Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Some n00b in a Rustang tried to race me

I put him in his place. haha, hotshot in his '06 Rustang thinks he's the ****, but he just got taken out by a 2.2L Saturn

The race was from 60 to 120 (I pegged the odometer). I knew he wanted to play as we were getting on the freeway because I heard him downshift and saw him creeping up to make a move once we'd gotten on the freeway. The person in front of me was only going over one lane so I dropped it into 3rd @ 60 and punched it, using the force of the acceleration and the natural curve of the freeway to slingshot me out of the turn right into the apex of the curve. He kept up with me (didn't fall behind more than 5 cars) through 3rd, but once I shifted into 4th to tackle the corner I was gone.

Raped his ass. Wasn't even close. V6 Rustangs

Took out a ricer in an Integra on another freeway using the same tactic yesterday. His girlfriend must think he's a loser now
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

so i don't usually do this, but the other day i was driving my moms durango, just a 4.8l v8 i believe, not the big 5.9 one... so i'm cruising on the highway at about 70, and i see a red cobalt ss merging on the highway like a typical kid in a car with a big wing would... so i just floor the durango, and stayed side by side with this kid in this cobalt ss up to 110... thats sad, that a supercharged 4 cylinder "sports" car( it feels funny typing that) can't even outpace a small v8 durango...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Soong
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Soong is still being judged by the masses

Way to endanger your self and the public. Drunk drivers usually TRY to drive safely even if they can’t manage it.

This is just an opinion not mean to be degrading or offensive. I wish no harm to come to anybody and hope everybody lives happy lives filled with rabbits and flowers.
Soong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:36 PM   #4
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm not even going to pretend like my car is a sports car. It's not. It just happens to be decent enough that I can out-drive most anyone, unless it's purely an HP race in a straight line. Even then I'll still take out the average ricer.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooung View Post
Way to endanger your self and the public. Drunk drivers usually TRY to drive safely even if they can’t manage it.

This is just an opinion not mean to be degrading or offensive. I wish no harm to come to anybody and hope everybody lives happy lives filled with rabbits and flowers.
sure you do. Which is why you want a button to kill the world with.

I don't put anyone in danger with my driving. Break the law - yes. I don't drive dangerously.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

my pathfinder has some pretty good getup too, though i easily got bested by a cobra the other night was going 45(actually going the speed limit lol), and i saw this mustang coming up, big burly exhaust, super wide tires and rims, so i give it gas and he downshifts and by the time he let the clutch out it was already over
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I remember a similar event back when I had my ex-racebike 87 CBR600F Hurricane. It was somewhat laughable.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:51 PM   #8
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

No one else think it's funny that some guy in a supposed sports car got his ass handed to him by some guy that just happens to know how to drive? I mean, I know the driver makes all the difference in the world, but if we look at the power difference alone he should've at least been able to keep up... We're talking country mile by the time I ran out 4th, and that wasn't until 120

2004 Saturn Ion 5spd
HP 143
Torque 152
Weight 2716 (call it 3000 with me and the amount of gas I had in the tank)

2006 Mustang V6 5spd
HP 210
Torque 240
Weight 3373 + 160 lb driver + x amount of gas (115 is the max) call it 3600

so he's got 67 HP on me, 88 lb-ft torque, and I've got about a 600 pound advantage on him. Yeah, he should've blown my doors off. People get scared when they ride with me because I drive on instinct. I drive my car to adapt to the situation at all times. I drive like I'm in a frickin race. Not to say I throw the car around corners or burnout unnecessarily (yes, I can burnout through 1st and into 2nd with this car, without flooring it). I should be a race car driver
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:55 PM   #9
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

^^ say hello to your spider gears for me.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:56 PM   #10
Drakii
Grandmasta D

Drakii is still being judged by the masses

v6 stangs have decent power for what they are... but seriously, if you have a v6 stang..dont race it unless it's supercharged.
And, yes ladies..a really..really big weiner.
Drakii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:57 PM   #11
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It comes down to alot of driver skill... You had skill on the slight power advantage he had.

Its really that simple.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

When I was a teenager I took my dad's convertible 1978 Triumph TR-7 out for a spin. Met up w/ some friends and one of them challenged me to a little race w/ his convertible Rabbit. It was just me in my car and he had three passengers. I nearly freaking stalled the car when I dumped the clutch and he smoked me. Talk about embarrassing lol.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:04 PM   #13
ADVERSiTY
lolwtf

ADVERSiTY is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
It comes down to alot of driver skill... You had skill on the slight power advantage he had.

Its really that simple.
Plus the other dude most likely had a bigger wang, which means added weight. Should negate any horsepower advantage. Then it just comes down to the other dude not dirving so well because of his bigger wang, it's an interference. With that in mind, SH should be the obvious "winner", in the "race".
ADVERSiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:04 PM   #14
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
No one else think it's funny that some guy in a supposed sports car
Mustangs aren't sports cars. They just aren't.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:07 PM   #15
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVERSiTY View Post
Plus the other dude most likely had a bigger wang, which means added weight. Should negate any horsepower advantage. Then it just comes down to the other dude not dirving so well because of his bigger wang, it's an interference. With that in mind, SH should be the obvious "winner", in the "race".
I am not a ricer. I despise rice. I have a stock American car. How am I a ricer? The other guy was driving another stock American car.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:10 PM   #16
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
so i don't usually do this, but the other day i was driving my moms durango, just a 4.8l v8 i believe, not the big 5.9 one... so i'm cruising on the highway at about 70, and i see a red cobalt ss merging on the highway like a typical kid in a car with a big wing would... so i just floor the durango, and stayed side by side with this kid in this cobalt ss up to 110... thats sad, that a supercharged 4 cylinder "sports" car( it feels funny typing that) can't even outpace a small v8 durango...
Are you sure it was supercharged? The Cobalt SS can also be purchased without one...
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:13 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Are you sure it was supercharged? The Cobalt SS can also be purchased without one...
wtf why? that doesn't make sense, show me please.

edit: oh **** checked chevy.com, you're right. thats sad... i have no clue now! its still sad that my moms durango that has probably 1000lbs on that car, kept up with it...

edit2: and wtf the non supercharged engine is bigger than the supercharged one... the naturally aspirated one could easily be set up to have the power that the supercharged one has, from the factory, why the gimmick?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:14 PM   #18
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I put him in his place. haha, hotshot in his '06 Rustang thinks he's the ****, but he just got taken out by a 2.2L Saturn

The race was from 60 to 120 (I pegged the odometer). I knew he wanted to play as we were getting on the freeway because I heard him downshift and saw him creeping up to make a move once we'd gotten on the freeway. The person in front of me was only going over one lane so I dropped it into 3rd @ 60 and punched it, using the force of the acceleration and the natural curve of the freeway to slingshot me out of the turn right into the apex of the curve. He kept up with me (didn't fall behind more than 5 cars) through 3rd, but once I shifted into 4th to tackle the corner I was gone.

Raped his ass. Wasn't even close. V6 Rustangs

Took out a ricer in an Integra on another freeway using the same tactic yesterday. His girlfriend must think he's a loser now
Where do you live? Id love to test this first hand (and im not stock by the way) 250hp crank 210rwhp.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:14 PM   #19
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

I always thought the SS was the top-end model and was supercharged from the factory...
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:15 PM   #20
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Where do you live? Id love to test this first hand (and im not stock by the way) 250hp crank 210rwhp.
I live 2000 miles away from you in the Twin Cities man. If you were nearby I'd love to take you on in the twisties. I've no doubt your car is faster than mine in a straight line.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:20 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
you shouldn't quote #'s until you put it on the dyno. you might be disappointed when you actually get it on one.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:30 PM   #22
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
you shouldn't quote #'s until you put it on the dyno. you might be disappointed when you actually get it on one.
That is after a dyno I did at the powerhouse place down in PA. Im getting one of their turbo's here soon and wanted to see where I was at first. http://www.powerhouse411.com
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:03 PM   #23
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I always thought the SS was the top-end model and was supercharged from the factory...
You thought wrong. Well, you were half wrong at least. The SS comes in two flavors..heh.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:37 PM   #24
rob75383
Venture Bros.

rob75383 is still being judged by the masses

My old forum used to temp ban folks who posted street race stories.
Its fun to talk about and brag, but you never hear stories like-
I got pwnd by a hot blonde in a cavalier z28.
My opinion, is to race the 1/4 mile, or between the cones in a roped off course.
I'll admit to racing folks in the past, but it aint worth it. Yeah, it fun, most stupid and dangerous things are, but I've got a familiy now, so no racing unless its at the track with a rollcage in the car.
rob75383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:41 PM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That is after a dyno I did at the powerhouse place down in PA. Im getting one of their turbo's here soon and wanted to see where I was at first. http://www.powerhouse411.com
good, then you'd have a dyno sheet to share with us.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:42 PM   #26
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
I remember a similar event back when I had my ex-racebike 87 CBR600F Hurricane. It was somewhat laughable.
Ahh nice taste.

I just bought a '92 CBR600F2.

It is the same way for me, will still beat any car on the roads here.

0-60 mph in 3 seconds.

Damn fun.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:17 PM   #27
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Technically they are.
What Chevy did was bring out the SS first (its called SS 'Supercharged', 'supercharged' being the key word here) in addition to the regular cobalt, so they could get a toehold into the sport compact market with a good offering.
The next year they introduced the midrange (which is plain jane SS) to cover the gap that the first two cars leave (lowish end cobalt, then jumps to high end SS superchargeD).
The SS supercharged and SS regular look ALMOST exactly the same. The difference being that the SS regular is available on the 4 door sedan. And the SS coupes have less ground effects stuff and smaller tires than the SS supercharged.

So simply put:
Cobalt LS/LT > Cobalt SS > Cobalt SS supercharged.

This is why the whole damn thing gets confusing because as soon as you mention SS everyone automatically assumes the supercharged version.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:26 PM   #28
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

shaidar, just wait until you get your G. All that tourqe will make you drool.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:27 PM   #29
Elysian
SCAATSJW

the super charged one isn't exactly "high end" lol, its pretty piss poor to be honest, a saab motor with lower compression and less boost, less power, put in whats basically a cavalier...
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:57 PM   #30
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
shaidar, just wait until you get your G. All that tourqe will make you drool.
Tell me about it. 306HP @ 7500 RPM and 260 lb/ft of torque (don't recall rpm). All that from a 3.5L V6. That thing's got balls. Balls and then some. Man, that's muscle car power right there, from a frickin 3.5L N/A V6!

Also, I just noticed that Nissan has registered the trademark G37. There's a bit of speculation floating around right now that the G37 will be the new G coupe