Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 1, 2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default iPhone 7 Rumours

Apparently the newest one is that there is no headphone jack

Quote:
It is never too early for a juicy Apple iPhone 7 rumor and today we have a whopper: Apple might drop the venerable 3.5mm headphone jack in an effort to build a thinner iPhone, a move that would disrupt the $8 billion headphone industry.

The rumor, from Japanese Apple blog Macotakara cites a "reliable source" claiming Apple will remove the audio jack in an effort to shave a millimeter off the iPhone's thickness.
http://mashable.com/2015/11/30/apple.../#yv2H_0bpuPq8
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I really don't see the problem with this. If going with the Lightning port frees up room in the phone or allows them to go smaller without sacrificing battery size, so be it. The headphone jack is a dinosaur anyways. Hell, why haven't we gone 1/16" headphone jack yet? Besides, we all know when Apple says jump, accessory manufacturers say "How high?"

One rumor is that it will be water resistant. Hopefully that's true, would push more manufacturers to follow suit.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:50 AM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

thinner more bendable and they can sell adapters
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:16 AM   #4
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think it will work if there's a small and unobtrusive adapter that you can attach to to use regular headphones, but I don't know about Bluetooth.

I have a bluetooth headset I use when working out and it's great, but it's not as simple as plugging something in. You gotta turn the thing on and then pair the thing, and often times I find that it's slightly behind my phone in sync -- which means if I'm watching Netflix or something on my phone, it looks like the "lipsyncing" is a bit off. Maybe it's just mine in particular.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:24 AM   #5
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Whatever the phone ends up being I will get it cause its a contract year and Im too deep into the iOS system to care about anything else. Hoping for thinner, higher resolution screen, and some new features wont hurt either.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I think it will work if there's a small and unobtrusive adapter that you can attach to to use regular headphones, but I don't know about Bluetooth.

I have a bluetooth headset I use when working out and it's great, but it's not as simple as plugging something in. You gotta turn the thing on and then pair the thing, and often times I find that it's slightly behind my phone in sync -- which means if I'm watching Netflix or something on my phone, it looks like the "lipsyncing" is a bit off. Maybe it's just mine in particular.
I think part of it may depend on what's playing the sound. I've noticed my old head unit with Bluetooth 2.1 has a delay, I'm assuming a newer 4.x head unit wouldn't have such a delay. I've not used any 4.x stuff though so it's just speculation on my part.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:27 AM   #7
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I disagree about the adapter. Imagine......phone's dying so your charging it, you need to jump on conference call quickly, but have to search for a damn adapter you haven't used in a few weeks, it's at home or in the car. Just seems annoying.

And as someone who cares about audio quality, you can get much better product out of a 3.5mm IEM/Headphones than you can Bluetooth at the same price point.

I don't disagree that this would be a move in the right direction towards better technology, but market wise, seems like you will be alienating a large number of your consumers.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2015, 07:20 PM   #8
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

No jack, hmmm, I wonder if it will also be plug less charging as well like my Sonic tooth brush . Really I think this is in the right direction as long as you can communicate effectively from phone to other devices including headphones that is in sync with what is going on on the screen.

Having wires and strings attached to devices so they work is so yesterday and not hip or liberating.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 09:49 AM   #9
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
No jack, hmmm, I wonder if it will also be plug less charging as well like my Sonic tooth brush . Really I think this is in the right direction as long as you can communicate effectively from phone to other devices including headphones that is in sync with what is going on on the screen.

Having wires and strings attached to devices so they work is so yesterday and not hip or liberating.
Agree it's right direction, but wireless charging is too damn slow right now, and not really gaining much ground.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:12 AM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
Agree it's right direction, but wireless charging is too damn slow right now, and not really gaining much ground.
Samsung has fast wireless charging. Even without the fast charger, my Note 5 charged really quickly on wireless.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:29 AM   #11
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Samsung has fast wireless charging. Even without the fast charger, my Note 5 charged really quickly on wireless.
That's good to hear. Just needs to be widely adopted. It's a shame even some of the new flagship phones (htc's, nexus's, iphone) don't even include it.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:17 AM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
That's good to hear. Just needs to be widely adopted. It's a shame even some of the new flagship phones (htc's, nexus's, iphone) don't even include it.
It's a gimmick, IMO. I almost never used it on my Note 5, waste of $49.99 to get the damned thing. I kept it at my desk at work so I could top up, but it still wasn't used much. The fact that you're tethered to your desk to charge, can't take a call and charge, and can't pick up your phone at all lest you break the charging signal really means its basically pointless. You make your mobile phone immobile if you have to charge it. The only way wireless charging would not be a gimmick is if I could charge my phone anywhere in a room, without having to set it down. That's true wireless charging, but the tech just isn't there yet.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 08:10 PM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
It's a gimmick, IMO. I almost never used it on my Note 5, waste of $49.99 to get the damned thing. I kept it at my desk at work so I could top up, but it still wasn't used much. The fact that you're tethered to your desk to charge, can't take a call and charge, and can't pick up your phone at all lest you break the charging signal really means its basically pointless. You make your mobile phone immobile if you have to charge it. The only way wireless charging would not be a gimmick is if I could charge my phone anywhere in a room, without having to set it down. That's true wireless charging, but the tech just isn't there yet.
For you, and plenty of people. But for me, and plenty of other people, it's nice having a cradle or dock for your phone. I hate plugging stuff in.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
For you, and plenty of people. But for me, and plenty of other people, it's nice having a cradle or dock for your phone. I hate plugging stuff in.
Completely agree.

Having to plug my phone in is surprisingly annoying. Sure, lightning port and all, its a bit easier than USB (outside of type C), but wireless > all.

Sorry Elysian, definitely not a gimmick.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 04:35 AM   #15
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

True wireless would great but it all has to work right. For charging having hotspots for charging, for example your car your phone automatically starts to charge. Motels, restaurants and other locations as well.

Except I am pretty sure how my Sonic tooth brush works is like a transformer (primary windings on the charging stand, toothbrush has the secondary windings). Voltage is induced in the secondary windings due to the expanding and collapsing magnetic field on the primary which makes AC which gets rectified to DC for the toothbrush battery. (Man I hate explaining this, anyways same principle as a transformer). Now how do you do this in a car without having a charging station box? Same for any other place?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Completely agree.

Having to plug my phone in is surprisingly annoying. Sure, lightning port and all, its a bit easier than USB (outside of type C), but wireless > all.

Sorry Elysian, definitely not a gimmick.
I think you're both too easily annoyed at trivialities then.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:13 AM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
True wireless would great but it all has to work right. For charging having hotspots for charging, for example your car your phone automatically starts to charge. Motels, restaurants and other locations as well.

Except I am pretty sure how my Sonic tooth brush works is like a transformer (primary windings on the charging stand, toothbrush has the secondary windings). Voltage is induced in the secondary windings due to the expanding and collapsing magnetic field on the primary which makes AC which gets rectified to DC for the toothbrush battery. (Man I hate explaining this, anyways same principle as a transformer). Now how do you do this in a car without having a charging station box? Same for any other place?
http://bgr.com/2015/12/08/iot-device...y-radio-waves/

Just saw this this morning. Interesting.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 08:01 PM   #18
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
I think you're both too easily annoyed at trivialities then.
I feel like I stepped back into the late 80's or early 90's when I have to tether my phone to charge it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:50 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I feel like I stepped back into the late 80's or early 90's when I have to tether my phone to charge it.
You do have to tether it to charge it, tether it to a flat surface. There is a trivial difference between the two.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 01:10 AM   #20
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
You do have to tether it to charge it, tether it to a flat surface. There is a trivial difference between the two.
The difference is like a wireless phone vs corded. I'd be completely happy with a cradle mind you.

System:
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:04 AM   #21
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I think you are getting tether mixed up with pulling up the antenna to use your phone. The Motorola STARTAC came out in 1996 and I owned one.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote