Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Melhisedek
Radeon Northern Islands

Melhisedek is still being judged by the masses

Default Need help with King's Bounty

Hello there folks,
never played similar type of game before (tactical strategy I guess it is called) but game was cheap and highly recommended here and on a few boards I frequent.

I updated to 1.7 and started out as a Paladin. Am level 2 and while trying to finish the first quest in the game (getting 400 of those thingies for the king) I got destroyed. Lost 30-40 peasants, 3 priests and 8 swordsmen, think a few archers to. What is a "normal" procedure during and after battle? Do you go and replenish your forces after each battle? Should I focus on some units and not on others? Should I use my spells sparingly or do they replenish after each battle? Well any help is welcome.

I like the look of the game and the music is beautiful would really like to get into this one.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:51 AM   #2
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

It's been a little while since I played but in general I think:

Save before EVERY battle. If you lose too many of your forces and can't afford to replace them you hamper yourself. Also take note of the fact that there is usually a limit to how many creatures can be purchased, so try and protect the rarer ones if you can.

I replenished after every battle, and I think I used magic quite a lot, you can get a skill which regenerates your mana over time otherwise there is a building on the map you can visit to instantly recharge. I think it's a wizard tower or something.

I started playing the game on impossible, which I would not recommend as it started off fairly challenging only to truly become pretty much impossible later on. At least for me as a first time player.

As for which units to focus on I think that's entirely up to you. I know I tried to keep an all-human army for a while at the start but really it doesn't matter, although I think some races dislike eachother or something, like undead will demoralise the rest of your army and stuff like that. Other than that you can mix and match however you like.

Hope that helps, enjoy the game!

"A bachelor is a man who comes to work each day from a different direction"
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melhisedek View Post

I updated to 1.7 and started out as a Paladin. Am level 2 and while trying to finish the first quest in the game (getting 400 of those thingies for the king) I got destroyed. Lost 30-40 peasants, 3 priests and 8 swordsmen, think a few archers to. What is a "normal" procedure during and after battle? Do you go and replenish your forces after each battle? Should I focus on some units and not on others? Should I use my spells sparingly or do they replenish after each battle? Well any help is welcome.
what difficulty are you using?

from my experience, mage is the best class for higher dificulties, because with the magic spell spam you can really minimise losses in your army. If you rely too much on massive armies you might run out of troops by the end of the game, or so i hear. i just turtle and spam magic, and then engage in combat when they get in range.

I was able to win every battle even when i would be slighly outnumbered, if my scouting skill said anything more then slightly outnumbered i would go replenish my forces, otherwise i would lose too many troops
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
what difficulty are you using?

from my experience, mage is the best class for higher dificulties, because with the magic spell spam you can really minimise losses in your army. If you rely too much on massive armies you might run out of troops by the end of the game, or so i hear. i just turtle and spam magic, and then engage in combat when they get in range.

I was able to win every battle even when i would be slighly outnumbered, if my scouting skill said anything more then slightly outnumbered i would go replenish my forces, otherwise i would lose too many troops

Yeah, I kind of wish I had gone a mage. The leadership idea was an interesting idea to try and balance them out but the difference isn't nearly enough . Still, paladin was fun. Can't go wrong with the ressurection spell

"A bachelor is a man who comes to work each day from a different direction"
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:15 AM   #5
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I had a lot of fun with the game: great story, graphics, and music. I just finished with Paladin last night. Wow, that game was long!

The only limit to spell casting is your mana pool. Mana replenishes when you are not in battles. Some skills replenish mana during battles but not very much (like +6 per turn max.) so I think runes are best spent elsewhere.

I always replenish units to full strength after battles. If I need more funds I look around for coins and treasure.

My army usually consisted of one or two archer units, one or two mele units, a slow but hard-hitting unit (polar bears ftw), a holy unit (like priests or inquisitors; really helpful against undead) and a specialized unit (black/green/red dragons at the end). Pay attention to unit morale as it affects the army's performance. For this reason it is good to invest in the tolerance skill if you want undead or demons in your army.

Enjoy the game! It was a lot of fun!