Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:08 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I believe Geekbench also uses AVX which is where 11900k would gain such a large advantage.

Personally, I find it hard to believe Intel would release it if it were slower than last gen, but who knows..
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:17 PM   #152
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I think it'll be faster in single-thread for sure, but there's no way they're making up enough IPC to negate the 2 less cores in multi-thread. I don't see the chip being much better of an OCer compared to the 10900K either; single-core boost is still 5.3Ghz.

I'm curious how it'll handle overclocking. Maybe that will be a spot where RKL surpasses Comet Lake.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:07 AM   #153
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I bet it's already pushed close to its max.

Cores don't scale perfectly so they likely need in the region of 15-20% IPC to make up the difference. I think it'll fall slightly short, apart from AVX workloads where it'll beat 10900k.

In anything using 8 cores or less, it should be faster, otherwise what's the point?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 14, 2021, 08:22 AM   #154
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Main benefits of OCing are removing the Turbo boost time limits and Power limits. Then crank the bitch up.

I'm expecting it to OC decently since there's 2 less cores that need to be binned. I've noticed that many 10900Ks that are mediocre OCers seem to have one core that holds back the rest. I think that's part of the reason Intel allowed the mainstream platform to use per-core OCing and OCTVB.

I agree, should be faster in 8core/16thread of course, but we're seeing games start to use more than 16threads, and that's where the 11900K is going to start faltering.

The main benefit will be if people can reliably hit 5.3Ghz all-core and make up the two less cores with IPC and clock-speed, but I don't see that happening.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Feb 14, 2021, 03:48 PM   #155
demo
space cadet

I haven't really seen games that benefit from more than 16 threads but I stand to be corrected.

In other news, it seems all ASUS Z490 boards lack gen4 M.2 capability...
Old Feb 14, 2021, 03:57 PM   #156
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I believe Cyberpunk uses more than 16threads. I'm sure it'll become more common this year as well.

Not surprised regarding ASUS boards. I'm super happy with my MSI MEG ACE; won't be going ASUS for a good while, or until MSI ****s up. I can't believe they jacked the prices on the Z590 MAXIMUS HERO to $499. That's a ****ing $299-349 board at best. Bottom of the barrel Maximus board for $500.. ASUS can get bent.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:25 AM   #157
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Personally, I find it hard to believe Intel would release it if it were slower than last gen, but who knows..
Because they were poorly mismanaged. Hence new CEO. It would have been better to scrap Rocketlake desktop and focus on undercutting AMD with the 10 series since those chips are decently fast. But it's too late now and the chip has probably been in full productions for the past several months. This makes undercutting with comet lake difficult since you would be undercutting Rocket Lake too.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #158
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The rumored prices are not looking too favorable for RKL, with the 11900K seemingly coming in north of $500. Intel has about 10-15% performance disadvantage to make up vs Ryzen 5000. Let's say they come out 10% ahead, they're still down four cores vs the 5900X. It just doesn't look like a very good buy to me at the high end.

The stuff going up against the 5800X may look more favorable.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:27 AM   #159
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote