Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Microsoft Forefront deleted Chrome.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...tid=2147598479

Fantastic. This is our antivirus on campus and, while most people use IE, chrome is the second most popular browser. I can't believe microsoft for a second that this is an accident. Now all of our favorites and plugins are gone from Chrome (as the webmaster here, I use a lot of debugging/testing plugins). I find this extremely aggravating.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That's uber lame.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:53 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Microsoft Security Essentials did it as well. They have issued updated definitions that don't do it, now, but had several calls about that.

lol
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Microsoft = sittal's profile pic
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i'll post a quote from one of the interns that had to fix it.

"google was like 'wtf, ass' and microsoft was like 'omg lol it was an accident!'"

Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials did it as well. They have issued updated definitions that don't do it, now, but had several calls about that.

lol
How long ago did they issue these definitions? I've had machines running security essentials with chrome with no problems for quite some time.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
How long ago did they issue these definitions? I've had machines running security essentials with chrome with no problems for quite some time.
Same, running it on 3 separate machines with Chrome, no issues
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:02 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

They issued fixed definitions pretty quickly, and the clients update on different schedules so it is entirely possible to miss a definition before the next one is released, and the scan to check using those definitions isn't performed until yet another definition has been released.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
They issued fixed definitions pretty quickly, and the clients update on different schedules so it is entirely possible to miss a definition before the next one is released, and the scan to check using those definitions isn't performed until yet another definition has been released.
the main campus likes to push updates the second they are available. i resent an email to them voicing my concerns over this. (i sent the email about 2 weeks after i took over my current position, stating that i was worried a bad update could cripple services, i had an AVG update go through once and it borked an XP machine i had. one computer took a few days to recover from that, imagine an entire lab, or entire campus.

sure enough...

Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Very few organizations have the manpower to test every AV update definition before they push it to their installed clients. It's the correct choice to push as soon as new definitions are available, it limits the scope that a bad update or undetected piece of software is out there.

In cases where masses of computers are affected by false detections, the AV provider will man up and offer assistance to remedy the issue or compensation for time burned up.

In this case, I'm of the opinion that any business claiming losses due to this event should re-evaluate their software library