Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Verizon - Galaxy Nexus Certified Pre-owned @ $229 off contract

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5862

Thoughts? My wife is using my old D2, so this would be a significant upgrade for her. Though, since she's already on a limited data plan, probably no reason not to save even more and get her something on contract. I'm staying off contract as long as possible, to keep my unlimited.

edit: after reading reviews and feedback, no longer interested in a galaxy nexus, pre-owned recert or not.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I really like my Galaxy Nexus. Screen is gorgeous, speed is good, stability and battery life are very good. Google recently made Android 4.1.2 available for it.

Only downside I have found is the lack of SD-Card slot.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Hrm, I'm wondering if this might work ...

1. Get a new S3 under contract to replace the D2, which is on a limited plan.
2. Move the S3 to my number (grandfathered unlimited), and my Razr to her number (base limited).
3. ...
4. Profit
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Hrm, I'm wondering if this might work ...

1. Get a new S3 under contract to replace the D2, which is on a limited plan.
2. Move the S3 to my number (grandfathered unlimited), and my Razr to her number (base limited).
3. ...
4. Profit
Sounds like a good plan. I just went from a Droid X2 to a Razr and I'm very satisfied. I believe you both would love the upgrade for very little money. Anyway to sneak her in the unlimited data loophole since she's going to 4G?
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I picked the S3 specifically because of the SD card slot. Galaxy Nexus looks like a good phone but comparing mine side by side with my friends, I made the right choice.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:17 PM   #6
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I picked the S3 specifically because of the SD card slot. Galaxy Nexus looks like a good phone but comparing mine side by side with my friends, I made the right choice.
There appears to be issues with certified pre-owned quality for this model phone.

You did make the right choice. I made the right choice preordering mine before the new policies went into effect that ends unlimited data.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
There appears to be issues with certified pre-owned quality for this model phone.

You did make the right choice. I made the right choice preordering mine before the new policies went into effect that ends unlimited data.
I made the right choice picking T-Mobile, even if I have next to no coverage on the highway between Austin and Dallas

I've had the phone just over 2 weeks now
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Sounds like a good plan. I just went from a Droid X2 to a Razr and I'm very satisfied. I believe you both would love the upgrade for very little money. Anyway to sneak her in the unlimited data loophole since she's going to 4G?
AFAIK Verizon doesn't offer an unlimited data plan anymore (top plan $100/mo for 12GB ) - which is exactly why I've refused to get under a new contract with my phone since doing so would cost me my grandfathered unlimited plan. We pay $30 for her base 2GB plan, and the same for my unlimited plan.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not reading good things about these refurbs ... not going to do it.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

Actually they are refusing to sell the phone "out right".

When you try to purchase it, your forced to buy a month-to-month or 2 year plan.

My friend wanted to upgrade his TB to something newer but didn't want to pay $300 for a 'newer' phone off e-bay/Craigs.

He called the rep and she refused to sell it just for $229. She stated he could buy the phone for $229 and just buy one month of service for minimum $80..($40 for the month then $40 phone) under a new contract, then just cancel it and use that as his current phone on his current unlimited line.

Or she said he could upgrade his line, but lose unlimited data, and pay only $50 for it.

Looks like Verizon really wants to get people off unlimited huh?
-------------------------

So he talked to a different rep, he said. Just buy it under a new name, pay the $230..

Pop your sim-card in, and off you go.

Last edited by Kovster : Oct 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

There are quality problems with the new phones as well (which is why they're returned)

- pathetic speaker volume
- short battery life (CDMA/LTE version)
- radio lockups and data drops
- defective WIFI chips (5ghz band stops working)

Last edited by GTwannabe : Oct 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #11
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
There are quality problems with the new phones as well (which is why they're returned)

- pathetic speaker volume
- short battery life (CDMA/LTE version)
- radio lockups and data drops
- defective WIFI chips (5ghz band stops working)
Seems to be a lot of display issues, purple screens, lines etc.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:25 PM   #12
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I love my Galaxy Nexus, but I've seen other people that have had problems with theirs. My brother had to exchange his due to antenna issues.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Lupine
Administrator

Yeah, its one thing to get it new and under warranty - quite another to roll the dice on a used one. Granted, this program provides a 1yr warranty - but the history remains questionable enough that I'm passing. Very glad this came up, or I might have been tempted to get a used one via CL sans warranty, which would have been a very very bad idea.