Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jun 6, 2018, 09:48 PM   #541
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Good stuff!

Sounds like the auto-blip is still locking up the drive line a bit on some shifts. I heard the tires screech a few times under heavy braking when the shift happened.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:26 PM   #542
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Good stuff!

Sounds like the auto-blip is still locking up the drive line a bit on some shifts. I heard the tires screech a few times under heavy braking when the shift happened.
You're absolutely right. It's one of the faults of using the auto-blip setup. You set the delay and duration. A few of those times I shifted quicker and let the clutch up faster than I usually do, which caused the rear tires to slip. I'm going to slightly decrease the duration for next time and see if that helps the few times that happens.

EDIT: Actually, increase the delay and possibly duration (rev slightly higher) as well.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Jun 6, 2018 at 10:33 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:34 AM   #543
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 20, 2018, 09:26 PM   #544
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Had my first off-track at Raceway Park of the Midlands this weekend.

My friend is in the black BMW behind me. He had just installed a supercharger on the car and the first time we heard about it was today. A buddy of ours that couldn't make it asked us to check his oil for him because he was being "stubborn" and he was burning a bit. We popped the hood and found the blower...it was a pretty slick con job and we had a good laugh.

So this was the first time out with him behind me. Pretty simple what happened, really. I over-drove the car on the first lap with cold tires and tried to drive the car using the rear view mirror. Lesson learned. I forgot about it being the first lap, wasn't paying attention, and took the corner entry at my full pace. Thought I had it until I saw the cone on the outside of the turn and we had understeered too much and too late to bail by the time I realized it, so I straightened the wheel quick as I could and drove straight off.

Oops.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:08 PM   #545
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Yea, that was a pretty wide entry into that turn. I aim for the middle of the track for the corner entry which gives a little extra room to bleed off speed if I over cook it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:30 PM   #546
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Yea, that was a pretty wide entry into that turn. I aim for the middle of the track for the corner entry which gives a little extra room to bleed off speed if I over cook it.
I agree, it wasn't great. My head wasn't in the right place, focused on the wrong things.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 08:53 PM   #547
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Aug 3, 2018, 09:55 PM   #548
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Some laps around Raceway Park of the Midlands. This was immediately after the last video I posted where I went off. Couldn't get the tires to grip as much as the last track day and car wouldn't turn in like usual. A little slipping and sliding the first couple laps while I wrestled with it until a little more heat got in the tires and I loosened up a bit. Fun day, but definitely not for any kind of new personal lap records.

Old Aug 28, 2018, 09:00 AM   #549
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

My final session at Road America this past weekend. It was threatening rain, so most of the group had packed up and left.

Lots of room for improvement after watching the video a couple times. I had a lot of trouble finding 3rd gear one lap, for some odd reason. Back end threatened to come around slightly approaching turn 2, so I braked deeper until it settled and turned in. Also, while I don't do much coasting, I am doing a bit of maintenance throttle. Holding at high rpm in 4th to keep the car settled around the long sweeper after the kink and going downhill to T5. Still getting use to the difference in speed, but it felt secure and there was a LOT left in the brakes even hitting the brakes at 3.5 into t5. So, next time approaching t5 and Canada Corner, I'm going into 5th and keeping my foot down. Corner approach speeds are way up compared to the BRZ, so I found myself over-slowing quite a bit. Especially setting myself up for entering the Kink. Just couldn't get 100% comfortable there, but it'll come with more seat time.

This was the only session where I did some laps with no traffic. The car ran a 2:44.15, compared to the 2:50 or 2:52 I ran in the BRZ. Looking forward to next time.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Aug 28, 2018 at 09:23 AM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2018, 01:49 PM   #550
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quite a bit of coasting......

Old Aug 28, 2018, 03:16 PM   #551
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nice downshifts. Sounds good

I can't heel-toe to save my life in the WRX. I just can't get the foot movement right
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2018, 03:28 PM   #552
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Quite a bit of coasting......

Last few laps? Where? The mic doesn't pick up the exhaust note well at steady state throttle. That's where I was saying next time I'm going to keep my foot planted instead of just maintaining speed. I was on one pedal or the other. With the exception of coming into turn one. I had a habit of braking early there and had to lift and coast to turn in. Need to work on those braking points.

A second of lifting and getting to the brake is going to seem like an eternity to an experienced driver. Work in progress.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 03:29 PM   #553
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

I can't heel-toe to save my life in the WRX
Me either, I cheated.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 05:10 PM   #554
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Me either, I cheated.
I dunno if you had this issue with the BRZ, but I just don't have enough foot room to position my foot for heel-toe. The motion itself doesn't seem too challenging but dear god trying to contort my big ass foot to a way that will hit the pedals makes my foot get stuck on the material above or to the right side of the gas pedal lol
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Aug 28, 2018, 05:50 PM   #555
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I dunno if you had this issue with the BRZ, but I just don't have enough foot room to position my foot for heel-toe. The motion itself doesn't seem too challenging but dear god trying to contort my big ass foot to a way that will hit the pedals makes my foot get stuck on the material above or to the right side of the gas pedal lol
No, I mean I actually cheated. I can't heal toe in any way.

I wired an automatic throttle controller with the clutch, brake, and throttle wires to do the work for me. It's mounted on my dash next to the trunk release.

Old Aug 28, 2018, 06:14 PM   #556
Nunz
RIP Roxen

w o w

that is awesome
Old Aug 28, 2018, 06:36 PM   #557
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
w o w

that is awesome
They work for Subaru's...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 06:59 PM   #558
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Thanks for recommending Brad btw, ordering the amsoil sig series once he gives me the total $ amount.

He made it real easy!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:39 PM   #559
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Last few laps? Where? The mic doesn't pick up the exhaust note well at steady state throttle. That's where I was saying next time I'm going to keep my foot planted instead of just maintaining speed. I was on one pedal or the other. With the exception of coming into turn one. I had a habit of braking early there and had to lift and coast to turn in. Need to work on those braking points.

A second of lifting and getting to the brake is going to seem like an eternity to an experienced driver. Work in progress.
Not being fully on the gas or fully on the brake (unless in a turn) is considered coasting.

You need to work on using the brakes harder. The braking zones are really long because you aren't using enough brake. That basically gives the impression of coasting (which the experienced guys still call it coasting). Basically, you need to brake later and harder.

You should really come out to a NASA event and have one of our instructors (whether with Central Region or Great Lakes Region) work with you. They will get you up to speed in just a weekend.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:43 PM   #560
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

If I could get a slot open up on Sept 29th for you at RPM with the KC Exotic car group, would you be interested in coming out? I'll be there with some of my instructors.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:13 PM   #561
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Not being fully on the gas or fully on the brake (unless in a turn) is considered coasting.

You need to work on using the brakes harder. The braking zones are really long because you aren't using enough brake. That basically gives the impression of coasting (which the experienced guys still call it coasting). Basically, you need to brake later and harder.

You should really come out to a NASA event and have one of our instructors (whether with Central Region or Great Lakes Region) work with you. They will get you up to speed in just a weekend.

We're watching the same video here. We both can see what went wrong and where. Some brake zones I intentionally braked soft (Kink, not a place I'm looking to go fast right now), others need a lot of work (T1) and just focus on what I'm doing a bit more. Others I'm doing fine for now (T5, Canada Corner...braking at 3.5). A lot of places I was intentionally maintaining throttle.

It's an HPDE. I'm not going to go crazy the first day with that car there on one of the fastest tracks in the country and stuff it into a wall. Practice and seat time. I'll make some corrections next time I'm there. No need to rush it, that's how you play ping-pong off the walls after the Kink like an Audi S4 did that day.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:18 PM   #562
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
If I could get a slot open up on Sept 29th for you at RPM with the KC Exotic car group, would you be interested in coming out? I'll be there with some of my instructors.
Interested...always. But there's no way I could commit to that any time soon. It depends on cost, my schedule, and the weather.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:30 PM   #563
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Interested...always. But there's no way I could commit to that any time soon. It depends on cost, my schedule, and the weather.
Cost will be $200 for the day.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:34 PM   #564
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
It's an HPDE.
You still want the proper track technique even if you aren't pushing. Braking lightly heats up the brakes more since you are on them longer and increases wear. Technique isn't about competing.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 06:25 AM   #565
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
You still want the proper track technique even if you aren't pushing. Braking lightly heats up the brakes more since you are on them longer and increases wear. Technique isn't about competing.
I know that, it's basic stuff. Come on, man. I really can't help but feel annoyed by a lot of this. Knowing and doing are two different things. Seat time and practice. Unless those instructors can meet me at Road America, I'm going to do the same thing when I go back there. There was a reason I put myself in the novice group.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 08:03 AM   #566
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
I know that, it's basic stuff. Come on, man. I really can't help but feel annoyed by a lot of this. Knowing and doing are two different things. Seat time and practice. Unless those instructors can meet me at Road America, I'm going to do the same thing when I go back there. There was a reason I put myself in the novice group.
If you post up something public, be prepared for some criticism. Either don't post or ignore it.

As for your comment, that is incorrect. You don't need to be instructed at the exact same track just to improve. We teach the fundamentals that give drivers the skills to learn any track that they visit. There is a lot to learn padawan.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 08:17 AM   #567
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
If you post up something public, be prepared for some criticism. Either don't post or ignore it.

As for your comment, that is incorrect. You don't need to be instructed at the exact same track just to improve. We teach the fundamentals that give drivers the skills to learn any track that they visit. There is a lot to learn padawan.
It's not the criticism of the video, it's the coddling of basic information. We can't ever seem to get on the same page. A good example is what you just said above. Of course the information carries from one track to another, why wouldn't it? That's just common sense. The point I was attempting to make had nothing to do with the skill set learned and carried over.

An instructor will help enforce and make me practice the stuff I already know and should be doing every time, but don't. There always something new to learn, which is why I always grab an instructor when I can. But the stuff you're carrying on about is basic 101. Knowing and doing are two different things. Seat time. It's not the criticism, it's your approach. You come off very condescending and insulting.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 08:19 AM   #568
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
It's not the criticism, it's your approach.
Doing enforces knowing. From what I'm seeing, there isn't much knowing...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 08:41 AM   #569
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Doing enforces knowing. From what I'm seeing, there isn't much knowing...
Sure - that's a fair point, a person can only assume certain things based on the information given. I'm usually more concerned with having fun with my buddies at these events and don't focus on things very well. An instructor would certainly help enforce doing it the right way every time and make it more consistent.

However, you're making it very difficult to want to join you at any event, due to your approach. Its like a doctor and their bedside manners. As an instructor, I find it surprising that you don't seem to care.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 03:40 PM   #570
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks for recommending Brad btw, ordering the amsoil sig series once he gives me the total $ amount.

He made it real easy!
Skimmed over this. Good to hear! Brad is a good guy and has treated me right over the years. Lots of knowledge and very helpful. Good luck!

--------------------

Commited to running Mid Ohio this weekend with MVP. Going to do 2 days. They also said there were plenty of instructors this time (not enough at RA). Should be fun, weather looks great right now. Never been to this track before, but my buddy says its a good one. Looks easy on brakes and hard on tires.

Car is still packed up and ready to go from Road America. Just want to pop the wheels off and check the front brakes. Something is squeaking on the front left. Will find foam or a pillow to put under my rear...8hrs is a long haul.