Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Note 3 Replacement

So a few months ago, I had a Note 5 ordered up but then cancelled because I was out of the country with work.

Now I am on the hunt for a replacement for my beat up old Note 3.

What say you and why?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You've already had an iPhone in the past, so I'm going to say iPhone. The Note battery life is dogshit now, there's no compelling reason to buy one. The only other contender would be an Xperia Z5 Premium, which should have very good battery life, but I'm not sure the availability for it.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:40 AM   #3
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Nexus 6P. Lean, fast, functional.

Why: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...8&postcount=76

Having my Note 3 for almost 3 years, despite being a good quality phone (with some caveats), the poor vendor support and inherit software problems that go along with owning a Samsung Android phone, drove me away.

Pure AOSP is bliss
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:45 AM   #4
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

You two nailed it -- I am leaning towards either Apple or Nexus.

Just not sure I can handle the Samsung bloat and battery problems anymore.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
You two nailed it -- I am leaning towards either Apple or Nexus.

Just not sure I can handle the Samsung bloat and battery problems anymore.
If you must stay Android, the 6P probably isn't a bad choice. I'm still not sold on Huawei's build quality, been too many issues with those phones reported.

The LG V10 might be an interesting choice as well.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:57 AM   #6
t3hl33td4rg0n

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

If there's anything else that might sway your opinion, this might help...

I work in an office where pretty much has a Mac and an Iphone. One couple decided to switch to Fi because VZW was raping them on plans. Neither of them were Android fans from the get-go, but they wanted to switch to save $$$.

Surprisingly they really like their new phones and service, so there's that.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
If there's anything else that might sway your opinion, this might help...

I work in an office where pretty much has a Mac and an Iphone. One couple decided to switch to Fi because VZW was raping them on plans. Neither of them were Android fans from the get-go, but they wanted to switch to save $$$.

Surprisingly they really like their new phones and service, so there's that.
Conversely, I just switched to an iPhone after years denounce Apple and using Android and have very few complaints.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:21 PM   #8
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

I am on a corporate plan, OS agnostic -- doesn't matter what I get.

I miss the reliability, battery and camera of my old iPhone -- just when I pick up my son's iPad or my wife's work phone they OS just feels childish.

I don't know.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Are they on 9.1? Is your wifes' work phone a 6s/6s+? Force touch is a nice addition, the new 6s/6s+ is solid. I don't really feel the OS is childish, but there are a few things I wish it had from iPhone. I posted about that in the Apple event thread this morning if you want to read it.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 01:26 PM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n

I've had plenty of Android phones over the years, but this is my first Nexus. It really stands out in it's own class IMO. This is the first time that I was actually satisfied with the out-of-box experience, and that doesn't come easy.

Didn't uninstall anything (no 3rd party bloat), just went straight to installing my apps and customizing. Not long after, I was in the groove of things and everything worked as intended.

This hasn't been the case in the past with my Samsung, HTC, and Sony phones, usually wasting time disabling and uninstalling all the useless crap that it comes with. The difference in night and day really.

Quote:
Conversely, I just switched to an iPhone after years denounce Apple and using Android and have very few complaints.
Just like iOS, Android has come a long way from the days of yore. When I hear co-workers on the other side exclaiming a superior experience after many years with iOS, that carries a bit of weight to it IMO.

In any case, if you're going to Android, Nexus is where it's at. My Note 3 doesn't hold a candle to my Nexus 6P in any aspect.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 04:02 PM   #11
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
So a few months ago, I had a Note 5 ordered up but then cancelled because I was out of the country with work.

Now I am on the hunt for a replacement for my beat up old Note 3.

What say you and why?
iPhone 6S+. You know why.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 05:24 PM   #12
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Are they on 9.1? Is your wifes' work phone a 6s/6s+? Force touch is a nice addition, the new 6s/6s+ is solid. I don't really feel the OS is childish, but there are a few things I wish it had from iPhone. I posted about that in the Apple event thread this morning if you want to read it.
You are agnostic like I am, I will give it a read. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
iPhone 6S+. You know why.
#applesalesmatter ?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:14 AM   #13
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
#applesalesmatter ?
Like the 6 Plus it has optical image stabilization but with the 6s Plus it now works for video as well.

The 6s and 6s Plus also use NVMe storage while everyone else is messing with eMMC, UFS etc.

Look at page 8 at this link:
http://www.flashmemorysummit.com/Eng...101C_Baram.pdf
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 06:11 AM   #14
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I went from a 4s, to a note 2, then note 3 to the 6+.

I decided on the 6+ as iOS has matured enough to not feel like a childs tablet any more and the feel, call quality, photo quality and stability are as good, if not (quite a bit) better than the note 3.

Part of that may have had to do with developing a pretty healthy dislike for anything Samsung and the constant nags and tweaks that were always there.

The 6+ pretty much just works, and works well aside from one buggy update that killed screen rotation. Quite happy with it so far. Pretty happy with it, enough to drop another $800 on another one for the spousal unit.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 03:10 PM   #15
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I've been looking around at various phones as I'm still rocking my Samsung S3 at the moment

I've been considering the Nexus 6p...I will never buy an iPhone
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2015, 08:06 AM   #16
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Note 5 64gb in hand

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old Dec 20, 2015, 02:16 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Hope you get better battery life than I did. The phone is great beyond that.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 07:40 PM   #18
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Hope you get better battery life than I did. The phone is great beyond that.
I can already tell it's terrible but it's like my C63, terrible on fuel but lots of fun.

If I wasn't near power 90% of the time I wouldn't like it but it's a non issue.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by switchAMG : Dec 21, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 08:34 PM   #19
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

Can I ask what the battery life is on the Note 5? I'm primarily interested in the device as a portable note taker with a stylus.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 08:49 AM   #20
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Been using mine since release. Battery at moderate to heavy usage end the day around 11ish around 20 or under. Your going to need to charge it mid day for 15mins or so if you have a late night. My 6s plus on the other hand will go 1 full late day. Both are really charge a day phones if you use your phone. I have a quick charger in my car, work, home and I always have a quick charge battery pack for the most part. Considering how much charge I get from just 15 mins plugged in, I don't mind a quick slap on the charger. Battery life to me is on par with the 4, not as good as 2 and 3. Yes the 6s + lasts longer, but you get a lot more phone with the note 5. Once you get use to using the S pen for certain things, you can't be without it.

Yesterday I unplugged at 8am. Had about 4.5hr screen time, I was out and I get notifications out the ass all day long, used the gps for about 1hr, gamed a bit now and then waiting for someone to finish shopping and still ended the day at 12 around 18%.

360 app on the appstore has actually helped my batt life quite a bit you guys should check it out. Hopefully with 6.0 doze and a better optimized software package we will see an improvement but batt life as is is no deal breaker.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote