Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 30, 2015, 06:30 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Poacan
Boobs

Poacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPoacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus 6 right now. For $400 I can get that phone with 64gb and it seems solid. Gonna be moving to Big Red soon.
Poacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2015, 02:17 PM   #62
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacan View Post
I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus 6 right now. For $400 I can get that phone with 64gb and it seems solid. Gonna be moving to Big Red soon.
Keep an eye on slickdeals and their Nexus 6 stuff. I have seen the 64GB's on sale for as low as $350 or $370 or so, and the 32GB for down to $300.

-edit-

Mods, can we merge the various new Nexus related threads?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2015, 02:20 PM   #63
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Decided to stick to my order. Staying with the Frost, have the google coverage for drops, should be good to go.

The delivery date per everyone who pre-ordered is showing early November
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 1, 2015, 04:40 PM   #64
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Keep an eye on slickdeals and their Nexus 6 stuff. I have seen the 64GB's on sale for as low as $350 or $370 or so, and the 32GB for down to $300.

-edit-

Mods, can we merge the various new Nexus related threads?
Done
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:55 AM   #65
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Done
Yay

Old Nov 4, 2015, 05:09 PM   #66
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

So, my day 1 pre-order is still pending.

Google, in their infinite wisdom, does NOT have a first come, first served system in place. If they do, it is utterly broken. People have ordered devices literally at the end of last week and received them. I am still pending.

People have ordered the same device as me and received an earlier ship date and have already received concessions that I am still pending.

And I am just using myself as an example. There is a massive thread on reddit talking about the shipment issues. And it's not that the product is late alone, it's the principal of the matter.

I have received no emails on the matter, all information has been procured through chats. My phone was supposed to ship on the 2nd. It did not. I was told it was a 2 day delay. It was supposed to ship today. It did not. I have been told that there is a further delay.

But... how is there a delay when people who have ordered after me are receiving their products? Is it a delay when you don't know how to design a database and handle procurement and distribution

Very happy others have gotten their devices, including those who ordered over a month after me. But this is a massive failure on Google's part. Makes the OnePlus fiasco's look like a walk in the park by comparison.

Very tempted to cancel and just walk in and pick up a 6s+ at this point. I'll give them a few more days... but incredibly annoyed at Google right now.

Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:01 PM   #67
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Was thinking about getting a 6P and switching to Fi.

Anyone else getting Fi?
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2015, 09:26 AM   #68
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Google's Play Devices site is borked. Tried ordering a Chromecast 2 yesterday, and it bombed out with an error.

There's also a problem with Google Now and Marshmallow on my N5. Screen off and charging, speaking "OK Google" should wake the device. Frequently, it doesn't respond until you hit the power button. Trusted Locations never works at my house, despite GPS lock and known WiFi networks. Sometimes Google Now states "I'm sorry, but I can't do that while the device is locked." Sometimes it says nothing and shows the lock screen.

I like Google products, but whoever is responsible for software quality control and testing should be fired for incompetence.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:57 AM   #69
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

I FINALLY got an email from Google late last night with my concession, shipping upgrade, and delay notification. Expected date range moves with 9-14 timeframe in November.

Amazing how they have delays for my device when others ordering the SAME phone several weeks AFTER me are getting theirs in hand
Old Nov 6, 2015, 04:58 PM   #70
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I FINALLY got an email from Google late last night with my concession, shipping upgrade, and delay notification. Expected date range moves with 9-14 timeframe in November.

Amazing how they have delays for my device when others ordering the SAME phone several weeks AFTER me are getting theirs in hand
Yeah... they can't get these launches right.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2015, 06:25 PM   #71
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Yeah... they can't get these launches right.
Nexus 5 was perfectly fine.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 08:58 AM   #72
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Spent more time with Google this weekend. Noted that a bunch of people with the exact same device had ordered just a few days back and were in processing or had shipped orders.

So I cancelled. Maybe next year google.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 09:36 AM   #73
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Spent more time with Google this weekend. Noted that a bunch of people with the exact same device had ordered just a few days back and were in processing or had shipped orders.

It's probably for the best. I keep seeing things about how cheaply the 6P is built. Apparently bends easier than the iPhone 6+ did (which isn't a huge deal honestly, but what is concerning to me is how the glass just shatters when it's supposed to be Gorilla Glass), and now the latest thing is the camera surround shattering/cracking for no reason.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:25 AM   #74
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It's probably for the best. I keep seeing things about how cheaply the 6P is built. Apparently bends easier than the iPhone 6+ did (which isn't a huge deal honestly, but what is concerning to me is how the glass just shatters when it's supposed to be Gorilla Glass), and now the latest thing is the camera surround shattering/cracking for no reason.
I am not too worried about some of the defects, outside of the rear glass shattering. That seems to be a fit and finish problem, especially migrating from hot to cold and vice versa. Not sure if you recall the Hyundai Velostar or whatever it's called, had the same problem with it's glass roof spontaneously exploding. So far only 2 cases I have seen of the rear glass shattering so who knows how bad it really is.

But as a matter of principle I couldn't go with the 6p.

iOS needs more polish in terms of navigating, but overall I'm getting more used to it and muscle memory is being tuned. Some quirks exist, for example on my Nexus 5, I could get one Amazon app and all the others would know my log in details. Not so on iOS. I need to specifically log in to each item individually.

I do like that contacts details are synced with Facebook for birthdays and contact pictures. I had to use Sync.Me on android for it. A bit annoying that I have to merge my contacts again after migrating. The move iOS app by Apple needs a bit more cleaning up too I guess, but it got the job done, and in record time.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 04:14 PM   #75
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

I nearly canceled my order after seeing so many people who order their phones post-launch are getting the phone before I did, as well -- unfortunately, I need a phone right now, so waiting isn't an option. Then, they decided to ship mine today -- at least, they upgraded it to overnight (though those who payed for overnight should be rightfully upset about this). Yeah, their handling of Nexus 6p shipping is a real mess -- I am suspecting that neither Huawei nor Google have much experience shipping physical goods and their logistical problems (in case of Huawei, outside of China). With Nexus 5, they could rely on the experiences of LG. For 6P, they are most likely on their own.

I am less concerned about the supposed production defects, though; given the popularity of 6p (thus, lots of eyes -- of phone fanatics, no less -- to look for defect). So far, what I heard isn't out of line from many other flagship phones at launch, to be honest.
Woodgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:30 AM   #76
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

So I decided to take the plunge. I too had issues with my order. turns out that ordering your phone with Fi together is what was causing the delays, according to several posts on XDA.

the folks who were ordering their phones through the G store seperately were getting their phones shipped quickly. Allegedly the warehouses for the G store and Fi are separate, and the Fi orders were getting delayed.

I decided to wait (2.5 weeks), but I did get my phone.

I must say that I am really enjoying the phone. The build quality feels good and the phone itself is really lightweight, the back doesn't have good grip but I always use a case and screen protector.

I've been using a Note 3 for years, so I've been used to the capacitive buttons at the bottom, and the Nexus phones have the on-screen buttons. It took a bit of time to get used to, but it orks well.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the phone. Everything loads very quickly and everything is butter smooth. There is no lag or bloatware. You get the pure AOSP feel, and the only extra software installed apart from Googles suite of apps is the Android Pay and the Fi app, which is perfectly fine by me. I haven't felt the need to uninstall anything stock.

Battery life is really good! You could probably get 3-5 hours of screen on time, perhaps more. On day 1, I got just under 3 hours with 40% battery left. After a full charge, I GPS'd my commute to work with the screen on, just under an hours worth (the GPS was flawless) while bluetooth streaming a podcast... While at work, exhanged a dozen or so texts, either on screen or through Pushbullet. A couple of MMS messages as well. Also ran a AnTuTu benchmark and a Youtube video. Along with that 2 short phone calls. Still had around 35% battery. So all in all I am satisfied with the battery.

Haven't done any video yete, but I have tested some low-light situations with the camera, which turned out better than expected as that's where most cameras start to suck IMO. Here are some random low-light/night shots from the camera (default settings/auto).

If anyone wants any more feedback, let me know.

EDIT: I should probably mention some things about Fi.

I ported my number from T-Mobile, process took about 15 minutes for full activation. It was seamless, didn't have to make any phone calls, it was all done through the Project Fi app. SMS/MMS/phone all worked properly after porting. I used Wi-Fi calling once and no problems with the call. Cell reception hasn't been a problem once. In fact I've had really good coverage 95% of the time and the speed has been good as well.

Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red

Last edited by t3hl33td4rg0n : Dec 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote