Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Mar 26, 2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sam Hain
goram hell. let me sleep

Sam Hain is still being judged by the masses

Default Bad Bad Splinter Cell QA team... no biscuit for you

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...s_6092153.html

Pandora Tomorrow Xbox Live bug discovered

UPDATE: The Xbox version of Ubisoft's stealth-action sequel contains a crash bug in its online multiplayer mode. Ubisoft responds.

Some gamers who acquired the Xbox version of Ubisoft's newly-released Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow came across an alarming surprise when they attempted to use the game's online multiplayer features. Specifically, after logging onto Xbox Live and selecting the "optimatch" function, players discovered that waiting for more than about 10 seconds on the optimatch results screen causes the game to freeze indefinitely.

Though the bug hinders players attempting to use the optimatch option, they can still readily play the game online using the quick match mode. GameSpot will have more on this story as it becomes available.
Sam Hain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

I can't believe the publisher and developer missed that, and even MS missed that one, must have been in far too much of a rush to get it out.

John

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:37 PM   #3
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Gotta love them hard drives, just patch it!
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:39 PM   #4
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

Best. Multiplayer. Ever.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:11 PM   #5
Hyperion72
Radeon R520

Hyperion72 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by _leech_
Yup, I don't think they missed it (unless they have the worst QA on the planet), but they knew they could kick it out and patch it. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

If HDDs become standard, we'll see more and more of the same ship-n-patch crap that I hate in PC gaming. Then I'll be stuck playing handhelds until those get tiny HDDs, too.

If we get complacent in the console arena as we all were in the PC scene about this issue, kiss the much higher QC of console games goodbye. We'll be downloading patches when we should have been playing.
Radeon 8500 64MB Retail (Cat 4.3)
SBLive!
Win ME
---
Gamecube + GBP
GBA SP
Hyperion72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:10 PM   #6
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

They will get a huge fine for this from Microsoft, games should not need patches on live - it's gonna cost them.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Hyperion72
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewfee
They will get a huge fine for this from Microsoft, games should not need patches on live - it's gonna cost them.
Does MS not do it's own QA on all licensed games? As in, they missed/ignored it too. Not to say fines won't occur, but it's partially their fault as well. How hard is it to leave the online browser on for more than 10 seconds and find this bug?

Maybe I'm wrong and only Sony and Nintendo do their own separate QA on 3rd party games on top of the 3rd party QA.
SBLive!
Win ME
---
Gamecube + GBP
GBA SP
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:49 AM   #8
Steppy
Smart and Sexy

Steppy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Bugs have existed in console games for years, before now they just had to live with it. The existance of a HD doesn't mean QC has to go down, but it does provide the opportunity to fix things. The absence of patches is not equal to the absence of a need for them, there just simply wasn't any means of doing them previously. If I can get an up to date roster for my sports games there is nothing better. I'm so sick of having some schlup as my kick returner in madden who was gone at the first cut of training camp.
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Quote:
No they won't, this is Microsoft's fault, they should have found this during submission testing, failed it and sent it back to the developer. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are ultimately responsible for any bugs that appear in the released game, as they test each game to ensure it passes their TRC/TCT/LOT checks, the developer/publisher QA teams job is to make sure that there are no bugs in the game that will make it fail submission testing.

John

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Old Mar 27, 2004, 09:44 AM   #10
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Steppy
Bugs have existed in console games for years, before now they just had to live with it. The existance of a HD doesn't mean QC has to go down, but it does provide the opportunity to fix things. The absence of patches is not equal to the absence of a need for them, there just simply wasn't any means of doing them previously. If I can get an up to date roster for my sports games there is nothing better. I'm so sick of having some schlup as my kick returner in madden who was gone at the first cut of training camp.
I'm sorry, but a bug as obvious as this got past testing? Give me a break. If there was no hard drive and no method of patching, a bug like this would have never gotten through.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:04 PM   #11
Neveroutgunned
Radeon R200

Neveroutgunned is still being judged by the masses

They tested internally using their own server not on the X-Box live service.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 03:21 PM   #12
Steppy
Smart and Sexy

Steppy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I'm sorry, but a bug as obvious as this got past testing? Give me a break. If there was no hard drive and no method of patching, a bug like this would have never gotten through.
I agree, this bug is unacceptable, but in the past games were recalled(if the bug was serious enough and it had actually gotten to stores), or it was just lived with. Don't blame the HD for a companies laziness is all I'm saying...that would kinda be like blaming optical media for developer sloppy coding practices and saying we should stick with cartridges. Staying away from innovations to prevent developers from getting lazy is the wrong route to go IMO.
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 05:28 PM   #13
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

I have to say, as much as I enjoy the multiplayer, it does seem like quite a poorly put together/rushed game with some aspects. (the framerate in single player, or the horrible tearing for example)

Hard drive or not, I'm sure this would've been in it.

Old Mar 27, 2004, 05:43 PM   #14
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

I was quite tempted to get the game today, only 20 quid with a crystal Xbox, but I don't think I've got the patience for that type of game right now!

John

Old Mar 27, 2004, 06:55 PM   #15
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

If you have live, you might like the multiplayer, especially playing as a merc.

So far I'm loving the game in multi, single player seems average, although I'm only one level in (been spending 95% of my time with it online)

Here. is a video I made of a great multiplayer game I had earlier today. (right-click and save target as)
  • There's no sound. (I couldn't find my extension cable for it)
  • It's crap quality. (I used my camera as a webcam to record it, which adds a lot more, much more severe, shearing)
  • It's badly compressed. (20 meg for a low res vid with no sound)
But it's one of my best games as a spy, was really intense for the most part. (I had one other game that was even better, but I didn't have a cam set up etc)

Note: at around 3 mins in, I told the guy not to hack a door (but he did anyway) which sent a merc running in my direction, then I missed the jump into the vent because of it.
Some of the stuff you see me do later might not make sense, but it's because I've heard something. (playing in DD5.1 )

I didn't think they would manage to keep the tension going in multi, but they pulled it off really well, and the balance between the spies and mercs seems spot-on.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:07 PM   #16
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

I do have Live, sounds very promising, might nip into town and pick a copy up tomorrow.

John

Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:17 PM   #17
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

I'm nearly finished with the single player. It's awesome IMO. Definately more exciting than the first one.

andrewfee, it gets a lot better. The first level is kind of just a primer for people who may have not played the first game.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:55 PM   #18
Hyperion72
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by Neveroutgunned
They tested internally using their own server not on the X-Box live service.
That was a big mistake, obviously. Every good QA tester/supervisor knows they have to use the app or game under "live" (and in this case, Live!) circumstances or else they're just simulating use. Simming isn't the same as a real life test and will let exactly this kind of bug go through unnoticed.

Console games have always had an easier time with bugs due to static hardware and two levels of testing. This was backed by the knowledge that if a serious bug slips by it will mean an expensive and embarrassing recall, reprint, and reissue.

If we add an HDD and broadband to that situation, it makes it MUCH cheaper and less penalizing for companies to ship broken games and patch later. This means we will see more and more games that were rushed to hit a sales window and then have problems that need patching. If you don't believe this, then you weren't paying attention when the internet hit the computer gaming industry.
SBLive!
Win ME
---
Gamecube + GBP
GBA SP
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:45 AM   #19
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Yes, let's keep crying about it.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:37 AM   #20
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion72
If we add an HDD and broadband to that situation, it makes it MUCH cheaper and less penalizing for companies to ship broken games and patch later. This means we will see more and more games that were rushed to hit a sales window and then have problems that need patching. If you don't believe this, then you weren't paying attention when the internet hit the computer gaming industry.
It costs £30,000 to submit a game to Microsoft for release, if there are any bugs in the game that get noticed the game is sent back to them to get fixed and it will be another £30,000 to resubmit it.

Microsoft also have an ammount close to this for games that have a major bug in them that managed to slip through. It is not cheap for them to ship a "broken" game and to patch later.

The other thing is that almost everyone I know that has had live for a month or two now only plays games with friends anyway, hell I would have never come across the bug unless someone had told me about it.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 05:25 AM   #21
Hyperion72
Radeon R520

Quote:
It costs £30,000 to submit a game to Microsoft for release, if there are any bugs in the game that get noticed the game is sent back to them to get fixed and it will be another £30,000 to resubmit it.

Microsoft also have an ammount close to this for games that have a major bug in them that managed to slip through. It is not cheap for them to ship a "broken" game and to patch later.

The other thing is that almost everyone I know that has had live for a month or two now only plays games with friends anyway, hell I would have never come across the bug unless someone had told me about it.
What if MS passes a bug and then it's caught once on the market? They've signed off on the game, so do they still try and stick the devs with a penalty then? If not, then the online method is by far the cheaper method of fixing the problem. If the devs still get punitive fees, if I was a dev or publisher, I'd find a better contract lawyer for the next game.

£30,000 + patch costs + bandwidth or
£30,000 + patch costs + remastering/pressing + shipping costs both ways. Which is more costly? That's not even mentioning whatever can be saved by laying off the testers or reallocating them to a new project.

If you think all publishers are angels who don't try and slip bugs by, think again. They take a calculated risk at having to pay another test fee, but they also get to save substantial money in shorting the QA period. 50+ testers (for a medium-sized publisher, more for giants like EA) @ $10/hr working huge overtime adds up very quickly.

I think it also comes off better to slip a patch in, especially a silent patch, than it is to have to make an embarrassing press statement for a recall.

DeathKnightMaF, check the thread title. This isn't a "gee-whiz, Splinter Cell rocks thread," it's a jab at the two QA depts. that let something like this through. Unless you feel like patching your Xbox games as much as your PC games, I think the all gaming consumers should be "crying about it."

If you love patches and wasting time and bandwidth on something that can be avoided for the most part, then go ahead and buy more broken games. It's your money. I'm tired of paying for broken games and waiting days or weeks for a patch to be able to play (PC games) and I'll be damned if I sit quietly by while the same thing happens to consoles. I bought a console to escape this crap.
SBLive!
Win ME
---
Gamecube + GBP
GBA SP
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:19 AM   #22
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

You're still overreacting and whining. I don't have Xbox Live yet and I don't know when I'm going to get it. If I did, however, I wouldn't be crying over not being able to use the optimatch feature because the game locks after 10 seconds of searching. The rest of the Xbox Live features aren't broken and the single player sure as hell isn't broken.

Stop your *****ing. You're acting as if it actually impedes you from playing the game online which is simply not true. Is the optimatch feature so near and dear to your heart that you must have it? I doubt you even have the game.

Bugs happen, even in the console world. I highly doubt they conveniently skipped over this "bug" in order to rush the game out the door. They developed it for a year and a half and had a previous game (as well as assets) to build upon. It's certainly not a rush job.

If you feel so strongly about it please whine to the companies instead of moaning on a message board.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:49 AM   #23
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathKnightMaF
I highly doubt they conveniently skipped over this "bug" in order to rush the game out the door. They developed it for a year and a half and had a previous game (as well as assets) to build upon. It's certainly not a rush job.
Still, this is quite an obvious bug. Wether it effects you personally or not, it simply should have been caught and under the circumstances of the bug (10 seconds) i don't see how it could have been missed.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:38 PM   #24
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

radE8 is still being judged by the masses

*cough* Turok 2 *cough*
radE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 06:53 PM   #25
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Buggy OS's, buggy games. No surprise comming from Microsoft.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:02 PM   #26
adam cool dude
Payne To The Max

Location: United Kingdom, Buckingham Palace for weekend parties
adam cool dude is still being judged by the masses

Just as long as the PC version isn't buggy. I'll be happy.

PC:MSI K8N Neo Plat ,AMD 64 [email protected],Asus Star ice cooler, 1024mb OCZ 3700 EB 245mhz 2-5-2-2, Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD, Safire X800 Pro vivo(16 pipes)@XT-PE, Hercules Fortisimo III 7.1 Antec Case + True Power 431 watt, Logitech MX700 + Logitech wireless keyboard, 2x17" monitors, Logitech 5.1 speakers, Win XP Corp.

Second Hand PC parts:P4 1.6ghz [email protected] 3.6ghz(No hyper-threading), Zalman Ultra Cooler, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024mb Corsair TwinX PC4400 @300mhz, Volt modded Asus Radeon 9800 XT 450/500, 120GB Generic HD, Onboard Sound, Cheapy Speakers, 19" Generic Silver Monitor, Generic Keyboard + Logitech MX510, Win XP Corp.
adam cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:10 PM   #27
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Quote:
Originally posted by ASCI Blue
Buggy OS's, buggy games. No surprise comming from Microsoft.
What a load of nonsense, don't bother to post if that's the best you can do, they're hardly the first to release a retail game witha fatal bug in it, and they won't be the last.

John

Old Mar 29, 2004, 02:14 AM   #28
Hyperion72
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathKnightMaF
You're still overreacting and whining. I don't have Xbox Live yet and I don't know when I'm going to get it. If I did, however, I wouldn't be crying over not being able to use the optimatch feature because the game locks after 10 seconds of searching. The rest of the Xbox Live features aren't broken and the single player sure as hell isn't broken.

Stop your *****ing. You're acting as if it actually impedes you from playing the game online which is simply not true. Is the optimatch feature so near and dear to your heart that you must have it? I doubt you even have the game.

Bugs happen, even in the console world. I highly doubt they conveniently skipped over this "bug" in order to rush the game out the door. They developed it for a year and a half and had a previous game (as well as assets) to build upon. It's certainly not a rush job.

If you feel so strongly about it please whine to the companies instead of moaning on a message board.
If you don't want to discuss bad things about this QA screwup, why read the thread?

I don't complain to companies who put out broken games, because frankly, they don't care. I vote with my wallet on things like this. They care when their accountants start screaming about profit loss.

Sorry for whining, I now return you to your regularly scheduled apathy and praise for SC:PT.

/goes to get lobotimized so he can be cheerfully oblivious to the thin edge of the wedge for regular console game patches being deftly applied
SBLive!
Win ME
---
Gamecube + GBP
GBA SP
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:46 AM   #29
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

I'm in no way denying the fact that this bug exists. The problem I have is your overreaction to this issue that 1) can be easily avoided, and 2) in no way inhibits you from playing the game online and doesn't detract from single player. It'd be one thing if online play was broken where it would lock up no matter what you do. That's not the case here.

You ran into this thread arms up and you haven't stopped since. Enough already. Do you have the game? If not, STFU. If you do, find some way to get over it. It's like you're going out of your way to ruin the game for yourself. We've heard what you have to say many times in here.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:19 PM   #30
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

Just to let you all know the problem has been fixed, and it would seem that the v-sync issue has been toned down a lot, although not eliminated.