Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Blackberry PlayBook vs Moto Xoom

They seem similarly specced. Dual core procs, nice screens, 1gb ram.

Which would you choose and why?

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Already chose the Xoom. 7" 16gb for $500 is too much. The Galaxy Tabs and Lynch G-slate are MUCH better deals than the Playbook, IMO.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:47 PM   #3
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

I wouldnt choose either, but if those were the only two choices, I wouldnt choose the Playbook. Seems you need to own a Blackberry to get the most out of it.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

xoom, playbook does not impress.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunEeE View Post
I wouldnt choose either, but if those were the only two choices, I wouldnt choose the Playbook. Seems you need to own a Blackberry to get the most out of it.
RIM has said that the playbook will run all Andorid applications, the validity of that statement has yet to been seen though.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:29 AM   #6
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

might want to look at the next generation tablet that comes with keyboard Dock.
Altho it is running a win 7, that should be good enough for everyday usage.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/09/a...blet-hands-on/
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Mar 23, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
might want to look at the next generation tablet that comes with keyboard Dock.
Altho it is running a win 7, that should be good enough for everyday usage.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/09/a...blet-hands-on/
The problem with the Windows 7 devices is they lack 3G, LTE, WiMax or any other data service. Wifi is great for home but a mobile device should be able to connect to the internet any where. Also just teething to a cellphone is a poor option simply because it wipes out your phones battery.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:22 AM   #8
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
RIM has said that the playbook will run all Andorid applications, the validity of that statement has yet to been seen though.
I was referring to Playbook users needing a BlackBerry (and access to a BIS/BES server) to enable contact/calendar sync and BBM on their Playbook. You won't be able to access those services if you don't own a Blackberry phone. I'm eager to see the first reviews because there is a lot of mystery around the Playbook.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Pretty sure thats still rumor at this point.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunEeE View Post
I'm eager to see the first reviews because there is a lot of mystery around the Playbook.
Indeed. It has to deliver or BB will be hurting even more.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:52 PM   #11
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

had a lot of area businesses preordering the playbook and only 4 preorders for the xoom. so far is 64-4 playbook

Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal View Post
had a lot of area businesses preordering the playbook and only 4 preorders for the xoom. so far is 64-4 playbook
So?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:04 PM   #13
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

you can tell it's a very 'small business' area.

though, those 4 that purchased the xoom are the only ones that asked questions about tablets in general and compared/contrasted features and the overall size.

also: our demo model for the playbook was DOA, so

Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'm not surprised. Businesses have mainly focused on the Palm and Blackberry products for years. For that type of use, the Playbook is probably going to work well.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:06 AM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

An interesting feature...

Quote:
Using a secure Bluetooth connection, the PlayBook will “bridge” with a BlackBerry to access corporate or consumer email, address book, calendar and other features including BlackBerry Messenger.

When the link is broken, all that data is instantly wiped.

The company has set up this relationship deliberately to pitch PlayBook to corporations and other security-conscious enterprises that will not need to verify the PlayBook’s credentials; it will effectively not exist on their radar.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1942329/

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:26 PM   #16
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal View Post
They seem similarly specced. Dual core procs, nice screens, 1gb ram.

Which would you choose and why?
Hard to tell really, we'll have to wait until reviewers feed us some hard facts before deciding. But from what i can see so far i think this battle will be just like the BB phones compared to their competition. Leader as business phones but lacking media/user robustness. Not that it wont be able to do any of that stuff, but it may lack the overall satisfaction one may get from the other devices.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:45 PM   #17
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Playbook yeeeaaaa
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:23 PM   #18
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

I am waiting for HP tablet with WebOS to be reviewed before I can say which one I like out of Win7, IOS, Android, RIM, etc...

I have a Win7 tablet/laptop hybrid and I love it. However, its heavy as hell.
Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming |Ryzen R7 2700X |16GB DDRR DRAM 3000 |MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB | 6TB NVMe/HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro / OpenSuse
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:00 PM   #19
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

i got to try out the playbook bridge connection, it is a really neat feature that worked as advertised, if it is a little cumbersome.

and i tried to get minecraft to work on it because of the java support, but no dice.

Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:32 PM   #20
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

I believe Android apps and Rim apps (BBM) being used on each other platforms is being worked on but not actually possible, yet. I could be mistaken tho, but i believe thats what i heard somewhere. If thats the case then it could be a neat venture.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:44 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
I believe Android apps and Rim apps (BBM) being used on each other platforms is being worked on but not actually possible, yet. I could be mistaken tho, but i believe thats what i heard somewhere. If thats the case then it could be a neat venture.
There's another thread, they officially announced it today. At least Android apps to RIM. Wouldn't want BB apps on Android.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:32 AM   #22
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So next up will be the BB phones will be able run Android apps, am I right? That would be HUGE!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:32 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/29/b...ndar-and-cont/

No native email, calendar, or contacts app upon launch... thats pretty glaring, a lot bigger a deal than the Xoom lacking Flash or even the SD card.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:31 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

They're not positioning it to compete with their BBs, it's to emphasize the "play" in playbook

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:51 PM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
They're not positioning it to compete with their BBs, it's to emphasize the "play" in playbook
Just really odd that they're leaving out their bread and butter upon launch...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:47 PM   #26
Zero
Sass hole

Enh, it's an experiment with brand image. Also, from what I understand, bridging the playbook with a BB essentially does provide PIM functionality. Smart way to encourage selling more BBs maybe?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:56 PM   #27
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/29/b...ndar-and-cont/

No native email, calendar, or contacts app upon launch... thats pretty glaring, a lot bigger a deal than the Xoom lacking Flash or even the SD card.
BlackBerry PlayBook FAQ confirms native email, calendar and contacts apps, just not at launch

The native app situation on the BlackBerry PlayBook has been one point of contention since the device was first announced, and there's still a fair bit of confusion even now, less than a month from launch. We now have a fairly definitive answer for one key question, however, although it may not be the one you were hoping for. According to an official FAQ provided for a Verizon webinar, the PlayBook will indeed be getting native email, calendar and contacts apps in a "future software update," but you'll have to make do without them initially. That means either relying on the PlayBook's web browser, or using the "Bridge" mode to access the apps on your BlackBerry smartphone. So, the PlayBook may not technically be "reliant" on a BlackBerry, but it is certainly handy to have one around.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:57 PM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Enh, it's an experiment with brand image. Also, from what I understand, bridging the playbook with a BB essentially does provide PIM functionality. Smart way to encourage selling more BBs maybe?
Or a stupid way of selling less Playbooks
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:12 PM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

Time will tell.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"