Engadget rundown test (looping video with an active WiFi connection and screen brightness locked at 50 percent)? Well, it hung in there for just under 14 hours, up from 13 hours on the Note 4.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:07 AM   #128
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
New review by Engadget this morning, saying stellar things about battery life.

Obviously, this isn't my experience or Ely's...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/25/s...note-5-review/
Meh.. Reviewers battery life. Sometimes you just get a one off bad one. I had 3 note 2s. One of them the battery life was just ridiculous, the other 2 crappy average.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:30 AM   #129
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My usage this morning... Draining over 5% per hour, already down to 77% after taking these screenshots...

That Android System usage tells me this is a software issue, not a hardware. Something in the background is keeping this phone awake all the time. Stay Awake time on Android system is 2h 35m...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:11 AM   #130
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

First day of full use on the phone. Let's see how this goes...

EDIT: About half way through the day, battery seems only slightly better than what I was getting with my S4. However, being that I received it just yesterday, I have been on it more than usual (I should be getting work done!).

Last edited by SoCalMX70 : Aug 25, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
SoCalMX70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:11 AM   #131
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Figured as much. Too bad no root yet. Some of the samsung services like quick find/share etc create that android os usage.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:21 AM   #132
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Figured as much. Too bad no root yet. Some of the samsung services like quick find/share etc create that android os usage.
I'll look into disabling those, they were two that I was iffy on.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:35 PM   #133
Ryan45
Radeon Northern Islands

Ryan45 is still being judged by the masses

Got it on Friday, phone is amazing and fast. Coming from an S3 it was a great upgrade.

I had great battery life, though I don't sit on my phone all day like most people including my wife (Facebook). I almost made it 3 days before charging, right now I am on 17 hours with 60% left.

A couple complaints/concerns

1. It feels fragile with all the glass
2. Verizon bloat and how they try to trick you into using service that you have to pay for.
3. Some apps don't work that I used on my S3, although that isn't really the phones fault
4. How long will it last?

Lastly anyone know of a clock app with a 5x1 widget that does NOT include weather?
Ryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:37 PM   #134
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan45 View Post
Got it on Friday, phone is amazing and fast. Coming from an S3 it was a great upgrade.

I had great battery life, though I don't sit on my phone all day like most people including my wife (Facebook). I almost made it 3 days before charging, right now I am on 17 hours with 60% left.

A couple complaints/concerns

1. It feels fragile with all the glass
2. Verizon bloat and how they try to trick you into using service that you have to pay for.
3. Some apps don't work that I used on my S3, although that isn't really the phones fault
4. How long will it last?

Lastly anyone know of a clock app with a 5x1 widget that does NOT include weather?
The glass was my main concern long term. I rocked it without a case (nothing was available) when I had it but I was babying it. I remember the 4/4S days. Sure it looks great, but the entire phone shouldn't be made of glass. I'm glad Apple stopped doing that.

Last edited by Razeus : Aug 25, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:38 PM   #135
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan45 View Post

HD Widgets will do 5x1 without weather.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 01:42 PM   #136
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
The glass was my main concern long term. I rocked it without a case (nothing was available) when I had it but I was babying it. I remember the 4/4S days. Sure it looks great, but the entire phone should be made of glass. I'm glad Apple stopped doing that.

I have to agree here. As much as I really don't want to run a case this time around, I caved and ordered the thin clear one from Samsung (just covers the back and corners). In the meantime I am babying it...

Also, I should have a wonderful time cleaning the smudges off the back when the case arrives .
Old Aug 25, 2015, 01:54 PM   #137
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/25/note-5-stylus-issue

The comments section is hilarious. People arguing that a kid could put the stylus in backwards... Uh, don't let your kid use your nearly $1k phone. Most people with a pair of brain cells/who don't wear mittens would be able to tell they were about to put the stylus in backwards, and if you just RTFM'd you'd see that Samsung says NOT to do this.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:02 PM   #138
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

According to gsm arena the note 5 has a li-po battery. Don't those typically run at a higher voltage than a standard 3.7v li-on cell?
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:05 PM   #139
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/25/note-5-stylus-issue

The comments section is hilarious. People arguing that a kid could put the stylus in backwards... Uh, don't let your kid use your nearly $1k phone. Most people with a pair of brain cells/who don't wear mittens would be able to tell they were about to put the stylus in backwards, and if you just RTFM'd you'd see that Samsung says NOT to do this.
Slow news day. Blogs have to look for anything to generate an article.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:53 PM   #140
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Correction... 3000mah battery.

I still love that everyone complains about SD Card and Battery but ignores that they also removed the IR Blaster...
All of these are inexcusable.
I will not be using my upgrade this year toward a Note 5.

I'll be hold onto my Note 4 just a bit longer it seems.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 03:01 PM   #141
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Well, we are comparing two different battery chemistries. I didn't think that li-po was common in phones.

I would like to know a little bit more about the battery
Old Aug 25, 2015, 03:34 PM   #142
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
All of these are inexcusable.
I will not be using my upgrade this year toward a Note 5.

I'll be hold onto my Note 4 just a bit longer it seems.
Inexusable to you and some others, sure. Not for the majority.

I used to think I needed an SD card... then I realized I was never using it. All of my photos are backed up to Google, I also have a dropbox, onedrive, etc. I also stream all of my music from Google Music, Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.

Sure, if I want a few movies on my phone I'll load them up. And as I type that I just remembered I got my HTPC up and running a couple weeks ago, running Plex... So, really I could stream all of my movies and TV Shows as well. If I know I'm going to be somewhere without signal (ex. I camp a lot), I'll download a handful before I go and still have plenty of space to spare.

This phone certainly isn't for everyone . If you love having every bit of your media/files local and need to run your phone for days without access to charging, this obviously wouldn't work out.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 03:43 PM   #143
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMX70 View Post
Inexusable to you and some others, sure. Not for the majority.

I used to think I needed an SD card... then I realized I was never using it. All of my photos are backed up to Google, I also have a dropbox, onedrive, etc. I also stream all of my music from Google Music, Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.

Sure, if I want a few movies on my phone I'll load them up. And as I type that I just remembered I got my HTPC up and running a couple weeks ago, running Plex... So, really I could stream all of my movies and TV Shows as well. If I know I'm going to be somewhere without signal (ex. I camp a lot), I'll download a handful before I go and still have plenty of space to spare.

This phone certainly isn't for everyone . If you love having every bit of your media/files local and need to run your phone for days without access to charging, this obviously wouldn't work out.
If I truly need extra storage, I have a USB OTG cable and a 128gb USB flash drive ready to go. SD cards are slow, inconvenient to use, and limited usability in Android. My 128gb USB is much faster than any SD card (it is a USB 3.0 drive, but even in USB 2.0 it's faster).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 03:55 PM   #144
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Aug 25, 2015, 04:47 PM   #145
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

3000 mAh does seem small. Hell the Note 3 came with a 3200 mAh battery. The note 2 came with a 3100 mAh.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 05:33 PM   #146
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

Battery is dying pretty quick on this first full day of use... About the same pace as my S4. Again, I'm definitely using it more than I normally would.

I don't forsee any issues as I get back to normal usage in the coming weeks. Also, I work at a desk and have access to charging really whenever I want. For folks who are out and about all day long, it could be a different story.

I am also curious to see if battery life improves after more continued usage ("learning" of my habits...).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:30 PM   #147
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Hmm, looked at a teardown. Battery image was a little blurry but it seemed to be labeled Li-on. 3.85 nominal voltage which is the same as the s6.

So, the active has a significantly larger battery.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:43 PM   #148
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Battery usage will improve. The first couple of daysI wasn't too thrilled with it due to it loosing charge faster than my note 3 but the last few days have been great. For instance I unplugged my noted 5 at 12:40 pm today and got home at around 12:30 am with 60% left. That in my books is good enough and has improved much since I got mine last Friday.
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:47 PM   #149
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I think disabling the Quick Find service made a difference.

Much better, though there was still nearly 13hrs of stay awake time thanks to Android System and only 2hrs 53min screen on time, which is lower than my typical day with the Z3.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 09:08 AM   #150
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

That android system is still way too high. With root you will be able to disable more. Do you use s health? If not disable it.