Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Default King's Bounty: The Legend

The game looks to be too similar to Heroes of Might & Magic to me, and being a HoMM addict I cannot pass it up. My question is: has anyone played this already and, if so, what do you think of it?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:57 PM   #2
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I swear i saw a thread on this game a few days ago, you might wanna search for it
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 06:08 PM   #3
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
The game looks to be too similar to Heroes of Might & Magic to me, and being a HoMM addict I cannot pass it up. My question is: has anyone played this already and, if so, what do you think of it?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26594

Quote:
Just got a hold of this game and been trying it out, very Blizzard-like visuals and gameplay seems decent. Not far enough to give any type of fair views yet, but I will say the battles are nothing great.

Quote:
This game is insanely addictive. Tons of interesting locations and quests.

The combat difficulty is one of the most well done. Playing on Hard really feels hard, comparable or even harder than the Dragon Slayer campaign in HOMM3: Armageddon's Blade. Playing as a mage is pretty fun so far - your spells are extremely devastating, yet your army is rather small, so you really need to cleverly make use of the troops special abilities to hinder your opponents.

And believe it or not, there are tons of C & C here. 90% of the quests can be solved in completely different ways with very different outcomes. In many quests one of the most direct way to solve it is to straight out kill the quest giver, lol.
Quote:
Combat is quite challenging. If you say hard feels like really hard then you should try Impossible (not sure how it is translated in the English version). In the beginning it feels so right for a hard-core cRPG gamer, but halfway through the game it starts to get extremely hard but in a most irritating way. It's not that I'm criticizing, I'm just warning you: the last difficulty will ruin your game experience. Your hero progresses in a certain way and at specific speed but the game is cheating. Not that the AI performs better, but the enemy simply begins to outnumber you, eventually vastly. Of course, you can always try the "hit and run" tactic (killed monsters don't respawn) but it is time-consuming
Quote:
It's insanely large, difficult and filled with neat content and great little touches. I never expected there to be diploimatic solutions to quests in a game like this, but there are. It's also really difficult and I'm getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis. I'm very pleasantly surprised with this game so far.
Quote:
This game is freaking fantastic.

I have been playing it solidly for 5 days now (at least 20 hours, possibly 30) and I doubt I am half way through the game. I find it hard to stop playing.

I am playing on Hard, and it's Hard but not impossibly so.

I can't recommend this highly enough for anyone who liked Disciples 2. Really this is a worthy replacement for Disciples 3.
Quote:
Got the full version a couple of days ago, its very addictive with a good level of difficulty and no handholding - holy crap did I get a beating when trying to remove a curse from an artifact.
How's that?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:23 PM   #4
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

That's exciting!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:34 PM   #5
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Getting good reviews too. It's from the same guys that made Space Rangers
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Xytech
Radeon R700

Xytech is still being judged by the masses

Looks damn good.
Edit: Before I play it, is it worth starting on impossible, or just hard? I normally would go withi mpossible, I just know that in some of these games when they say impossible they aren't kidding...
Powercolor X1950 PRO 512mb
Asus P5LD2 SE
Antec TX1050B
500watt Smartpower 2.0
Creative audigy 4
HP 1130 (21 inch) X2
Xytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:47 AM   #7
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Don't start on anything beyond Normal!

Game's difficulty is punishing! I started on Normal myself and sometimes I think about re-starting on Easy. And I'm a seasoned veteran with 10 years of HoM&M under my belt.

Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Xytech
Radeon R700

Well... I have been playing on impossible. Its hard, not too bad though, I'm level 6. Just means you need to play smart, probably easier with Mage (who I am as well)
Also a seasoned HoM&M dude

Edit: To put things in perspective, the giant turtle thing has 4000 hp...
Asus P5LD2 SE
Antec TX1050B
500watt Smartpower 2.0
Creative audigy 4
HP 1130 (21 inch) X2

Last edited by Xytech : Oct 3, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:55 AM   #9
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

I was going to try this myself but was a bit unsure when i saw the World of Wankcraft-esque style of graphics. Let us know your opinions PiXXar (i trust yours more than others being a HoMM veteran myself).
Old Oct 4, 2008, 05:45 PM   #10
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

So yeah....this game is going to make my fail my exams. Playing as a paladin on impossible, it's so much freaking fun. Except unlike heroes of might and magic, there's no turns on the adventure map, so you kind of just keep on going and you forget about the time. If you enjoyed HoMM I'd definately give this a shot, it's a bit more RPG'ish than heroes because there are no towns or resources (except for money, but you have to manage that carefully) and you complete quests to get experience as well as doing battle and things like that.

So far, I can't praise this game enough

"A bachelor is a man who comes to work each day from a different direction"
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:32 AM   #11
Xytech
Radeon R700

I don't think its possible to overstate how good this game is.
Asus P5LD2 SE
Antec TX1050B
500watt Smartpower 2.0
Creative audigy 4
HP 1130 (21 inch) X2
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

You guys talked me into it. I picked up a copy while I was out today.

For a game everyone's describing as having "WoW" graphics, it has some pretty high system GPU min requirements "Nvidia GF7800 with 256MB". I think you came max at WoW at 1680x1050 on a 6800GT.

It's installed but I have a movie and then a football game to watch before I can try it.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:07 AM   #13
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoLo View Post
I was going to try this myself but was a bit unsure when i saw the World of Wankcraft-esque style of graphics. Let us know your opinions PiXXar (i trust yours more than others being a HoMM veteran myself).
This game is worse than crack! Run away, far away!

No, seriously, I spent some time with it and I love it so far. It's challenging, but so much fun! Magic does not play as big of a role as in HoMM, but that could be because I am playing as paladin. Tons of side quests, large world and a variety of enemies to fight. Combat is extremely similar to HoMM, so you should feel right at home. I do feel that hero's abilities are somewhat dull and not so exciting to upgrade them. One major difference is that enemy units do not get larger with time as in HoMM, but on the other side you don't breed new units in castles either and can run out of them with time. Oh, and you don't have your castle(s) here. No chance to hire multiple heroes, at least not so far. You do have some weird Cage of Chaos(?) that seems to contain several armies, but they do not choose to obey me just yet. We'll see how that develops. And you can fight bosses! Large creatures such as Giant turtle or octopus! How exciting is that! No ability to train units, and size of your army is controlled by your leadership points. Great addition to keep the game balanced.

The only negative point is the story. Too much dull text to read in my opinion. I would have liked if they put in some cut-scenes instead. Side quests can get repetitive(yet some are extremely rewarding), but as far as you follow the main quest you should be fine.

Pick it up, you'll have tons of great time with it. A word of warning, it is very addictive.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:25 PM   #14
wunderbar
Rage3D Veteran

wunderbar is still being judged by the masses

it's pretty sad that the GOTY hardly gets 10 posts on this forum
wunderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:46 AM   #15
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
it's pretty sad that the GOTY hardly gets 10 posts on this forum
That's how it is on this forum and in life in general. Mainstream dominates.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:02 AM   #16
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
That's how it is on this forum and in life in general. Mainstream dominates.
The game is not out yet in most european countries, depending on where you live you might have to wait until november for the retail copy(not everyone wants to buy the gamersgate version).

It will never get the same attention as the mainstream game, but people might be more willing to talk more about it when you can actually buy a physical copy of the game.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:25 AM   #17
Phanstern
Radeon R100

Phanstern is still being judged by the masses

quick dumb question:

I have finished the training part of the game, and started roaming around the city... How come your hero is not on the battlefield, like he was in the training missions???
Phanstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:32 AM   #18
Xytech
Radeon R700

He wasn't in training missions, you just got horsemen then. Will take a long time before you can get them!
Asus P5LD2 SE
Antec TX1050B
500watt Smartpower 2.0
Creative audigy 4
HP 1130 (21 inch) X2
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:42 AM   #19
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xytech View Post
He wasn't in training missions, you just got horsemen then. Will take a long time before you can get them!
Speaking of horsemen, I defeated the army guarding the tent (first map, where king's castle is located) and was able to buy a total of.....9 of them.

Are there any more in the game? I'd like to dump my priests or bowmen and replace them with horsemen, but 9 units won't do.

Also, when do you get access to the second reserve spot to place units in?

Any other places where I can buy Archmages? Other than Darion that is. I'd like to stick with humans if possible, but running back to refill my army after nearly every battle gets annoying.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:42 AM   #20
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
The game is not out yet in most european countries, depending on where you live you might have to wait until november for the retail copy(not everyone wants to buy the gamersgate version).

It will never get the same attention as the mainstream game, but people might be more willing to talk more about it when you can actually buy a physical copy of the game.
This forum is mostly North American where the game has been out for some time now.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:04 AM   #21
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
This forum is mostly North American where the game has been out for some time now.
That might be true, but the actual buyers of this game will mostly be compromised of Europeans(pc gaming is not dead here), so there's a chance that those people will actually contribute to the discussions of this game when they can actually buy it.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:52 AM   #22
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

Sounds good! Definetely going to give this a go, maybe at the weekend.

Also, how is the music/SFX?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:15 PM   #23
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoLo View Post
Also, how is the music/SFX?
Music is decent. Typical for your fantasy RPG game, but can get annoying with time (although I say this after I spent hours and hours in a row playing this game). Quite similar to HoMM.

Sound effects are non existent pretty much. There are no voice dialogues in this game, so the only sounds you'll hear are those of your units, spells, etc. Very sub-par in my opinion and something that could have propelled this game onto another level if only it was dedicated more time.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:29 PM   #24
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xytech View Post
Edit: To put things in perspective, the giant turtle thing has 4000 hp...
Just noticed this.

Did you see the Spider with 25,000 HP?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:09 PM   #25
KiLLaH
Radeon R420

KiLLaH is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy

waiting for release here in sweden, october 31st
KiLLaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:14 PM   #26
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

This is a Russian made game. Why delay its European release? Was it already released in Russia at least?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:44 AM   #27
Xytech
Radeon R700

Quote:
Just noticed this.

Did you see the Spider with 25,000 HP?
Haven't come across it yet... gulp...
Asus P5LD2 SE
Antec TX1050B
500watt Smartpower 2.0
Creative audigy 4
HP 1130 (21 inch) X2
Old Oct 9, 2008, 03:22 PM   #28
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Just kicked Giant Spider's arse! At level 17 with full army I had no problems at all.

In my estimation, I'm about 75-80% done with the game. I cleared three maps completely (starting, islands and dwarven lands). Now I got elven map plus some other island (no access to it yet) to go.

This game is all about grinding it out it seems. A lot of attack and run back to refill your army that one must utilize early into every map. Coming back later on for a cleanup (I like to eliminate every foe on every map) and you notice how enemies become a breeze, because you're much stronger.

Once you get access to Rage of Spirits it becomes considerably easier. Quickly bump them up 5-7 levels and you got a very powerful addition to your spells (mine suck by the way).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:57 AM   #29
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Once you get access to Rage of Spirits it becomes considerably easier. Quickly bump them up 5-7 levels and you got a very powerful addition to your spells (mine suck by the way).
Yeah I love the spirits of rage . Just got the ice woman recently and her ice-ball thing is so great. You just roll it across the map into thier archers and it kills them dead.

Also why the hell is this thread so short. This is such a fantastic game!

"A bachelor is a man who comes to work each day from a different direction"
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 01:35 AM   #30
Xytech
Radeon R700

Quote:
Just kicked Giant Spider's arse! At level 17 with full army I had no problems at all.

In my estimation, I'm about 75-80% done with the game. I cleared three maps completely (starting, islands and dwarven lands). Now I got elven map plus some other island (no access to it yet) to go.

This game is all about grinding it out it seems. A lot of attack and run back to refill your army that one must utilize early into every map. Coming back later on for a cleanup (I like to eliminate every foe on every map) and you notice how enemies become a breeze, because you're much stronger.

The spider has 50k hp in my game...
Asus P5LD2 SE
Antec TX1050B
500watt Smartpower 2.0
Creative audigy 4
HP 1130 (21 inch) X2