Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber
Default Samsung Smart TV's listening and sending the info unencrypted

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-its-smart-tvs

Quote:
When news broke that Samsung’s Smart TV’s listened to conversations and sent them to a third-party server company, the Korean manufacturer countered by claiming that all data transmissions to and from its televisions were encrypted. When testing demonstrated that the data in question wasn’t encrypted (despite being sent via Port 443, which is typically used for HTTPS traffic), Samsung modified its stance, claiming that new TVs were encrypted properly but older sets were not. This, too, has now been proven false.
This is getting really dumb. As if no one was going to test their claim... wth Samsung

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've been searching for a way to kill the wifi on my year old set, and shy of opening the TV and physically pulling the module, I'm strongly considering getting rid of it.

I hate this crap with a passion.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:20 PM   #3
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Projector. Possibly the dumbest "monitor" one can get these days.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Does this work?

Quote:
I was able to turn off my Samsung Smart TV's WiFi by using the TV's Wifi configuration. Depending on your model and menu functions look for network setup. Click on set up network or search for new network. After it searches for available wireless networks chose "ADD NETWORK" then enter a bogus name. A name that did not appear in the selection list. Then choose "OPEN" for security type. The TV will search for that network you named and wont be able to connect to it. It will however keep the settings. Once the configuration is finished it will display network address as 0.0.0.0 for all fields. Turn the TV off. The next time you turn the tv on it will briefly search for the network and when it doesn't find it the wifi shuts off by default.

Good Luck
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2013384

Can't verify. I have a dumb Vizio
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Does this work?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2013384

Can't verify. I have a dumb Vizio
I tried that last night and it wouldn't work as the set kept defaulting back to my original SSID when it couldn't find what I entered. It wouldn't let me advance to the next step.

Tonight though...I'll change my router password, change the TV to match, then change the router back. That should do it.

Then this set goes in the basement, and I'll find a solid "dumb" flat screen. Getting really tired of all the snooping type garbage these days.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:18 PM   #6
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My Panny SmarTViera, the Wi-Fi module is removable from the out side of the TV.

God damn... Samsung you are just giving everyone a reason to buy an LG plasma or OLED...

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 06:38 PM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
My Panny SmarTViera, the Wi-Fi module is removable from the out side of the TV.

God damn... Samsung you are just giving everyone a reason to buy an LG plasma or OLED...
Showoff!

I don't see another Sammy getting into my house after this. What ticks me off is I'm almost 100% certain the setting to disable it was there when I initially set up the TV a year ago. Not any more, and that's what I get for letting myself be suckered into fancy features I don't need.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:37 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Personally I already keep my remotes in a box to keep my remotes dust free. So the chances of this picking up much of anything up is unlikely. Still had I known... I very well might have chosen a different TV.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote