Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD Interlagos and Zambezi to begin shipping in August

As part of the Q2 financial conference call, AMD disclosed some information about the state of the upcoming Bulldozer core based products in their Q&A session:

Rick Bergman: Bulldozer is the x86 core. So it's actually utilized in several different products. There's Interlagos, which is our server-based products, which will begin shipping initial production next month. Likewise, there is a desktop version called the Zambezi, which is geared more towards the desktop enthusiast market. That will also begin initial production and shipments next month. In the longer term, Thomas mentioned Trinity, where it's used more of a notebook- or a Fusion-type of product which will ship next year. On the first 2 products, we're seeing a very good acceptance both in the server end and in the desktop, and we expect numerous platforms to launch later this year.

Rick Bergman: AMD historically has done well in the high-performance computing space, the HPC space, and we have some statistics there. And they are the ones that are most eager to get that higher level of performance. So clearly, they will be the front runners on the initial Interlagos shipments.

Source - Seeking Alpha transcript
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I hope we can wait for official reviews and some benchmarks soon.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Looking forward to bench marks on this; it'll be intresting to see how it stacks up against my current first gen i7 CPU.

Who knows, maybe this will be my first all AMD system ^_^
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Did they already annoucne the Radeon HD7xxx was going to fully utilize PCI-E 3.0? Why would they release a PCI-E 2.0 platform this late in the game?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:25 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Did they already annoucne the Radeon HD7xxx was going to fully utilize PCI-E 3.0? Why would they release a PCI-E 2.0 platform this late in the game?
It's not been announced, just speculated/leaked.

As far as releasing PCI-E 2.0 boards, I presume you mean the 9-series chipsets being PCI-E 2.0; recall that since the Q3 2009 AMD graphics cards have supported PCI-E 2.1, so there's a little lag in infrastructure vs. availability etc. Expect to see add in chips offering PCI-E 3.0 compatibility.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:50 PM   #6
el barto
Radon HD 8970

el barto is still being judged by the masses

Will the next-generation graphic cards have enough power to saturate the existing PCI-E 2.0 bandwith?
el barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Bandwidth is not the only reason for the upgrade in specification.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Bandwidth is not the only reason for the upgrade in specification.
More power?
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
More power?
Yes. I think PCIE 2.0 barely can handle over 300W card, however I'm not sure if it could handle just fine like a 6990 and GTX590.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:14 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Here's the PCI-E 3.0 FAQ if you're interested in reading it.

The answer given to power is it consolidates the specifications, including 150W and 300W form factors. What that means for slot power is unclear.

However, recall that PCI-Express is used in many more form factors than consumer desktops. So the standard has to be sensitive to the needs of High Performance Compute, Cloud Computing, Financial, Gas & Oil, Particle Modelling etc. etc. applications, all of which have different needs for increased bandwidth, latency, command syncing, etc. and all of which could possibly benefit from GPGPU technology implementations.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:26 AM   #11
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

According to a chinese mydrivers.com site the ship date is sept 19th

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/11136/
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:18 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
According to a chinese mydrivers.com site the ship date is sept 19th

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/11136/
Ship date != Launch date. Shipping is leaving the fab and being sold to customers (OEM's, VAR's, Suppliers). September 19th might well be accurate for a launch, too, though.