Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Cooling Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Cooler Review @ Rage3D.com

Cooler Master's GeminII range offer top down cooling designs, with the S524 the newest edition. Compatible with 120mm and 140mm fans it can offer an upgrade for your processor cooling - and your whole system.

Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Cooler Review
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Swiftdeathz
7870 CFX

Swiftdeathz is still being judged by the masses

Nice review. This HSF reminds me of my Thermalright XP-90. Top-down coolers can provide cooling sometimes that rivals tower coolers.
Swiftdeathz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftdeathz View Post
Nice review. This HSF reminds me of my Thermalright XP-90. Top-down coolers can provide cooling sometimes that rivals tower coolers.
Agreed. Much tidier package than the earlier Gemin coolers, and always appreciated the way this design cools mobo components - I've had several boards over the years that really benefited from the additional VRM cooling when overclocked. The tower coolers and, even more-so, the self-contained liquid coolers (Corsair's Hydro series in my case) simply don't provide that airflow.

This recently bit me with my Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard, which implemented a unique shroud that, in theory, was supposed to aid in routing airflow across the motherboard ... as well as look very cool. Problem is that it is designed with downward blowing coolers in mind (specifically OEM coolers). With my Corsair H50, mobo temps were terrible, even with the optional mobo cooling fan installed. Ultimately the best solution was to remove the shroud, so that the case fans could aid in mobo cooling. I expect that a cooler such as this GeminII S524 would be a perfect complement to an Asus Sabertooth motherboard.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just one thing... A program like Coretemp, that gives you a temp reading from each cores thermisistor would have been cool to see. Loaded and idle.

Also, to see max cpu temps, you should toss in a run with a smaller FFT set, to make loading all physical/logical cores easier, a program like OCCT is incredibly useful.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

It also reads directly from the cores and reports the temps, while noting min/max along with cpu load/memory use/etc. It even has 64bit support now!

It's awesome sauce! Make sure you donate if you use it, as it's free and the author does support it. I donated and I'm a cheap bastard!

Otherwise a nice review indeed.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Jan 25, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:04 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I picked a large FFT size so it would thrash the cache, for more heat. I'll play around with it next time I look at it, thanks for the feedback.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I picked a large FFT size so it would thrash the cache, for more heat. I'll play around with it next time I look at it, thanks for the feedback.
Your welcome, used to pay and be far too involved in this sort of stuff.

As far as I know how it works...

Small: Fits inside the L1/L2, works the cpu hardest.
Medium: Some swapping to ram and L3(if equipped), stresses mostly cpu, but stresses the memory and controller as well.
Large: Takes up a large amount of memory space, very good subsystem test as it stresses everything in a way that's more 'realistic'.

Would be interesting to see what kind of temp differences you get between the three modes.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote