Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Nov 4, 2020, 08:46 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
I didn't get a single crash in my 26 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash7 View Post
I literally couldn't complete the game without some console commands. Would crash every time at the same place in Interloper.
Are you playing the new beta?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:56 AM   #32
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

No crashes here either, played perfectly, except rim light is a bit rough (white outlines on some edges).
Old Nov 5, 2020, 09:52 AM   #33
Crash7
Radeon R700

Crash7 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
Are you playing the new beta?
Yes, but I haven't gotten to the areas with which I had problems before. Got my fingers crossed.
Crash7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 5, 2020, 09:54 AM   #34
Crash7
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
No crashes here either, played perfectly, except rim light is a bit rough (white outlines on some edges).
I know I'm not alone with this problem. There's a 13 page thread about it in the Steam forums.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:06 AM   #35
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R520

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I know I'm not alone with this problem. There's a 13 page thread about it in the Steam forums.
Turn off MSAA.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 05:41 PM   #36
Crash7
Radeon R700

The source of the problem is already identified. It's not MSAA.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 03:31 PM   #37
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R520

Quote:
The source of the problem is already identified. It's not MSAA.

Potentially, but that fixed it for me when I disabled it in the drivers.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 08:18 PM   #38
Crash7
Radeon R700

Apparently, they did fix the "ed_alloc no free edicts" issue. I just played through Interloper with no issues other than dying a couple of times. And I saw another guy on the Steam forums (the same guy that gave me the console commands to work around the problem originally) mention that the problem had been fixed. But now I know from personal experience that it's been fixed.

I did get a bit of a slow down in Residue Processing in the conveyor belt sequence. That might have been that way before, though. It's been a long time since my original playthrough.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 06:57 PM   #39
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Apparently, they did fix the "ed_alloc no free edicts" issue. I just played through Interloper with no issues other than dying a couple of times. And I saw another guy on the Steam forums (the same guy that gave me the console commands to work around the problem originally) mention that the problem had been fixed. But now I know from personal experience that it's been fixed.

I did get a bit of a slow down in Residue Processing in the conveyor belt sequence. That might have been that way before, though. It's been a long time since my original playthrough.
I think I will wait until the game is out of the latest beta.

I already bought the game but I'll wait a bit longer to play.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:59 PM   #40
Crash7
Radeon R700

Quote:
I think I will wait until the game is out of the latest beta.

I already bought the game but I'll wait a bit longer to play.
Yeah, that'd be my advice. I bought it when 1.0 came out. Gotta say, I was rather disappointed with the developers. A lot of people encountered a game breaking bug (the source of which had been identified) that sat there for several months unpatched. And the devs seemed to be too busy taking bows and patting themselves on the back to fix it. The only excuse I can come up with for it taking that long to be fixed is that they might have been reluctant to break players' saved games.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:41 PM   #41
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I added this to my wishlist since they finally finished it. Although I do find it a bit ironic that by the time the remake was actually done, it now looks fairly dated itself.

Guess they'll have to start working on another remake to be done in 2030...
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2020, 09:28 AM   #42
Crash7
Radeon R700

Apparently, they released another beta version a couple of days ago. And broke the saved games again.

edit: On the bright side, they seem to have fixed the slow downs in Residue Processing.

Last edited by Crash7 : Nov 27, 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 09:51 PM   #43
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Man, I had fun for most of the levels in this game, but hooooly crap is it getting frustrating. Defnitely an old school game.

"We can't think of anything else to add this late in the game and are out of creativity. Let's just throw every enemy we have at them all at once, add in a bunch of pointless jumping and tedious puzzles, then do it for hours on end with very few clues on what to do to solve some of them"

As cool as Xen is, it started to get old after a while. They are just way overdoing it. Interloper though? Man...I haven't been this frustrated in a game for quite some time. It's just terrible and goes on forever.

/rant

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2021, 09:34 AM   #44
Crash7
Radeon R700

Like a lot of games from back in the day, you're expected to make copious use of the quicksave key. You kind of get out of the habit of that, what with modern games and their checkpoints. I agree that Xen in general and Interloper in particular were too long. I got sick of looking at them. And for me, Interloper was quite buggy at first. They seemed to have fixed that recently, though.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 07:02 PM   #45
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They went crazy over the top with Xen. Should have been half as long. That barrel segment was just horrible. But it was also horrible in the original so they captured the spirit.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2021, 09:00 PM   #46
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

When I got to Xen in the original I just ended up quitting.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2021, 09:47 AM   #47
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I beat the game yesterday. I give it an 8/10 overall, it really was quite good. But Xen and Interloper were just way overdone. The barrel segment in Interloper was the worst.

Like Crash mentioned, copious use of the save function gets you through. It doesn't make it any better though, it still loooooong. It's just nothing special to look at, which doesn't help at all.

Good remake though, otherwise.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:02 AM   #48
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Is this worth indulging in? I have had it on my wishlist for a while and I honestly don’t remember half life anymore. I do remember some stupid portals towards the end and an ugly boss to fight as last fight.

Is this remake a good one?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:09 AM   #49
acroig
Master Mod Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Is this remake a good one?
As remakes go, yes.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:14 PM   #50
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
As remakes go, yes.
It really isnt. Ive gone back and replayed half life 1 a bunch of times over the years and its still great. It has its problems, and a few of them too, but the black mesa "remake" is total ****. It has some ok updated assests, and a lot of hard work put into it, but it has almost no "remakes" in any way. When it comes to gameplay anyway. I pointed out the replays because i wanted to show im not wearing any rose coloured glasses, but the black mesa remake is the first and only time ive not fininished a half life play through.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:01 AM   #51
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
It really isnt. Ive gone back and replayed half life 1 a bunch of times over the years and its still great. It has its problems, and a few of them too, but the black mesa "remake" is total ****. It has some ok updated assests, and a lot of hard work put into it, but it has almost no "remakes" in any way. When it comes to gameplay anyway. I pointed out the replays because i wanted to show im not wearing any rose coloured glasses, but the black mesa remake is the first and only time ive not fininished a half life play through.

Respectful but complete disagreement. I think it did a great job of retaining the play style while updating it where it needed. I had a really good time with it and while Xen was longer than the original, I didn't hate it like I did in the original. Also, that final battle is money.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:55 AM   #52
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post

It's been a few years since I replayed HL or HL source but my feelings were pretty much the same. It captured much of HL but the flow of the original gameplay wasn't there. I had no fun and gave up a bit over half way through.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:29 PM   #53
acroig
Master Mod Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Respectful but complete disagreement. I think it did a great job of retaining the play style while updating it where it needed. I had a really good time with it and while Xen was longer than the original, I didn't hate it like I did in the original. Also, that final battle is money.
I agree with this.

yoz
Old Jan 29, 2021, 08:44 PM   #54
Crash7
Radeon R700

Quote:
Agreed. Xen (Black Mesa version) was too long, but it didn't totally suck like it did in the original.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 04:53 AM   #55
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I thought it was awesome, get off the crack. Or on it. Whatever.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 08:17 AM   #56
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

Is the game out of beta?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 09:50 AM   #57
acroig
Master Mod Troll

Quote:
Is the game out of beta?
Yes, I think so.

yoz
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:38 AM   #58
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

November saw the "final big update" so I'd consider the game complete.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:35 AM   #59
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Woot! Blue Shift mod announced. We should be playing this by 2035!

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 03:28 PM   #60
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Meh blue shift is the only bad half life game and a fair way below the others.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote