Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default King's Bounty

Damn you Didamangi, you mislead me. I started King's Bounty last night and had my entire army except for the knights wiped out in the training battle! Then I discovered your army doesn't get replenished in the training section. I don't know how the heck I can make it through the entire opening with the same army.

I don't even know why they call it training when the game has no tutorial whatsoever (either that or I completely overlooked it). It just throws you into a battle and expects you to know what to do.

I'm a feeble 29 year old now and I need a game to hold my hand a little in the beginning at least.

Last edited by Sweetz : Jan 11, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

i'm pretty sure there's a tutorial in the game. something about going through 3 different doors and completing 3 tasks while you learn the mechanics of the game.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The key to killing a hero: kill him early.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:05 PM   #4
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

the whole game is like that. you can run out of troops, and then you have to restart. at least the first game, don't know about the expansion cause i havent had a chance to install them yet.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Or you can skip the frustration all together and "cheat" in more units at will.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
i'm pretty sure there's a tutorial in the game. something about going through 3 different doors and completing 3 tasks while you learn the mechanics of the game.
The three doors thing is the training area I was talking about - but it doesn't teach you basic mechanics. It just sticks you on the hex grid and expects that you know the basics of turns, how to move, how to attack, cast spells. etc. Either that or I'm just missing something like I said.

I mean I got most of it having played HOMM back in the day, but they really kind of throw you to the wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
the whole game is like that. you can run out of troops, and then you have to restart. at least the first game, don't know about the expansion cause i havent had a chance to install them yet.
Dammit! I explicitly asked if it was all trial-and-error like HOMM and Didamangi said it wasn't.

Meh, I'll just play on easy I guess :embarrased: I'm not really looking to invest a lot of effort on these games.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Trainers are your friends...
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:00 PM   #8
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

in the other thread i also posted a link to some useful mods.

if your a mage, the little mod that regenerates your mana after battles is extremely useful. otherwise you have to wait for no reason for your mana to fill, and it has no ther effect on the game except being tedious.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:44 PM   #9
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
in the other thread i also posted a link to some useful mods.

if your a mage, the little mod that regenerates your mana after battles is extremely useful. otherwise you have to wait for no reason for your mana to fill, and it has no ther effect on the game except being tedious.
Waiting for hp or mp to regen is the worst part of any rpg. It is a waste of time for everyone. I mean most FPS had done away with the medi kit system and replaced it with auto heal after battles. Couldn't they take a hint?

Dragon Age's cheap potion and Witcher's fast regen pots is a good reference for RPGs in the future.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:49 PM   #10
GanjaStar
Jalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
Waiting for hp or mp to regen is the worst part of any rpg. It is a waste of time for everyone.
yeah but its abit different if the regen affects gameplay. in kings bounty, the part when you just roam the map has no way of affecting combat unless you choose so yourself. thats what i meant. you aren't gonna get surprise atacked, or anything of that sort. all the encounters are visible, so you basically jsut end up idling all the time till your mana recharges.

if there was a posibilty of random encounters, then mana regen would make some sense, but with the gameplay in place, its just a development oversight.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ugh. I'm forced to read the manual *shudder*. While the translation is at least above STALKER levels of atrocity, it still reads like a translation - which is to say the sentence structure and diction are rather unnatural.

---Update---

Holy crap, they don't even tell you how to move or attack in the game's manual. Nothing about unit AP, facing, etc. If I ever talk about buying an Eastern European developed game again, someone please stop me.

Last edited by Sweetz : Jan 11, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Not true. The point (in the first game, anyway) is to use the units you have availble. Humans, demons, elves, orcs, whatever.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:46 PM   #13
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I was also duped by R3D into purchasing this horse poop. No one told me it was turn based strategy and I spent some bones on it. BONES THAT I WANT BACK FFS...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:07 AM   #14
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
I mean I got most of it having played HOMM back in the day, but they really kind of throw you to the wolves.
How long ago was your last play of a HOMM game? I played part 3 about a year before I started KB, and the transition was quite easy. Not only that, but information-wise, the game helps you a lot more than the HOMM games I've played (tells you whether a counter-attack will take place, etc...)
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:37 AM   #15
didamangi
is lazy

didamangi is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Damn you Didamangi, you mislead me. I started King's Bounty last night and had my entire army except for the knights wiped out in the training battle! Then I discovered your army doesn't get replenished in the training section. I don't know how the heck I can make it through the entire opening with the same army.

I don't even know why they call it training when the game has no tutorial whatsoever (either that or I completely overlooked it). It just throws you into a battle and expects you to know what to do.

I'm a feeble 29 year old now and I need a game to hold my hand a little in the beginning at least.

Seriously, the only experienced I have with games that's similar to KB is HOMM III and V, and I played those games just briefly because I didn't like the slowness of it but I like the battle and army system, that's why I became interested in KB.

In training I just read all the text and got into the game fairly quickly without reading the manual, the game tooltips and training I thought was informative enough to give me a basic understanding about the battle systems and spells.

And wasn't the first battle just the one dragon against your army and spells?

In my case the first few hours of the game is the hardest since you can get wiped out easily, just do some quest to level up and get gold and better armies and soon the game becomes quite fun and not difficult at all.

Some tips:
- Press ALT in battles (you can see who moves first and last, I don't know why they have to hide this)
- Right click enemies in the world map to see their strenght, some enemies (and areas) are too strong at first, so avoid the impossible ones.
didamangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat View Post
How long ago was your last play of a HOMM game?
Well it has been like 10 years now I mostly played HOMM 2, tried a little HOMM 3 but didn't spend any serious time with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by didamangi View Post
And wasn't the first battle just the one dragon against your army and spells?
Yeah, but it has a ton of movement points and could kill every troop in one hit except the knights and jousters. So it pretty much flew around killing all of my weak units, while I'm futility trying to catch it my knights and their crappy 2 hex moving ability. I'm sure I made a lot of bad moves, but it's the first freaking battle in the game, a player should be able to make mistakes! It's absolutely ridiculous for the training battle to be able to decimate you.

Instruction-wise, what I really wanted to know was how the game's AP system works. E.g. it was not obvious to me whether I could move the full range and then attack, or if I had to save AP to attack.

I mean I understood the gist of what to do, but that's only because I still have (fuzzy) memories of HOMM - and it seems like that's the case with everyone else. Imagine someone who never played HOMM trying to play King's Bounty - they'd be completely lost.

Last edited by Sweetz : Jan 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:11 AM   #17
0mar
Sturmbannführer

0mar is still being judged by the masses

I thought the game was pretty intuitive. Took me like 5 battles before I realized what I had to do.

Your AP is shown as colored dots in the bottom right hand corner. Attacking takes at least 1 AP and drains the rest. Moving takes one AP. Opening a chest requires at least 1 AP and drains the rest. If your attack is more than his defense, you do bonus damage up to 300% if your attack is 3x his defense. You can cast 1 spell a round as a Fighter/Paladin. Mages are 2 spells/round with the proper feat.

KB and KB: Armored Princess are amazing games if you stick through it. Put 100+ hours into AP alone.
"You think yer smart? Think you can outsmart a bullet?"
"Americans will pay big bucks for horny goat weed, but won't pay for an aortic aneurysm to be fixed."
0mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:14 AM   #18
didamangi
is lazy

Quote:
Well it has been like 10 years now I mostly played HOMM 2, tried a little HOMM 3 but didn't spend any serious time with it.

Yeah, but it has a ton of movement points and could kill every troop in one hit except the knights and jousters. So it pretty much flew around killing all of my weak units, while I'm futility trying to catch it my knights and their crappy 2 hex moving ability. I'm sure I made a lot of bad moves, but it's the first freaking battle in the game, a player should be able to make mistakes! It's absolutely ridiculous for the training battle to be able to decimate you.

Instruction-wise, what I really wanted to know was how the game's AP system works. E.g. it was not obvious to me whether I could move the full range and then attack, or if I had to save AP to attack.

I mean I understood the gist of what to do, but that's only because I still have (fuzzy) memories of HOMM - and it seems like that's the case with everyone else. Imagine someone who never played HOMM trying to play King's Bounty - they'd be completely lost.
AP system is pretty basic, all you can do is move, attack, wait and defend, AP don't stack on to the next turn, you don't need to save AP to attack, as long as you stand next to your enemy you can attack (for melee fighters), for ranged fighters you can attack from anywhere albeit with reduced damage if it's too long (indicated by your cursor changed into a broken arrow), once you attack your AP is finished.

My tip against the dragon is this, attack using only the knights and jousters, keep everyone away from it and use your spell book and your unit special ability, like frozen arrow from archers that will restrict the dragon movement to just one square for a few rounds. Also make sure the first one to attack the dragon is your strongest unit, since the dragon can counter once. And don't forget to heal your units, it's all about minimizing the casualty really.

edit: 0mar explains it better about the AP
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:22 PM   #19
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

If you are having this much trouble with the training missions, you should seriously think about stopping now. I'm not trying to insult you, but the vanilla game can get quite hard sometimes and you can very easily run out of troops to fast.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

0mar, didamangi : Thank you. One more quick quesiton - what's the difference between Wait and Defend? I mean I know Defend obviously grants you a defense bonus. My question is - why would I ever use Wait then? Is there some penalty to using the Defend option? Does the creature sit out a turn or something like that?

theshadowcult: I'm surely capable of playing the game, the question is whether I want to bother putting the effort into it. I only played the first battle once now, and was just sort of screwing around - but the thing is, I thought I would be able to screw around since it was the freaking tutorial. I wasn't expecting the first creature you counter in the game to be able to eliminate 3 of your 5 troops in one hit. I'm not looking for a super challanging experience, I just want a fun diversion. I'll see what the game is like on easy.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:30 PM   #21
0mar
Sturmbannführer

0mar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
0mar, didamangi : Thank you. One more quick quesiton - what's the difference between Wait and Defend? I mean I know Defend obviously grants you a defense bonus. My question is - why would I ever use Wait then? Is there some penalty to using the Defend option? Does the creature sit out a turn or something like that?
Wait postpones the creature's turn until everything with lower initiative than it has gone then it's forced to act. This is how I used wait most of the time. Wait on my Black Dragon (highest initiative) then the rest of the computer's troops will move. Now I can do much more damage with his abilities or attack and he'll go again right away (since he will go last due to highest initiative then go first for the same reason). You can also use it on healer troops, so they can use a heal or resurrect in the turn if necessary. Say your healer goes 2nd, if you wait on him, he'll go 2nd to last and let you heal a tank troop in that turn, which allows him to recharge his heal faster since the next turn counts as one turn in terms of recharging.

Defend gives a huge bonus to defense, but drains all AP for that turn.
"You think yer smart? Think you can outsmart a bullet?"
"Americans will pay big bucks for horny goat weed, but won't pay for an aortic aneurysm to be fixed."
0mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:06 PM   #22
didamangi
is lazy

I would like to add that healing just heals whatever unit you have left, say you have 8 archers, then an enemy attacks the archer and it goes down to 7, healing the archers won't bring it back to 8, it's just heals the current health of your unit, you need resurrection to get back your fallen troops in battle.

And you can tell how many spaces the enemy units can move by right clicking on them, useful if you want to move your unit just close enough to them without being attacked.

IIRC double clicking on the enemies in battle will bring up their detailed info, so you can read their strength and weaknesses.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:54 PM   #23
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mar View Post
Wait postpones the creature's turn until everything with lower initiative than it has gone then it's forced to act.
Ah, so wait just delays a creature's action until the end of the turn - it's not considered their "action" for the turn like Defend. Got it now; I thought they were both "turn actions" (like attacking, using an ability), which is why I didn't understand the point of distinguishing them.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:54 PM   #24
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Well then I can certainly forgive you forgetting the finer points of the game!

If you're worried about running into a battle against someone you have no chance of defeating, the "Scouting" mind skill is very useful. I'm not sure how many levels of that skill I gave myself, but now it just says something like "equal" "much stronger than you" or "weaker than you" when you right click on the army before battle.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:27 AM   #25
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Those are not goode indicators though, as often enough i will get beat by a weaker enemy and slaughter a stronger one. Can't remember if the skills goes high enough to give you actual numbers, but if it does, you should get that.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:52 PM   #26
borat
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Those are not goode indicators though, as often enough i will get beat by a weaker enemy and slaughter a stronger one. Can't remember if the skills goes high enough to give you actual numbers, but if it does, you should get that.
I think you're doing something wrong, or playing on a higher difficulty than me. The vague descriptions are quite accurate for me, I'd say.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 01:23 AM   #27
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

So in the current lull (I'm not playing Diablo 3...) I decided to revisit this.

Picked Easy difficult based on my previous experience, and it's well and truly easy - perhaps excessively so. Enemies have half health and you get 4x the amount of gold as Normal - it's basically like having unlimited gold, I'm well over 1 mil at just the first stage in the game. I think it's good that the Easy moniker is accurate, and if extrapolate the experience to guess how difficult it'd be like on Normal - I'm glad I didn't pick Normal; but still, the game needs another a difficulty between the two. There's far too big a gap between Easy and Normal.

Still, I'm enjoying it even though it's easy. Troops are still limited, so even though you have the gold to replenish your army after every battle if you wanted, you still can't roll into fights above your level and lose your troops each time or you'll eventually deplete everything there is to buy.

That tutorial though - seriously still the worst tutorial ever. Also, the appears to be quite long. I've already sunk 18 hours in it and I'm seeing reports of 60-80s to finish. I'm not sure it's going to hold my interest that long - let alone the expansions/sequels I picked up at the same time (package deal on sale).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:11 PM   #28
CHIPS
The Overmind

I am planning to pick up this series. I can get the Platinum collection for $5. (Legend, Princess and Crossworlds.) Or I can get the Ultimate collection for $10. (include Dark Side, North and Fire+Ice)

I read that the later games aren't all that great (Dark Side, North and Fire+Ice). Should I bother with them? Or should I save $5 for other games and just get the Platinum collection?

Old Jan 19, 2017, 07:32 AM   #29
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

armoured princess and crossworlds were goode, at the very least get them too.

EDIT: nm, re read post.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 09:34 AM   #30
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Get them all. Start with Legends. The later games force you to change tactics and armies so they don't get stale.

That said, each game is easily 20 hours or more.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote