Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Playstation Suite coming to Android. Android gaming is about to get awesome.

Sony is just announcing it now, at the PSP Phone event, but I feel this deserves a new thread since it's basically going to enable every "Playstation Certified" phone to play titles from the Playstation Market. This is just incredible news for Android gamers. They're showing on screen controls too, so I'm guessing it's not going to be limited to snazzy gaming phones like the PSP Phone. Exciting!

Supposed to be available at the end of the year.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:43 AM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

The new PSP looks snazzy. Thank god that PSP phone wasnt the next gen PSP.

Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The new PSP looks snazzy. Thank god that PSP phone wasnt the next gen PSP.
Agreed, but that's a thread in Console Gaming I'm most glad about the Playstation Suite not being limited to the Playstation phone though.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:48 AM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Agreed, but that's a thread in Console Gaming I'm most glad about the Playstation Suite not being limited to the Playstation phone though.
That thread should be here

Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That thread should be here
I concur but the mod team doesn't seem to think handheld gaming platforms fall under handheld computing I've already tried to bring up this point...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:52 AM   #6
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
I concur but the mod team doesn't seem to think handheld gaming platforms fall under handheld computing I've already tried to bring up this point...
Really it's hard to draw a line between handheld computing and portable gaming. The lines are getting more and more blurred each day.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:59 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Really it's hard to draw a line between handheld computing and portable gaming. The lines are getting more and more blurred each day.
On both sides, since smartphones are getting better at gaming and handheld gaming platforms are getting better at non-gaming stuff.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:37 AM   #8
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Awesome!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:53 AM   #9
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I am guessing playstation certified means tegra 2 or something like that so we will all still need to get new phones.

Still pretty cool.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I am guessing playstation certified means tegra 2 or something like that so we will all still need to get new phones.

Still pretty cool.
I doubt it, it probably means a minimum spec like a 1ghz processor and a decent video chip, basically what the Playstation Phone is.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:55 PM   #11
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I read the engadget post on it this morning
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/s...station-suite/

They say the platform will consist of a combination marketplace and psone emulator combined with some software to help developers make games. It will also require at least Android 2.3. They say it is hardware neutral but I am guessing at least some games will still have minimum system requirements. I interpret Playstation Certified as a QA system to mean it is not absolutely required though perhaps recommended.

I hope Sony doesn't deside to take up arms against the existing PSX emulator.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 27, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:56 PM   #12
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Man, if we can pair our PS3 remotes to our phones......
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:54 AM   #13
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

I made a thread how Android would make a major turnaround in 2011 in gaming (especially due to Nvidia and Sony), and it got **** on by some iPhone naysayers. Nice to see that it's verifiably underway.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:56 AM   #14
logical
What is my purpose?

This just got announced... because they are doing stuff it doesnt mean it will be successful...Most of us can already play PS1 games on our phones so thats not really a big deal IMO.

Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
This just got announced... because they are doing stuff it doesnt mean it will be successful...Most of us can already play PS1 games on our phones so thats not really a big deal IMO.
What they're doing beyond a PSX emulator is absolutely a big deal.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:01 AM   #16
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
What they're doing beyond a PSX emulator is absolutely a big deal.
Was there a mention of exclusive games that are not PS1 games?

Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:05 AM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Was there a mention of exclusive games that are not PS1 games?
Specifically? No. But the entire idea of the system, according to Sony, is a hardware neutral game development platform. Puts the notion of fragmentation to rest and we all know how well Sony does to get developers on board. How one could think it's only for a PSX emulator is completely beyond me.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:11 AM   #18
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

The PSOne emulator is the initial step in a much broader framework for Playstation Suite. The article clearly states Playstation suite is being developed for cross platform game access, and that includes NEW games within the framework (and games developed for Sony's next gen portable). That is BIG news, don't know why anyone would try to downplay its significance.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:23 AM   #19
logical
What is my purpose?

I never said it wasnt big news(to me), I said we have to wait and see how successful it is.

Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:48 AM   #20
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Sucks that my new Intercept probably can't run it, even if it does get Android 2.3 (which it probably won't).
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:47 AM   #21
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I made a thread how Android would make a major turnaround in 2011 in gaming (especially due to Nvidia and Sony), and it got **** on by some iPhone naysayers. Nice to see that it's verifiable underway.
Why does it have to be so hostile and divisive all of the time? I mean, it isn't as if you have been the most open minded person in the world when it comes to iOS devices. What sort of rhetoric do you expect?

If you want to set a different tone, then you have to do your part. I've transgressed before in my weaker moments when people have annoyed me, but I honestly try and keep an open mind and I have defended the Android platform on several occasions (most notably regarding the notion of fragmentation). So who exactly is getting served right now? What does it help to have such an attitude?

We are just talking about electronic devices meant for entertainment, why not consider the advantages of other options? Zealotous adherence to brand loyalty will never be something I fully understand. Sure, I like my iPhone 4, and it is the best pocket device I have ever had the pleasure of carrying, but that doesn't mean I particularly care for Apple, or that iOS is a perfect platform, or even that I expect it to never be challenged as the leading smartOS gaming platform. I just don't expect it to disappear right away as it is fairly entrenched as a gaming platform. It isn't like there isn't room for two smartphone platforms with strong gaming capabilities. It is their competition with each other that brings us the gaming goods.

Competition is the main component of what makes capitalism work. I think it is somewhat obvious that had Apple not entered the gaming arena when they did, Android probably wouldn't be getting all of the developer love it is about to receive from Sony (also, the specs of the NGP would probably not have been as impressive either, but I am just speculating). Apple put pressure on Sony, and Android is (you are) going to benefit from Sony's response.

In any case, I think it's great that Android is getting better gaming. I might actually get myself an Android tablet as gaming picks up and prices go down, perhaps one of the 7" ones for playing games around the house with.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:23 PM   #22
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
Why does it have to be so hostile and divisive all of the time? I mean, it isn't as if you have been the most open minded person in the world when it comes to iOS devices. What sort of rhetoric do you expect?

If you want to set a different tone, then you have to do your part. I've transgressed before in my weaker moments when people have annoyed me, but I honestly try and keep an open mind and I have defended the Android platform on several occasions (most notably regarding the notion of fragmentation). So who exactly is getting served right now? What does it help to have such an attitude?

We are just talking about electronic devices meant for entertainment, why not consider the advantages of other options? Zealotous adherence to brand loyalty will never be something I fully understand. Sure, I like my iPhone 4, and it is the best pocket device I have ever had the pleasure of carrying, but that doesn't mean I particularly care for Apple, or that iOS is a perfect platform, or even that I expect it to never be challenged as the leading smartOS gaming platform. I just don't expect it to disappear right away as it is fairly entrenched as a gaming platform. It isn't like there isn't room for two smartphone platforms with strong gaming capabilities. It is their competition with each other that brings us the gaming goods.

Competition is the main component of what makes capitalism work. I think it is somewhat obvious that had Apple not entered the gaming arena when they did, Android probably wouldn't be getting all of the developer love it is about to receive from Sony (also, the specs of the NGP would probably not have been as impressive either, but I am just speculating). Apple put pressure on Sony, and Android is (you are) going to benefit from Sony's response.

In any case, I think it's great that Android is getting better gaming. I might actually get myself an Android tablet as gaming picks up and prices go down, perhaps one of the 7" ones for playing games around the house with.
The thing is, I have done my part and gave Apple a fair shake, from all the way back to the first iPod touch. My wife loves her apple products and itunes and can't wait to get an iPhone 4 when it finally comes to Verizon. My perception soured with arrogance of the general Apple fanbase, the attempts to justify it's absurdly high prices, and delusional antics of countless fanboys that completely disregard logic and facts in favor of blind praise. This couldn't be more obvious in iPhone vs Android devices. Android's popularity has seriously riled the Apple fanbase... and now that it has eclipse iOS, the same record is being played in terms of gaming...no one can truly deny Android is poised to surge as a gaming platform, yet the same people who attempt to discredit this trend are just like the same people who discredited the notion of Android eclipsing iOS. It happened, and eventually it will happen in gaming as well.

I can tell you are (mostly ) open minded when it comes to this issue. But take a look at some of the others who post in this forum, their bias is clearly heads and tails above anything I've posted. I tend to analyze things for what they are, call things as i see them.

I do like competition and I'm glad to see there is now good competition in the mobile space. The way I see it, as Android gaming continues to grow, games will end up cross platform, so it won't really matter what device you have. In the meantime, iOS is definitely better for gaming at the moment (no one ever denied this), but to ignore significant advances on the Android that will likely push android gaming ahead is naive.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:36 PM   #23
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
The thing is, I have done my part and gave Apple a fair shake, from all the way back to the first iPod touch. My wife loves her apple products and itunes and can't wait to get an iPhone 4 when it finally comes to Verizon. My perception soured with arrogance of the general Apple fanbase, the attempts to justify it's absurdly high prices, and delusional antics of countless fanboys that completely disregard logic and facts in favor of blind praise. This couldn't be more obvious in iPhone vs Android devices. Android's popularity has seriously riled the Apple fanbase... and now that it has eclipse iOS, the same record is being played in terms of gaming...no one can truly deny Android is poised to surge as a gaming platform, yet the same people who attempt to discredit this trend are just like the same people who discredited the notion of Android eclipsing iOS. It happened, and eventually it will happen in gaming as well.
It isn't as if smug Android fans are any less annoying. (or any die-hard brand loyalist really)

As far as I am concerned, it is the diehard fans on either side that keep the hostile rhetoric going and stand as a barrier to meaningful dialogue and consensus.

Quote:
I can tell you are (mostly ) open minded when it comes to this issue. But take a look at some of the others who post in this forum, their bias is clearly heads and tails above anything I've posted. I tend to analyze things for what they are, call things as i see them.
I don't think there are a bunch, there are a couple, but most of the Apple users in this section are pretty reasonable, just like most of the Android fans are pretty reasonable. If you want to see diehard fans, go check out the engadget comments on any Apple or Android story. Good lord, both sides come out swinging their dicks around with maximum force, with the Android representation being especially strong.

Then there are the nokia fans (shudder)... they frighten me.

Quote:
I do like competition and I'm glad to see there is now good competition in the mobile space. The way I see it, as Android gaming continues to grow, games will end up cross platform, so it won't really matter what device you have. In the meantime, iOS is definitely better for gaming at the moment (no one ever denied this), but to ignore significant advances on the Android that will likely push android gaming ahead is naive.
It is better for everybody if no one platform stays in the lead, but rather, they trade punches evenly as time goes on. I don't mind who is in the lead at any one point, since it isn't as if it is impossible to purchase an Android device for exclusives should the need appear. Great competition will keep gaming on our platforms alive and well.

Last edited by pahncrd : Jan 30, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:17 AM   #24
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So in sacrifice of a couple of PSX engine titles, they get a slew of popular cellphone apps for the NGP. A good tradeoff if you ask me.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:57 PM   #25
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
So in sacrifice of a couple of PSX engine titles, they get a slew of popular cellphone apps for the NGP. A good tradeoff if you ask me.
How does Sony developing for Android stop other people from writing apps for Android? Sony developing for Android is simply part of a larger trend of game publisher and developers taking smart phones in general more seriously. Something that is good in general.

Over the next couple years the market will probably more closely resemble the sort of competition that exists between Xbox and PS3 with at times one having better new releases then the other but overall both having a library of good or great games.

BTW for the moment both platforms have a good selection of emulators from Atari to PSX which should keep us all busy until developers get serious.

P.S. Will be nice if the sony emulator gets sixaxis support for their PSX emulator. This would make many more games playable.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 31, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:48 PM   #26
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
[/b]How does Sony developing for Android stop other people from writing apps for Android?[/b]
Read my post again, that's not what I meant. I was simply looking in Sony's perspective (as a company). The more I think of it, Playstation Suite is Sony's means to enter the tablet PC market. Though its primary purpose is for games, judging from previews of the unit I've seen so far, NGP has tablet-like capabilties that is strikingly similar to the Galaxy Tab/iPad. Web surfing, e-book reading, video/mp3 playback, individual icons on the main menu for easy game selection, etc.. get what I mean? No the NGP doesn't run Android, but with PS Suite, Sony's got their bases "partially" covered. If Android gamers respond well to the PSX emulated games proves a success, mobile devs would consider releasing their apps for the platform. PS Suite's not limited to games remember? Given this might be a difficult battle for Sony seeing how Android itself is already a pretty viable platform, at least it's a good start ffor Sony to gain widespread attention.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:14 AM   #27
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Some of my post doesn't make sense bacuse I mistakenly thought the NGP was referring to the Next Gen iPhone and not the Next Gen PSP. Not sure why I thought that.

At any rate it occurs to me that console developers loose money by selling consoles but if you could create a software platform that runs on hardware that is already subsidized like a mobile phone then you loose that much less money. Basically in this case Sony would create a set of development tools and some amount of QA to supply a Sony app store with quality games and apps. In exchange they collect some sort of fee which Google does anyway.

Even just putting a cellphone in the NGP would sort of makes sense just so they could get the cell company to handle the subsidy. N-Gage is the biggest reason I wouldn't. No one wants to be seen talking into a ridiculous toy.

Last edited by aviphysics : Feb 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:38 PM   #28
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

this is weird
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:44 PM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
I made a thread how Android would make a major turnaround in 2011 in gaming (especially due to Nvidia and Sony), and it got **** on by some iPhone naysayers. Nice to see that it's verifiably underway.
Your original points were about a huge influx on development jumping ship for android and leveraging new tech like multicore. From the looks of it, you're still wrong as to why android will see a change in gaming.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 9, 2011, 03:14 PM   #30
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Your original points were about a huge influx on development jumping ship for android and leveraging new tech like multicore. From the looks of it, you're still wrong as to why android will see a change in gaming.
Wrong and wrong again. .

Not that I'm surprised, you seem to have a problem with reading comprehension and have this knack for disregarding facts in favor of your own, off-base opinions.

Case in point, your response above. In the thread I created, I clearly reasoned Sony's developmental push with Android and Nvidia's growing graphics presence (starting with Tegra 2) as the two major reasons why Android gaming is at a turning point. Here it is again, since you obviously didn't read it properly the first time:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33972098

This Playstation Suite thread confirms the first. This post from my own thread confirms the second:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...&postcount=117

Arguing with yourself ("leveraging new tech like multicore" ), and stating "you're wrong" till you're blue in the face only makes you look like a typical foolish iPhone-atic that refuses to accept Android's growing dominance.
Closed Thread