Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 10, 2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Samsung Note 5

Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2015, 03:28 PM   #2
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Fairly disappointing with the lack of a sd. They manage to keep the SD with the A series which is now also glass and metal and mid range ugh.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Looks like a nice phone. Wish it were water resistant and had dual front facing speakers, but it may still be compelling.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 10, 2015, 08:41 PM   #4
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Nope, sorry Samsung, done with your phones until you stop bloating them up with your software.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Nope, sorry Samsung, done with your phones until you stop bloating them up with your software.
The Note kind of needs some of the bloat, until Android includes the stylus tricks they have. The rest of their lineup? Not so much.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Past few gens have been relatively light on bloatware. Failing that, flash a custom ROM?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2015, 01:03 AM   #7
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Custom rommm suckas. The Note 5 is nearly a downgrade. My Note 4 is insane fast and the stylus tricks are easily replicated with apps. You loose a few things due to Samsung's closed source touchwiz bs, but over time everything will work as it should.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2015, 06:29 AM   #8
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'm holding out till next month to see what appears, though German Mobile networks are hardly the cheapest in the world

At the very least they will push older phones down in price.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/13/s...ds-on-preview/

Engadget says this years Touchwiz has a very light touch on top of stock Android. Sounds like a nice phone. Available to all US carriers August 21.

I'm going to have to check it out, it looks really nice.

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 13, 2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/13/s...eyboard-cover/

I guess Samsung wants Destroy's business
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

Chuki is still being judged by the masses

Don't like it, usually the S series and Note one uped each other, taking design ques and evolving on it. This looks like a large Galaxy S6. Smaller battery, similar processor, no micro sd slot. Pass, I waited a few months for this!

I'm thinking Moto X Pure for my next phone.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2015, 07:44 PM   #12
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/13/s...eyboard-cover/

I guess Samsung wants Destroy's business
Didnt BB sue a similar kb maker for Iphone and win? I wish they had kept a bigger battery. I dont mind it being hard to remove or losing the sd card.

My Note 2 contract ends this Nov and will be checking some new phones out but I want big screen and no contract so something decently priced...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 18.12.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F24 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 18.12.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:02 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Didnt BB sue a similar kb maker for Iphone and win? I wish they had kept a bigger battery. I dont mind it being hard to remove or losing the sd card.

My Note 2 contract ends this Nov and will be checking some new phones out but I want big screen and no contract so something decently priced...
That keyboard was a direct ripoff of the BB keyboard.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:50 PM   #14
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
The Note kind of needs some of the bloat, until Android includes the stylus tricks they have. The rest of their lineup? Not so much.
Disagree.

Run straight up Android on a Note, and I don't miss any of the stylus bullshit shortcuts. Works just fine as a "fine point" finger alone IMO.

Remove the bloatware period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2015, 02:36 AM   #15
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Not coming to Europe
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:11 AM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Disagree.

Run straight up Android on a Note, and I don't miss any of the stylus bullshit shortcuts. Works just fine as a "fine point" finger alone IMO.

Remove the bloatware period.
I don't think you speak for everyone on this.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:14 AM   #17
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Mine shipped already arrives monday got the sapphire

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:37 AM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I put myself on the notify list on the Tmobile website, I'm really interested. If you order from Tmobile by Sept. 30th you get free Netflix for a year.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 01:45 PM   #19
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Scratching my head at this but:

Gains over the Note 4:
-Uses the faster S6 CPU
-Wireless charging coil included

Losses over the Note 4:
-IR blaster
-Removable battery
-Micro SD slot

Everything else is the same besides the design. Seems like Samsung is trying to raise the profit margin on the phone.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 02:58 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post

Gains over the Note 4:
-Uses the faster S6 CPU

Losses over the Note 4:
-IR blaster
-Removable battery
-Micro SD slot

Everything else is the same besides the design. Seems like Samsung is trying to raise the profit margin on the phone.
They probably looked at what people actually use and found that those could be removed. I personally never use the Micro SD on my Z3, and it doesn't have a removable battery or an IR blaster, and I couldn't be happier with the phone. 32gb is more than enough for me also.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:17 PM   #21
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Finger print scanner improved?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:47 AM   #22
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Finger print scanner improved?
It works 75% of the time on my s6 edge
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2015, 03:36 PM   #23
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Gains over the Note 4:
-Uses the faster S6 CPU

Losses over the Note 4:
-IR blaster
-Removable battery
-Micro SD slot

The SD is a hit or miss. I am sure Samsung has some stats over usage and overall, industry wide, it doesn't seem to be a big thing. Internal > external for a variety of reasons.

The only true miss is a battery that isn't bigger. And no way to get a bigger battery unlike before.

Removable v/s non == cost savings and various benefits for rigidity, fit and finish, etc. Aesthetically, it's a better option but I can see why lots of folks preferred having that option available.

But, faster charging, even with wireless, on the Note 5, ought to alleviate many of those concerns.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:30 AM   #24
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

But, faster charging, even with wireless, on the Note 5, ought to alleviate many of those concerns.
It's not like the Note 4 didn't charge fast with the fast charger. (90 minutes from 0% to 100%)
Old Aug 16, 2015, 01:44 AM   #25
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The SD is a hit or miss. I am sure Samsung has some stats over usage and overall, industry wide, it doesn't seem to be a big thing. Internal > external for a variety of reasons.

The only true miss is a battery that isn't bigger. And no way to get a bigger battery unlike before.

Removable v/s non == cost savings and various benefits for rigidity, fit and finish, etc. Aesthetically, it's a better option but I can see why lots of folks preferred having that option available.

All these changes though basically removes the Note series as a niche device. A Note phone is supposed to be a productivity geared device. SD for storage of large amounts of files, media, etc. Removable battery for extended use.

Now the Note is just an S6 with a stylus. A stylus that will go unused to the majority of users because it's target market is no longer geared towards people who actually use it. These same users will think that the $2 stylus pen in the grocery checkout line is the same thing so why buy a Note over the S6?

I am going to put in a prediction that the Note 5 will tank and probably cease to exist after this version.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 08:17 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
All these changes though basically removes the Note series as a niche device. A Note phone is supposed to be a productivity geared device. SD for storage of large amounts of files, media, etc. Removable battery for extended use.

Now the Note is just an S6 with a stylus. A stylus that will go unused to the majority of users because it's target market is no longer geared towards people who actually use it. These same users will think that the $2 stylus pen in the grocery checkout line is the same thing so why buy a Note over the S6?

I am going to put in a prediction that the Note 5 will tank and probably cease to exist after this version.
This is the first Note I'm actually considering buying. I've always thought the stylus was a great touch, but they've never been good enough for me to actually want one.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 09:50 AM   #27
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

3100 mah battery...

Screw you Samsucks....

I really am waiting till next year when hopefully they focus on BATTERY LIFE, stupid phone makers.

Also, Sammy would win with SD card and removable battery, but no, they wanna be the "apple" of Android....
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:48 AM   #28
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
It's not like the Note 4 didn't charge fast with the fast charger. (90 minutes from 0% to 100%)
Sure, but that wasn't my point

Quote:

Yes, I am not arguing that this product is more gimped in various ways than the previous Note's. I am not a Note user myself, I am looking at this from a cost/benefit perspective.

The question ought to be, is the device better than the previous one, and is it worth upgrading to?

For many, the answer will be no, and they'll move on. For others, it'll be yes and they'll buy it.

Anecdotal, I still have a Nexus 5 because I couldn't care less about the Nexus 6. With the 2 new devices on the horizon, I am excited again because Google seems to have heard the concerns and is looking to address them.

Perhaps Samsung will do so as well for the next Note.

The reviews of the Note 5, though, seem to be mostly positive.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:00 PM   #29
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I don't think you speak for everyone on this.
Definitely not. I bought a Note 4 coming from running a Note 2 with a stock ROM (Cyanogenmod). The S-Pen related apps are hardly bloat, they are functional, and I much prefer having the stock Samsung apps over the several root apps to replicate some s-pen functions.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2015, 02:04 PM   #30
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
3100 mah battery...

Screw you Samsucks....

I really am waiting till next year when hopefully they focus on BATTERY LIFE, stupid phone makers.

Also, Sammy would win with SD card and removable battery, but no, they wanna be the "apple" of Android....
Correction... 3000mah battery.

I still love that everyone complains about SD Card and Battery but ignores that they also removed the IR Blaster...