Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Cameras: Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 6s vs. Nexus 6P vs. Lumia 950

http://www.androidcentral.com/camera...s-vs-6p-vs-950

Good article with a lot of pictures and videos.

I have always been a fan of Lumia phone's cameras and this summary is no exception.

I quite like my iPhone 6s+ camera and in the shots, it does a great job in almost all scenarios (except in darker situations).

The Nexus 6p... why did Google not include OIS, I'll never know.

The S7. Honestly, it seemed to have the best all around performance and this shows up in the summary for the author too.

He took a lot of shots and videos in many different situations so it should help make decisions for those folks who are interested in a phone with a great camera as primary use case.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I was amazed by the camera... until I decided to take pics at low-light at home. How the S7 camera captures detail is simply amazing, but the colors... can I say jaundiced?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2016, 04:30 AM   #3
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

And 1020 still beats them all. It's funny and sad at the same time :/
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 16, 2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
And 1020 still beats them all. It's funny and sad at the same time :/
I smell confirmation bias.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:56 AM   #5
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
There's a reason why they don't include it in these tests.

You know the best cellphone camera made so far, speakers and mic is actually in a Symbian phone? If the OS wasn't a pile of ****, I'd use one right now.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
My 920 is still an excellent camera all around. It doesn't take pictures as quickly as the latest phones, but it does a brilliant job with what it has.

The 1020 is a much better camera than that so...

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/feat...Nokia_Lumi.php

It's not the latest phone comparison, no, but you can see how much superior the 1020 is in pretty much any scenario compared to the iphone 6 plus. The 6s plus is a great camera but I am hesitant to suggest it would best the 1020 all around based on those shots and that detail.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
My 920 is still an excellent camera all around. It doesn't take pictures as quickly as the latest phones, but it does a brilliant job with what it has.
I have a 920, it's old and many of the recent flagships have caught up to it or even surpassed it.

Quote:
The 1020 is a much better camera than that so...

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/feat...Nokia_Lumi.php

It's not the latest phone comparison, no, but you can see how much superior the 1020 is in pretty much any scenario compared to the iphone 6 plus. The 6s plus is a great camera but I am hesitant to suggest it would best the 1020 all around based on those shots and that detail.
Sure, the iPhone 6S certainly doesn't beat the 1020 in any regard, but we're not saying the S7 is equal to the 6S. One of my issues with the pureview cams is their laggy autofocus and color reproduction (though that's more personal preference for "pop" on my part). The S7 has VERY snappy autofocus, excellent low light performance, and the colors are vibrant in a way that most people find appealing. Does it outright beat a Pureview cam with oversampling? Probably not for full crop resolution, but in scenarios like sports, moving objects in low light, or even vibrant compositions, the best results won't necessarily come from a 1020.

Is there a reason reviews omit the 1020? Because it's an outdated phone on a platform nobody uses, not necessarily because it's so much better than anything else. Either way, not sure what relevance the 1020 has to the OP's linked comparison. The S7 is clearly the winner there.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Mar 18, 2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Sure, the iPhone 6S certainly doesn't beat the 1020 in any regard, but we're not saying the S7 is equal to the 6S. One of my issues with the pureview cams is their laggy autofocus and color reproduction (though that's more personal preference for "pop" on my part). The S7 has VERY snappy autofocus, excellent low light performance, and the colors are vibrant in a way that most people find appealing. Does it outright beat a Pureview cam with oversampling? Probably not for full crop resolution, but in scenarios like sports, moving objects in low light, or even vibrant compositions, the best results won't necessarily come from a 1020.

Is there a reason reviews omit the 1020? Because it's an outdated phone on a platform nobody uses, not necessarily because it's so much better than anything else. Either way, not sure what relevance the 1020 has to the OP's linked comparison. The S7 is clearly the winner there.
It is a camera phone comment in a camera phone thread. Your response of "confirmation bias" was probably not the best choice.

Re: low light, the Nexus 6P, for example, does better than the S7 in some scenarios (see MKBHD review). But yes, it is a great camera. I personally thought the Lumia did better overall, except for the Panorama which requires another app apparently.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
It is a camera phone comment in a camera phone thread. Your response of "confirmation bias" was probably not the best choice.
It's a tongue in cheek joke about his love for Nokia, get a life.

Quote:
Re: low light, the Nexus 6P, for example, does better than the S7 in some scenarios (see MKBHD review). But yes, it is a great camera. I personally thought the Lumia did better overall, except for the Panorama which requires another app apparently.
You mean the MKBHD review where he doesn't show more than one sample or talk about his process to take said pics? Come on, pretty much every review out there shows stellar low light performance with the S7.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:02 PM   #10
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
It's a tongue in cheek joke about his love for Nokia, get a life.
Oh right, haha, that was a hilarious tongue in cheek joke.

Quote:
You mean the MKBHD review where he doesn't show more than one sample or talk about his process to take said pics? Come on, pretty much every review out there shows stellar low light performance with the S7.
The S7 takes excellent pictures but it is grainier than the Nexus 6P in some situations. You should see grainy pics in other comparisons as well, thought probably doesn't stand out as much because other shooters do the same. One of my iPhone's big failings is low light shooting.

The S7 has a great camera, it is easily one of if not the best all around camera. When you look at the pictures though, you'll also notice the Lumia is keeping up or exceeding in many areas, especially color reproduction.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 08:20 PM   #11
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Oh right, haha, that was a hilarious tongue in cheek joke.
You'd be the one other person not to get it since you clearly have some Lumia blinders on.

Quote:
The S7 takes excellent pictures but it is grainier than the Nexus 6P in some situations. You should see grainy pics in other comparisons as well, thought probably doesn't stand out as much because other shooters do the same. One of my iPhone's big failings is low light shooting.
In the review you posted, look at the night time bridge shot. 6P has way more noise than S7. In the close up, 950 has loss of detail (look at the underside brickwork) compared to the others.

Quote:
The S7 has a great camera, it is easily one of if not the best all around camera. When you look at the pictures though, you'll also notice the Lumia is keeping up or exceeding in many areas, especially color reproduction.
No, the Lumia is warmer with a general yellow cast and the S7 slightly cooler. IMO cooler is more correct. Either way, we don't know what if any white balance was used.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"