Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 18, 2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default iPhone Noob Questions

Just picked up a silver iphone 6s Plus 64GB for the wife and otterbox for it is on the way. I swore after some bad ipod experiences years ago I would never purchase another Apple product, so I have zero knowledge of them. However/..it's what she has been wanting, so...

1. What are the "must have" apps for the iPhone?

2. Is the itunes/Apple store the only source for apps?

3. Is there something along the lines of Google Device Manager/Locator for the iPhone?

4. What website(s) or forums do I need to be reading so when she asks me how to do something or fix something I will be able to do it?

BTW, I ordered it online and then went and picked it up in store this morning when I went to "the city". This phone is HUGE, didn't realize how huge until I saw one in the store. Wondering if I should have gotten her just the regular 6s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Most of the must-have apps are the same as the must-have apps on Android. You also definitely want to load up some Safari content blockers. I have Focus and K Blocker (a Kardashian/West/Jenner content blocker). There are good widgets available as well, I have WunderMap and Wunderground installed for weather, and Swipe Dial is good for putting favorites in your Notification Center. Make sure to install all the Google apps too, they're decent to good on iOS. Gmail is probably the weakest one so far, but it's got most of the features from the Android version.

Yes, App Store is the only place you can get apps from unless you're jailbroken. You can't jailbreak past 9.0 as Apple has fixed the Pangu vulnerabilities. I also read the Pangu jailbreak caused performance issues, so I never even bothered when I was on 9.0.2 still.

It's an easy phone to figure out honestly, I really like mine.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2015, 02:30 PM   #3
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Thanks!

Answered one of my own questions, there is the "find my iphone app"; that is a must b/c that ph.d educated woman would lose her head if it were not attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 18, 2015, 02:32 PM   #4
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Elysian recommending an iphone is a sign the end is near jk

Glad you like the iphone. I might switch to a 6S before the end of the year even though 9.2 on this iphone 6 is running much better than 9.0.2.

wabbitslayer: Go to macrumors.com there you will find most info about apple related products.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:18 PM   #5
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Here was a list I made for my dad the other week after he got his first smartphone.

Some ideas
• Your bank(s)
• Your financial/investment institution(s)
• Your insurance agency(ies)
• Your home security company?
• Your medical provider(s)

Some of the apps I have and recommend
• Google Chrome
• Google Maps
• Google Translate (handy to have)
• Microsoft Outlook – email and calendar
• Yelp
• The Weather Underground
• Amazon
• Netflix