Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 26, 2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Microsoft 950 xl

** edit, just have to say, I think I'm starting to agree with a few reviews, initial impressions, awesome, but there does still seem to be a few niggling issues, not major, but twice Wi-Fi has stopped working and needed the phone to restart, I've had quite a few things just close when I goto input something, I think in a couple of months this will be a solid phone, but unless your already a windows phone fan I'm not sure I'd jump to mobile 10 just yet

so just got one...didn't see any threads so I thought i'd post my first impressions

I was ready to be really disappointed, replaced my aging 920 (visually wise its still my favourite phone of all time, and i'm not a huge fan of this square phone thing) although its very comfortable to hold, and surprisingly usable with one hand.

got to be honest, the speed at which it works is impressive, and tried continuum via miracast, (have ordered free display dock) its also quite impressive, although all4 doesn't work on the cutdown edge browser so still need to mirror screen if your a fan of using channel 4's on demand, downside for me is I have no Bluetooth mouse/keyboard, and its a bit painful using the phone as a touch pad, although I can see how it can be handy if you were doing presentations, especially if someone made a gyroscopic app to behave as a air mouse!

had a huge update first, surprisingly, it just carried all my settings over, downloaded the installed apps that were on the 920 and just worked, have no idea if out of the box its laggy, I figured there's no point running with an older os version, especially with all the negative reviews.

battery life seems impressive, using it for the best part of a day, downloading/installing playing, only 50% at night, QI charging is painfully slow with the huge battery mind, i'm not sure if there are faster QI chargers now as mine is 3 years old. At the moment I charged it a few hours ago, played with for the past couple of hours, and its on 80% and estimating 1 Day & 4 hours remaining, hoping overtime when I'm bored of the novelty of having a new phone this will stretch out, if I can get 2 days usage I will be happy, I assume the wireless screen sharing zaps the power, and I've had that on at least half hour playing around since charging also)

I like usb C, although the cables don't slide in and out as easy as apple's system.

Phone stays fairly cool to the touch, downloading the huuuge windows update did get it warm, as does QI charging, but from my experience all QI charging phones get warm with that.

Biggest downsides so far for me,
  • live tiles don't seem to update, if you manually resize them I think that forces an update, but one of my things I like about the sensor core phones is to have the daily steps on a live tile (the 920 obviously didn't have it, but my better half's 735 has it, and I love that feature)
  • You have to manually switch between display mirroring and continuum with miracast, I was hoping there would be a separate option, but you have to connect to display and then delve into the options of screen projection to set mirror/extend
  • there is a bug when loading the all settings menu from the notification centre, or at least mine does it, it doesn't respond, holding down the back key to get to the task switcher than selecting it again works fine.
  • I really miss the photo's tile filling the full width of the phone, i'm not one for 100's of tiles, and just not having live tiles fill the screen looks daft
  • I have to put up with everyone telling me my phone is rubbish as it has no app's.
  • I have to listen to people with iPhone saying the photo's aren't that bad quality considering its not an iPhone.
  • Torch function is too bright!
  • doesn't wirelessly sync with the xbox pad
I'm hoping steam release a universal app that will allow game streaming to phone/xbox/windows pc, I doubt it will happen, but it would be nice, especially with the second screen function of the phone

Finally, fast charging seems to work, has a removable battery, and wireless charging, I read on another thread no phones have that, but this one does, sd card can be removed whilst the phone is on, just seems to accept its gone and the programs that are on sd just fade out until the card comes back online.

Last edited by SteadVéx : Dec 28, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My brother just got the 950 (non-XL). He likes it, he had the 920 before it. However, his battery life seems to be really poor. It goes from a full charge down to 20% or so in a day's use. This is without data and pretty much only using the phone to make calls. He told me there is a bug that should be patched soon but I wanted to know if you knew anything about this.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 05:35 PM   #3
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
My brother just got the 950 (non-XL). He likes it, he had the 920 before it. However, his battery life seems to be really poor. It goes from a full charge down to 20% or so in a day's use. This is without data and pretty much only using the phone to make calls. He told me there is a bug that should be patched soon but I wanted to know if you knew anything about this.
I've read online about an issue with the battery with the standard 950 getting almost half of what the xl is getting

have you tried using the windows phone recovery tool? might be a good way of checking if you have the latest update installed, although I just tried it on mine and I've actually got a newer version that's available, seems a little odd but not complaining!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobi...topic=FA142987

also interesting, the software version on that tool differs to what the phone tells me? my phone says 10.0.10586.29 and the tool says 10586.13065?

I bought mine unlocked, as far as I know carrier doesn't affect updates with windows phone 10, but I might be wrong/

I turned off Cortana mind, not sure how much that affects battery, I just feel daft talking to a phone, or a computer
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad