Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Default Mafia III Discussion Thread

Take 2: Mafia III to be released in a few Years,

http://translate.google.de/translate...er-nachfolger/

you guys excited?

Last edited by erek : Feb 20, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Not at all. There was a lot of hype around Mafia 2, and it turned out to be a cheap copy of GTA that look and felt like it belongs in a bargain bin.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

WTF is wrong with textures and polycount???
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Sobek
Radeon R700

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

Exactly what Och said.

For anyone who was a big fan of Mafia, Mafia 2 just didn't cut the mustard. Obviously it had it's strong points and was fairly enjoyable, but I have a hard time comparing it in any serious sense to the original game. It was trying to be something it wasn't... ie; GTA clone #90210. Mafia 1 had so much more depth, more interesting characters, a better story and more enjoyable gameplay all round.

Maybe if they have a completely different intent with Mafia 3 (like, "Sorry we screwed up such a potentially fantastic sequel, here's the REAL Mafia 2!"), I'd be more excited. But this just seems to me like a CoD-style quick draw knockoff - get another sequel out as fast as possible to continue where the original abruptly left off, as cheaply and quickly as possible. Games like that lack soul.

So nah, not excited. Quite the opposite; I'm sad.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

I really liked Mafia 2 even if it didn't meet the expectations set by the original Mafia, so I'm looking forward to Mafia 3 in hopes that they'll do a better job next time. What I liked most about Mafia 2 was the atmosphere and storyline.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:14 PM   #6
zodiak
YAWK YAWK YAWK

zodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC View Post
I think that's a fan-made video.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:53 PM   #7
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Not at all. There was a lot of hype around Mafia 2, and it turned out to be a cheap copy of GTA that look and felt like it belongs in a bargain bin.
Agree partially. The game was fun and I actually ended up completing it. I guess it was very much like if you had taken a very small portion of GTA4 and changed the characters, setting etc. You seem very confined to doing one thing, but I liked it.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:34 PM   #8
erek
Banned

i never beat Mafia I, but it was rather enjoyable and since i already read the storyline there is no point in going back to finish it (right?)

but i enjoyed Mafia II except for the very abrupt ending... seems like the story could actually go on for quite a bit longer... i really didn't expect the ending ...

but i liked how there was the Tommy Angelo mission!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

I enjoyed Mafia 2, the graphics were good, voice acting was good, the story unfolded nicely with a big suprise, the muisc on the radio's is good.

The only things I didn't like was how short it was, and certain gameplay elements from the first game were just missing in 2. Also the DLC is pretty much a borefest.

Look forward to the next one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
King of LimboooO!
Dem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

I think what made Mafia 1 so special was how the directors of the game allowed you to know each character 1 to 1. Like on how you did various missions with them, learn't their thoughts, feelings, weaknesses and their personal history. In Mafia2 they did the opposite. Its was just do this mission with characters you didn't give a rats ass about.

I think what they need to get right in M3 is try not to be like its competitors. They need be different on how GTA3 and M1 were two completely different games. Similar to how SR and GTA4 are two completely different games. They also need to work on their character development. The pacing in M2 was way off. Pacing IMO, is one of the most important aspects in any single player game. Don't give us to much and don't give us too little. But keep it at a pace that makes the story more interesting. In M2 I would of loved to learn more about Vitos mother and especially his sister. Why not have a few missions where you take the mother or sister to work to learn more about them. Or have some missions where you can play as Vito as a kid, learning more about how rough it was for him growing up in a such a tough town. Little things like this makes the story 100 times better. I really hope they get it right on the next one.

Last edited by Qb2k5 : Feb 21, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:06 PM   #11
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I guess i'm in the minority of those who weren't dissapointed by mafia II?

it wasn't a perfect sequel, but a 14 hour action game in the era of 4 hour games is good enough for me.

This is great news, especially since spindoctor had me convinced theres no chance for a sequel... take that spin!
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 PM   #12
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
I really liked Mafia 2 even if it didn't meet the expectations set by the original Mafia, so I'm looking forward to Mafia 3 in hopes that they'll do a better job next time. What I liked most about Mafia 2 was the atmosphere and storyline.
Agreed.

I like the first one more, but I really enjoyed Mafia II also exceptfor the extremely abrupt ending that seemed to come out of nowhere. Looking forward to the next game in the series.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 PM   #13
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
I guess i'm in the minority of those who weren't dissapointed by mafia II?

it wasn't a perfect sequel, but a 14 hour action game in the era of 4 hour games is good enough for me.

This is great news, especially since spindoctor had me convinced theres no chance for a sequel... take that spin!
most games in this era are 4-hours?

sad...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:36 PM   #14
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post

sad...
Not really. A lot of people blaze through games or exaggerate the short playtime. I find most games to be 8-15hours. I consider 8hrs still on the really short side.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:40 PM   #15
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Mafia is dead. It lays buried next to Far Cry.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:48 PM   #16
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

sad...
well its a bit of a hyperbole, but there are a lot of 4-6 hour action games i've played in the past few years, and the majority i've played are sub 8 hours. I would understand if I rushed or played on easy, but 99% of games i pick the most difficult setting and explore everything.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:55 PM   #17
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post

i'm still convinced there's no chance for a sequel . the game didn't have a very positive reception amongst critics or gamers and it didn't sell all that well either after a 6 year development period.

i'd love to be wrong though... the game was great and it deserved more success than it got.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:56 PM   #18
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

I loved Mafia 2. It's not often that I finish a game, but this one I ate up in just a couple weeks. I haven't even come close to getting all the things like the playboys or the wanted posters or getting all the achievements but I think eventually I will go back and do some of that.

I really really really want to know what happened to Vito and Joe. I'm hoping that some DLC comes out to tell that story or that Mafia 3 continues that story.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:10 PM   #19
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:

sad...
Yeah, maybe on iOS. let's not get carried away with our gamer-centric self pity.

The majority of current games average around 8-16 hours, with only the occasional 4-6 hours game thrown in. There are a lot more games that average over 20 hours though and some that average around 60-100s of hours. So all in all, it is all about waiting for a game to hit a price point where the enjoyment of the game outweighs the cost.

In my opinion, oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, TDU2, Burnout Paradise, Civ 5, Dragon Age and other such huge games are more than worth the $50-$60 original price tag and I would have paid even $80 if I had to, given their contribution to my leisure time enjoyment. However, other games that offer a paltry (6-10 hours) but awesome single player experience usually end up being worth about $20-$30 to me, so I will usually wait for a sale, with the occasional exception of course. I just don't like paying $50-$60 for a 8 hour single-player experience, but usually $20-$30 is fine if it is a great enough experience, even if it is a bit shorter than average. Hell, a bluray copy of a movie is going to be around that much, and I almost never re-watch movies anymore.

Last edited by pahncrd : Feb 21, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:23 PM   #20
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Agree completely. It's extremely rare that I'll buy a game on release for $50-$60. However, games like Fallout 3 I'll buy without a 2nd thought. The amount of entertainment, in hours, easily justifies the money spent.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:32 PM   #21
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Agree completely. It's extremely rare that I'll buy a game on release for $50-$60. However, games like Fallout 3 I'll buy without a 2nd thought. The amount of entertainment, in hours, easily justifies the money spent.
It often amazes me that they are at the same price-point, but I suppose that many games do a pretty good job of making a mind blowing, if short, singleplayer experience. Still though, it is hard to justify a full price of $60, even for an amazing ride.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Ning
Radeon R420

Ning is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I think what made Mafia 1 so special was how the directors of the game allowed you to know each character 1 to 1. Like on how you did various missions with them, learn't their thoughts, feelings, weaknesses and their personal history. In Mafia2 they did the opposite. Its was just do this mission with characters you didn't give a rats ass about.

I think what they need to get right in M3 is try not to be like its competitors. They need be different on how GTA3 and M1 were two completely different games. Similar to how SR and GTA4 are two completely different games. They also need to work on their character development. The pacing in M2 was way off. Pacing IMO, is one of the most important aspects in any single player game. Don't give us to much and don't give us too little. But keep it at a pace that makes the story more interesting. In M2 I would of loved to learn more about Vitos mother and especially his sister. Why not have a few missions where you take the mother or sister to work to learn more about them. Or have some missions where you can play as Vito as a kid, learning more about how rough it was for him growing up in a such a tough town. Little things like this makes the story 100 times better. I really hope they get it right on the next one.
+69
Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:51 AM   #23
aop
Radeon Caribbean Islands

aop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC View Post
Mix of Mafia I and II footage.
aop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:37 AM   #24
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

I thought Mafia 2 was really bad and boring, if It didn't have somewhat nice graphics and PhysX than It would seem as it was an amateur indie game IMO.
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 04:38 PM   #25
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 04:56 PM   #26
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

So cars blowing up super easily when bumped into like we saw at E3 is because it's part of a perk that can be unlocked?

It looks good though.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:03 PM   #27
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Watch from 11:15 onwards. He says that for this demo they made things explode easily because they were revealing the game but "not all cars are going to explode when you bump them". It still requires grenade launchers etc..

It may be that only enemy AI vehicles are easy to destroy but they didn't clarify it.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:09 PM   #28
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I should learn to listen.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 07:14 PM   #29
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

So basically they advertise the game falsely because people love explosions?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:40 PM   #30
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

It could be a mission where all the vehicles are filled with nitro glycerine

There was a mission like that in the original as I recall...
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote